• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Is it true that less is more with bupe?

Its true to a certain degree. iirc there is a metabolite that is a full agonist (Norbupe) that has a lower binding affinity than bupe itself. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the lower you go the higher you'll get.... Just theres a point of diminishing returns sofar as effects go. Higher doses are still better at shielding you against the effects of other opioids which is one of the reasons doctors like to go crazy with doses.

"Less is more" is a subjective experience. And it depends on what you're using it for.

Bupe is roughly 50 times more potent than morphine. Although only a partial agonist. This means it can take very little before your receptors are saturated. Compared to a full agonist, which if all your receptors were covered in a full agonist, you'd probably be dead.

And once they are saturated, they will stay like that for days because of bupe's half-life. Which means any subsequent dose will not have any perceptible effects. Because there are no receptors left to activate. At this point, bupe functions like an antagonist really. Blocking your receptors but no longer activating them. The higher you dose, the faster you'll reach this state & the longer you'll stay in it.

The dose response curve is also not linear. If you want to block other opiates, high doses are great. If you're some one who needs to feel your medicine in order to stop cravings, or you have a short supply, or you're using it for pain relief, this is where lower doses are better, because you'll still get some receptor activation when you dose the next time.

A person coming off of a full agonist may need higher doses to stop their withdrawals, but if you don't have a tolerance, high doses are completely unnecessary. If some one with no tolerance took a high dose indicated for addiction, they would probably have a non-fatal OD and feel very uncomfortable and sick. Possibly even fatal, but fatal OD with bupe is rare. Especially if bupe is the only drug taken. With no tolerance, a person can feel bupe at dosages as low as 2mcg. That is how potent it is.
I've seen people uncontrollably nod and throw up from doses much lower than 1mg.

Last edited:
Be careful. Before I went on maintainence and ultimately ended up on Methadone, I had a bad Hydromorphone habbit. Looking back I wish I had just withdrew from that and went on with my life. Withdrawls from maintainence drugs like Bupe and Methadone are so much more drawn out and imo, wd from Bupe is just about as bad as any other full agonist that I tried to kick.
Not implying that you aren't aware of this or anything, just giving my experience.

Be careful. Before I went on maintainence and ultimately ended up on Methadone, I had a bad Hydromorphone habbit. Looking back I wish I had just withdrew from that and went on with my life. Withdrawls from maintainence drugs like Bupe and Methadone are so much more drawn out and imo, wd from Bupe is just about as bad as any other full agonist that I tried to kick.
Not implying that you aren't aware of this or anything, just giving my experience.
The problem is if you arent on maintenance and relapse ( which is more likely than not) your tolerance falls off a cliff and theres a huge risk of overdose and death. We dont know anything about OPs use at this point so idk...

The problem is if you arent on maintenance and relapse ( which is more likely than not) your tolerance falls off a cliff and theres a huge risk of overdose and death. We dont know anything about OPs use at this point so idk...
Yeah I wanted to be careful not to assume too much given the very limited info op left us. All I can do is emphasize that this was my experience (the short version) with maintainence drugs.
And you are absoulutely right about relapse. Many people tell you to simply use Bupe for a week or two( I kind of did just that in my post w/o realizing it)and then taper despite the point of maintainence drugs being to "maintain". To use while you figure out what led you to addiction in the first place.

Monday will be 4 weeks off 2mg/day and I still feel withdrawal symptoms every day. It gets better every week though.