• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is it safe to take a ludicrously high dose of Lyrica?

Coatzaking

Greenlighter
Like 1.8-2g? My tolerance has gone up and anything lower than 1.5g is wasted on me. I've scoured the web and found no reliable answers to this question. Can high doses of Lyrica damage the kidneys/liver, for instance?

I don't know if it can cause kidney issues, I don't think thats a common problem, but I don't think high doses have been studied. I think I may have heard a rumor or two a long time ago. But I think some people take high doses and its no issue. Ive done up to 6g many times and my kidneys are fine.

Probably fine if and only if you don't combine it with anything. It has very few real side effects. Water retention, edema, progressing to heart failure is a rare one and probably only a risk in the elderly.

He means he thinks it's okay to take that dose. I respectfully disagree and think this is a moderately risky thing not worth doing. Doses of 1,800 mg - 2,000 mg probably are not high enough to kill you if you're fairly healthy to begin with, but is it really worth pushing your luck? You are correct in that it has to pass through your liver and kidneys. The damage is probably dealt out if you continuously use huge doses. Also with tolerance comes dependence. The risk there is that, due to its anti-convulsive properties, should you suddenly quit using Lyrica after you've built up tolerance/dependence, you could go into convulsions / have a seizure that could potentially be lethal.

Last edited:
yes, i wouldn't go using that every day. but once and a while, i dont see a problem.

Just anecdotally, as I get pregabalin for neuropathic pain and it is doing very little so I don't take it regularly, few weeks ago I took 1800mg. This was after I didn't take it for few weeks. It resolved the pain by putting me to sleep and I didn't have complications. Largest dose before this one was 600mg in one go. What are the true risks I truly don't know but have read people taking ridiculously high dosages. Only real issue I heard of is that it can cause seizures when dosage is too high.