• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is it so called "Robo-itch"? Itching from DXM or not?

Renald

Bluelighter
I am a user of very small recreational doses of DXM (100-200 mg, no more), and do it rarely, so I still am not acquainted to the effects of a drug.
Sometimes (not every time), when I take my usual recreational low DXM dose, I begin to feel my cheeks and ears flush and feel a little itchy. Is is so called Robo-itch, or itching, caused by DXM?

I've taken DXM only once, but I do not remember itching. What I remember is that for a few moments my skin burned as if it were on fire, and it wasn't pleasant at all.

A third-generation antihistamine like Cetirizine or Dexchlorpheniramine may help relieve that symptom. I do not think there is any interaction to highlight.

DocLad

It's often caused by the DXM itself, but some people have allergies to the dyes in the cough syrup itself when it's consumed in high doses. But 9 times out of 10 it's the DXM itself. Itching is a normal side effect of high dose DXM.

I am using DXM in tabs (15 mg of DXM, the only ingredient). This symptom occur not always. Just itchy and burning face and ears. No symptoms in the body. Unpleasant, but surely bearable. Last time it occurred I took 15 mg (less than a third of 50 mg capsule) of DPH, and symptoms subsided.

Anybody used some non-sedative antihistamine with large DXM dose to fight these symptoms?

Presumably the itching is due to histamine release, even ~25-50mg of DPH would help.

DXM is an histamine releaser? Yes, surely, ~20 mg DPH for me (60 kg person) stops it in ah hour.

Yeah I had such effects the other day, unusually for me, after using a fair bit of DXM to help deal with a day withdrawing on opioids, made the palms of my hands feel like they had been subjected to a chemical burn. I actually started checking the gloves I'd been wearing, to see if I'd accidentally got a bit of glacial acetic acid on there or something, but no, it seems to have been the DXM.