• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Is it safe to mix benzo's with ambien?

Faceless1736

Greenlighter
That's pretty much it, I just took like 5 ambien and was just wondering if I could safely take some Xanax I have. I know like mixing downers usualy isn't safe, ex: vicodin and benzo's. So just wondering if it's safe to take them both.

Is it safe? Not really.
Has it been done? Yes.
Harm reduction advice: Just don't. Choose one or the other IMO. But I am also being a hipocrite(sp?) with this advice.

Completely safe if you're looking for somewhere between getting high and death!

Yea I knew it wasn't overly safe or anything, but do you think it would be to dangerous just to take 1 bar? I'm all outof ambien untill weds when I refill my proscription and I barly got a buzz on. So it's really tempting but I don't wanna hurt myself to bad .

Yea I knew it wasn't overly safe or anything, but do you think it would be to dangerous just to take 1 bar? I'm all outof ambien untill weds when I refill my proscription and I barly got a buzz on. So it's really tempting but I don't wanna hurt myself to bad .

you wouldn't be outta ambien if you didn't just take 5 of them lol..
don't take the xanax, save it for when you have no ambien.

I dont think ambien causes respatory depression so your not gonna die from that but there is a big chance your gonna black out and do something stupid so you know.

ive never taken xanax with ambien but i have taken numerous benzos while on ambien and nothing dangerous has happened...i guess it just depends on ur tolerance and size

if anything, it will increase the effects of the ambien

I have took ambien with 1mg xanax before went to bed slept. No bad side effects. I pretty sure its a NO NO

I once used (yes... very stupid I already know dont need to hear it Ive learned since) in order from first to last 2-3 30mg Temazepam , x2 80mg OCs (done throughout day), and stupid me took 2 zoplicone as if what I took wasn't gonna make me sleepy enough... Week or 2 later hear a story from a friend I sold a small amount of pot to that night... ya apparently I was sleeping sitting up in the backseat drooling on my self... Lost something like 1\2 - full oz. of green and like 50-60 30mg Temazepams... I remember nothing of the day and quick stupid question which yes I know can be searched just don't be rude.. zoplicone compared to ambien?? differences? similarities? Cant remember same drug.. or just something very very similar.. From what I remember there are 3 Z drugs they call them.. which are all for sleeping and are somewhat different if anyone could explain would be greatly appreciated... Honestly Ive never came deadly close to OD'in but I can def. say there was probably at least 5 times when I was close... just a few words to give ideas... premium H, fentanyl patch, and high doses of methadone when Ive never been on it.. only tried it maybe 5 times... those 3 opiates are the 3 Ive come closest to death with and ya they are the strongest opiates so anyone who has tried these 3 (on their own not in combination) about 10 times or more a piece can definitely agree with me... especially when any 3 of these opiates are combined with benzos... thats def. increases chances of death when using any of these opiates...

Define 'safe'

I have had multiple doctors 'confirm' that it is 'safe' (with no questions asked it seems) to combine ambien klonopin ativan and methadone or oxycodone with dexamph (my point being, how can they possibly claim this was safe? Oh yeah, at the doses intended)

Is it really [safe]? Hell no; but, that's only my opinion -- I don't have any proof other than 'my body tells me so.' Perhaps important to note is that though I never really drank, I did unintentionally overdose in combination with alcohol in a very dangerous way: ended up in the hospital but probably would not have died at 84% oxygen.

Not trying to say don't use these meds but if you take higher doses than you should be prepared to face a more unknown realm.

I'm prescribed both Xanax and Ambien. My doctor never said not to mix them, but I'm allowed 5 1mg Xannys a day, so certainly by the time I take the Ambien I'll still have some benzos in my system. Of course I'm prescribed just one Ambien a night, so five may not be so safe to mix. Geez, five is a lot. Are they the 5's or 10mgs? I think you should just be satisfied with the Ambien alone, less is more...save yourself an overdose.

woke up ,popped 150 Wellbutrin XR+4mgs Subutex+1.25mgs Ativan roughly 1 hour before my daily swimming session ;from the swimming pool to the pharmacy to grab some Dormicum/Stilnox tabs ,now I´m home chopping lines of 1mg Sub+10mgs Stilnox(Ambien in the US I guess)+0.25mg Loprazolam(Dormonoct)+7.5 Midazolam(Dormicum)+200 Methylone(roughly) ... safe? Probably not but this is FUKKIN´AWEEEEeeeEEEeeSOME !!!!!

I dont think ambien causes respatory depression so your not gonna die from that but there is a big chance your gonna black out and do something stupid so you know.

Yes yes yes. This would be my only concern as well

Although I took 20mg of ambien last night an 2.5-3 mg Xanax and live to tell the tale. Didn't even wake late was up at the crack of dawn

I've been on both zopiclone and zoplidem. Zopiclone barely helped me slept even. But now I have 10mg sublingual zoplidems (ambien) and boy have I been having a time. Can put. My self in a really grippy nice dream state if u know what I mean

Kind of depends on tolerance, I think. I've swallowed a full script of Ambien in one day numerous times, but I learned 3 10mg tablets is the threshold for me between staying in reality or heading off to fantasy land where I lose control.

1mg Xanax on top of 5 Ambien..hmm doesn't sound like a death wish to me as far as putting to many drugs in your body.....It's just what you do once it all takes effect, because benzos and Ambien are both well known for effecting your memory.

Zopiclone sucks ass. It's like a poor man's Ambien. It smells like shit, it tastes like shit, and it'll black you out a little, but not like the full on approach Ambien has. One thing about it is that it's marketed to last longer (if you have problems staying asleep)..It does that..kind of. I wouldn't touch it again. Get temazepam instead.

Well this is a really old thread, so I doubt the poster is reading this anymore. But for anyone else who might be interested. I'm assuming by safe he meant risk of death. Obviously u shouldn't be driving on ambien & Xanax. As long as your a relatively healthy adult you shouldn't die or OD or anything. Like other posts have said Ambien doesn't affect or slow down the respiratory system like Heroin & opiates do, which is why so many OD's occur when opiates & Xanax are mixed. So you should be relatively safe on that front. Depending on tolerance, dosage, & amount taken there's a good chance of blacking out or having memory issues tho. That's why u definitely shouldn't be driving w/ them. Someone w/ little to no tolerance will almost certainly either black out or at least not remember parts of the night of theyre mixing them

Last edited:
I realize this thread is dated & the poster has already gotten his answer & probably isn't looking back at this, but on the off chance I am curious as to how often u take Ambien & what yor normal dosage is? 5 ambien's seems a little extreme. Frankly I'm surprised after 5 ambiens that u were coherent enough to write out this question. It sounds like u have a prescription, but I'm assuming it's not for 5 a night. I have a relative who has a prescription of 10mg ambiens, but rarely takes them. I've definitely binged on them before. I like to take them when I smoke weed at night sometimes. I know tolerance goes up quick. I've had binges where I've taken them pretty much nightly for like 3 weeks at a time. After about a week I progress from 1 a night to 2. The effects definitely go down w/ tolerance. There's been 2 occasions where I've taken 3 10mg ambiens while smoking, but both times it didn't really add to my high like I wanted b/c it just made it to hard to stay awake & Id pass out w/out getting to enjoy it. Then groggy some the next day too. I can't imagine taking 5 & then doing anything but falling asleep Invthe next hour, let alone being able to take a Xanax bar & enjoy it's effects. Pry feel rundown & shitty the next day too