• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Is it safe to take expired, smelly anti-biotics? (lol, but seriously)

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I KNOW, I KNOW. But the vast majority of expired medication is only recommended against being taken as it can be less effective, not due to any actual danger. And surely less-effective meds are better than none?

Preface: I am in moderate opioid withdrawals - but getting my script later today - which is probably contributing towards me feeling worse.

I DO NOT have covid. I've been tested. I've had a bad cough/chest for about 10 days now and it's gradually getting worse. Especially over the last few days, I can be coughing until I'm dizzy or almost vomit from the intensity and find myself wheezing a lot (not asthmatic). The mucous has gone from like a translucent yellow to a much thicker green consistency, I overall feel terrible, and have seen blood droplets come out while coughing into a tissue. Smoking is almost impossible (I'm down from maybe 25 a day to struggling to get through half a one maybe 8 times a day).

How far expired are they??
And what were you prescribed them for beforehand?

Unless you have the full prescription available, I wouldn't take them. You need to finish them in full in order for any sort of infection to not recur. (Or so my doctor says)

Thanks for the replies :)

I've decided to wait and call my doctor tomorrow if I don't feel any better. Doctors here (UK) are EXTREMELY stingy with prescribing antibiotics, but you don't ask, you don't get, so I'm at least going to see what he does first.

The reason I'm considering taking the expired ones if he won't prescribe is that I once had a severe ear infection and was in considerable pain. The doctor told me that they don't prescribe anti-biotics for ear infections because they go away themselves in "two to three weeks". Now, I have a decent pain tolerance but the pain was BAD and it had only been 3 days. No way in hell was I suffering like that for WEEKS. I had some Co-Amoxiclav and decided to just start taking them. About an hour after taking the first one, there was a POP in my ear, a loadddd of puss and blood came out and the pain went away and (I continued taking the anti-biotics and luckily has a full 7 day supply) didn't come back and I felt 90% better within 48 hours.

Antibiotics are different from other drugs, they can definitely expire.
In order to treat an infection you have to take the correct antibiotic, at the right dose and for a specific amount of time, otherwise it can end up causing significantly more harm than good.
I really wouldn't recommend self-medicating with those kinds of drugs unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

What @4meSM said.

Do not self medicate with antibiotics. Ever. They do expire and not taking the correct antibiotic for the correct length of time will only end up with you worse off.

If you are in considerable pain with something like an ear infection then go back to your dr. If they don’t listen then get a second opinion.

antibiotics aint something u take for feeling sick/shitty or as random doses..... theres good reasons why they aint OTC in most places and shitty aftermath where they are

Sorry, just realised they're tabs u already had that u must have got prescribed in the past..... like I say its really amoxycilllin ya need pal if its for a chest infection. I'm not long finished a 2 wk Flucloxacillin course due to a bad infection I had on my arm frm shooting H

That's it! I lacerated my arm. That what I was given the flucloxacillin for.
Yeah it's really amoxycilllin ya need then buddy. Try not to worry about the blood droplets especially if they're bright red, u've prob just antagonised ur throat frm coughing so much & have a wee tear in it. My friend had exact same few wks ago & the GP referred him to the local hossie for lung xray & everything was clear 👍🏻

Sorry, just realised they're tabs u already had that u must have got prescribed in the past..... like I say its really amoxycilllin ya need pal if its for a chest infection. I'm not long finished a 2 wk Flucloxacillin course due to a bad infection I had on my arm frm shooting H
Dunno how I ended up with the wound in my arm that ended up getting badly infected as it was all brand new, sterile equipment I used & had used heroin frm the same batch in the previous & following days with no problems