• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is mirtazapine and codeine OK to take together?

raphaelvize

Bluelighter
Hi guys, I'm currently on 15mg mirtazapine (on and off) for sleep mainly. Do you guys know of any interaction mirtazapine has with codeine? Online it says it's not a particularly dangerous combo, but i'm more concerned that it'll lesser the effects of the codeine high (because you know all the shit that mess with the CYP2D6 enzyme that coverts codeine to morphine). I'm just wandering if i should stop my mirtazapine for a few days to take codeine.

Yeah it is fine taking Mirtazapine PRN for sleep/relaxation

Just remember, you only need a low-moderate dose, as at those doseswitnis effectively a super potent H1 antagonist (de facto antihistamine) w/ other minor effects; upping the dose will change things a bit, assuming you just take it as a hypnotic

15mg is fine, missed that! You are ok - just don?t start throwing in other downers

Last edited:
You should be fine given the low dosages. But I wouldn’t recommend taking them at the same time! Take the codeine hours before bed time and then take the mirtzapan when the codeine is coming down. That way you’ll experience your wanted effects and then sail into a goodnights rest. Be safe and enjoy!

I never combined the two specifically but took mirtazapine with Suboxone (buprenorphine) which would typically be considered a stronger opioid receptor agonist and did not experience any kind of interactions. Keep your doses moderate and you should be fine. Like Granteloupe said, you would likely want to separate the dosing by a few hours. Codeine makes some people sleepy but it can have an opposite effect for many people so you may be working against yourself by taking both at the same time.