• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Is magnesium outside or inside the easy to swallow pills?

needforthc

Greenlighter
I'm asking because the loperamide I use has a considerable amount. I buy the easy to swallow ones( the ones you can open and powder will come out). Anyways, I have a very bad reaction to the magnesium in them(and in general). It makes me very anxious and it actually gives me diarrhea if I take more than 5-10. This eventually settles but the anxiety remains.

Anyways, would opening the pill and mixing the powder with water instead of eating them whole get rid of the magnesium?

nop, i think it would just mean you are drinking magnesium powder and lope mixed with water. right?

Do you know for sure that the magnesium isn't on the coating? If so, how come?

u mean peel off the coating and then swallow the pill then?

i don't think they would put magnesium in the coating tbh.

have you tried taking the pills after a meal? i have gotten stomach upset from taking lots of magnesium on an empty stomach before.

No man. I'm talking about the pills that you can open up, pour the powder out and then close them up again. Do you understand?

mmk, haven't come across pills you can open. u mean capsules?

3077556441_83d4770066_b.jpg
this is what I'm talking about

Thats loperamide? Looks like lansoprazole (Prevacid) but maybe that is just a sample image?

Those are gelcaps... the outside should be made of gelatin, the powder inside should be the active ingredient (Loperamide HCl) + various binders (lactose, magnesium stearate...).

Edit: Wait, isn't magnesium stearate only used to manufacture tablets? Are you sure there's even magnesium in there?

I'm 100% sure it has magnesium since I checked the exact product I buy and looked at the inactive ingredients. Indeed, that is a sample photo to show what I mean. Terrible for me with the magnesium :( . Maybe there's a way to take it out? Worst case scenario I'll buy the syrup which is just as cheap but very disgusting...

Every loperamide product other than liquid I have ever seen is these little tiny tablet pills. From the name brand Imodium to the generics (prefer generics). Why don't you just buy those? I cannot imagine that giant capsule is "easier to swallow" than the little tiny tablets.

Also, magnesium (think milk of magnesia--has like 1200 mg of magnesium hydroxide as its active ingredient) is a laxative. Unless there is a very small amount in your pill that would be an odd ingredient to put in a diarrhea medication...

You don't want the liquid Imodium. There are other ingredients in there. You want plain boring little tiny green generic loperamide tablets :)