• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is jaw clenching caused by serotonin?

Krikman666

Greenlighter
I've read somewhere that mdma causes the archetypical jaw clenching because of it's effect on serotonin (which further has something to do with the mandibular motor nerve 5 i belive). However there are lots of stims like coke and amphetamines which affect the serotonin much less, still they cause bruxism..

I'm curious about their relationship because bruxism was very annoying while on Lexapro.

I dont think bruxism is related to effects on serotonin. From my understanding its related to Magnesium depletion & CNS stimulation.

I dont think bruxism is related to effects on serotonin. From my understanding its related to Magnesium depletion & CNS stimulation.

CNS stimulation by what mechanism though? Serotonin release stimulates the CNS, so even if true your statement doesn't exclude serotonin release as a primary mechanism.

SSRIs can induce bruxism: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23037677
So can l-DOPA: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25195948

So it looks like serotonin activity alone can cause this side effect, as can dopamine activity on its own.

There's no evidence of MDMA depleting magnesium though, and no evidence of supplemental magnesium helping with bruxism outside of drug forums. In animal studies magnesium depletion actually decreases serotonin induced muscle hyperactivity: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19621270

Thank you for your replies, especially endotropic ( it's wonderful to get a researched answer in a science related forum) :)

I would of thought that Dopamine Played A Bigger Role then Serotonin In Jaw Clenching Or Epinephrine err, Adrenaline I Guess.....

Norepinephrine, not dopamine, probably plays the biggest role. But that's a wild guess.

Then why MDMA is the most often drug associated with jaw clenching? I taught mdma's effect was mainly on serotonin (ofc it affects e/ne but there are a lot of powerful stims that increase their levels way more..)

I taught mdma's effect was mainly on serotonin

It's not. It's actually a pretty powerful NE and dopamine releaser.

Drugs that selectively release serotonin have nowhere near the "impact" of stuff like MDA/MDMA/even methylone.

It's not. It's actually a pretty powerful NE and dopamine releaser.

Drugs that selectively release serotonin have nowhere near the "impact" of stuff like MDA/MDMA/even methylone.

MDAI is a fairly selective 5-HT releaser right? Trip reports range from "not as much bruxism as MDMA" to so much bruxism that "my teeth hurt the next day".

Hard to gauge the severity of clenching from a few isolated trip reports, but selective 5-HT releasers cause it to some extent at least.

Interested to hear what is determined, when at the Dentists He always points out an antidepressant as the Cause, possibly a beta blocker or benzo as well.

Interested to hear what is determined, when at the Dentists He always points out an antidepressant as the Cause, possibly a beta blocker or benzo as well.

SSRI's are known to cause bruxism, check out the first link I posted in post #4. They successfully treat it with low-dose aripiprazole in that case. Strangely they also mention that aripiprazole causes bruxism in patients maintained on lithium, so aripiprazole isn't a one size fits all bruxism cure.

SSRI's are known to cause bruxism, check out the first link I posted in post #4. They successfully treat it with low-dose aripiprazole in that case. Strangely they also mention that aripiprazole causes bruxism in patients maintained on lithium, so aripiprazole isn't a one size fits all bruxism cure.

Thanks for this, no longer on any Antidepressant though but it is Interesting.

I do not have a simple answer for you, but I can look into it. Let's look at one way to approach this:

which further has something to do with the mandibular motor nerve 5
You are referring to the 5th cranial nerve (aka the trigeminal nerve or nervus trigeminus), usually identified by roman numbers, V in this case. While these nerves belong to the peripheral part of the nervous system (except for cranial nerve II which innervates the eye), they do not run through your spinal cord which explains their name.

Now the N. trigeminus innervates the face. It originates from four neuronal clusters ('nuclei'), 3 of which are sensory while the remaining fourth nucleus is motoric. The nerve has 3 branches, the largest being the mandibular nerve which innervates the lower portion of the face (the mandibula is the lower jaw).

Now while the sensory fibers are running through all 3 trigeminal branches, most of the motoric fibers are found in the lowest branch, the mandibular nerve. Now this is where the magic happens. If you are talking about bruxism, the mandibular is the bad boy causing it.

So naturally, you want to find out what makes the mandibular nerve tick. This is where things become very complex. :D In other words: I am pretty clueless as to what exactly causes bruxism, but I will look into it!

So it looks like serotonin activity alone can cause this side effect, as can dopamine activity on its own.
There is no such thing, is there? :D

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3081266/ said:
Etiology [of bruxism]

Bruxism is considered to have multifactorial etiology. SB and grinding have been associated with peripheral factors such as tooth interference in dental occlusion, psychosocial influences such as stress or anxiety and central or pathophysiological causes involving brain neurotransmitters or basal ganglia [3].

Central or Pathophysiological Factors

More and more pathophysiological factors are suggested to be involved in the precipitation of bruxism. As the bruxism often occurs during sleep, the physiology of sleep has been studied extensively especially the ‘arousal response’ in search of possible causes of disorder. Arousal response is a sudden change in the depth of the sleep during which the individual either arrives in the lighter sleep stage or actually wakes up. Such a response is accompanied by gross body movements, increased heart rate, respiratory changes and increased muscle activity. Macaluso et al. [10] in their study showed 86% of bruxism episodes were associated with arousal response along with involuntary leg movements. This shows that bruxism is a part of arousal response indeed.

Recently it is derived that disturbances in central neurotransmitter system may be involved in the etiology of the bruxism [11, 12]. It is hypothesized that the direct and indirect pathways of the basal ganglion, a group of five subcortical nuclei that are involved in the coordination of movements is disturbed in bruxer. The direct output pathway goes directly from the stratum to the thalamus from where afferent signals project to the cerebral cortex. The indirect pathway on the other hand passes by several other nuclei before reaching it to the thalamus [13]. If there is imbalance between both the pathways, movement disorder results like Parkinson’s disease. The imbalance occurs with the disturbances in the dopamine mediated transmission of action potential. In case of bruxism there may be an imbalance in both the pathways. Acute use of dopamine precursors like L-dopa inhibits bruxism activity [11] and chronic long term use of l-dopa results in increased bruxism activity [11]. SSRTs (serotonin reuptake inhibitors) which exert an indirect influence on the dopaminergic system [14] may cause bruxism after long term use. Amphetamine [11] which increases the dopamine concentration by facilitating its release has been observed to increase bruxism. Nicotine stimulates central dopaminergic activities which might explain the finding that cigarette smokers report bruxism two times more than the non smokers [15].

3 Sleep bruxism; an overview of an oromandibular sleep movement disorder
10 Sleep bruxism is an disorder related to periodic arousals of sleep
11 The effect of catecholamine precursor L-dopa on sleep bruxism: a controlled clinical trial.
12 Striatal D2 receptor binding in sleep bruxism: a controlled study with iodine-123-iodobenzamide, single photon emission computed tomography
13 Bruxism is mainly regulated centrally and not peripherally
14 Reports of SSRI-associated bruxism in the family physician office
15 Recognition of amphetamine addicts

So in short, and we really could've figured this out, the mandibular nerve's action potential is reached through dopaminergic activity (as to how exactly, ask someone who's better at this shit than I am. I have next to no clue about all the crazy-ass brain circuitry). However serotonergic activity can cause dopaminergic activity (this really is infinitely more complex than I make it sound).

So let's break it down again:
Bruxism

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Mandibular nerve
(branch of trigeminal nerve)

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Motor nucleus of the trigeminal nerve

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Dopaminergic activation

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Increased serotonergic activity

Last edited:
Right, I could have more accurately said serotonergic drugs alone can cause bruxism, as can dopaminergic drugs on their own.
Just messing with you man. I know you know your shit. Moreso than I do anyway. :D

Just messing with you man. I know you know your shit. Moreso than I do anyway. :D

Well I appreciate it, but you should question everything I write just like anyone else. Especially since the SSRI induced bruxism has a downstream dopaminergic component, I think you had a good point.

Well I appreciate it, but you should question everything I write just like anyone else.
Oh trust me, I do. ;) I don't have to know all that much to discuss something, since the internet and it's libraries are such a great resource. Even based on mere common sense things can be questioned. I was still just messing around with you there and do think you are much better educated in this field.