• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Is it safe to drink and take Ritalin

TheTimeTraveller

Greenlighter
I've been taking Ritalin all day and I will probably take more through the night. My buddy wants me to drink is it safe to mix the two?

I wouldn't recommend it. Any stimulant and alcohol can be a bad idea

It’s probably not gonna kill you if you have a strong heart but it definitly won’t be good for you. On top of that stimulants like ritalin make you think you are less drunk then you are, causing you to drink more to get drunk. Then when the stims wear off you will be much more intoxicated from the extra alcohol you consumed.

If it’s just a couple drinks you should be fine though

Yeah a couple drinks would probably be ok, just make sure you limit yourself it is possible to induce alcohol poisoning on stims and not realize until after the stims wear off

That's what I'm saying, just pick a limit and stick to it. The real danger is overdoing the alcohol

It’s probably not gonna kill you if you have a strong heart but it definitly won’t be good for you. On top of that stimulants like ritalin make you think you are less drunk then you are, causing you to drink more to get drunk. Then when the stims wear off you will be much more intoxicated from the extra alcohol you consumed.

If it’s just a couple drinks you should be fine though
Thanks I was only going to drink an 8 pack I was just worried it might kill me

Unless you have a heart problem it’s not gonna kill you. That being said it can cause heart problems if you make this a habit, so try to avoid this situation as much as possible.

Problem with stims and booze is they mask how drunk you're getting (and how much stims you're on). You'll stay "alert" longer, and never quite feel that drunk high.

So the risk is drinking way too much, and thinking you're alert enough to drive or answer the door for the cops when the party gets too loud, etc. And, if you start coming down off a lot of booze, your heart races and your BP shoots up, which is something you don't want to mix with stims, and you don't want to comedown from both at the same time, or you'll really get the panicking howling fantods.

And then, booze will drain the moisture out of you, on top of constantly pissing from the stims.

Best thing is to stick to water while you're speeding, save any booze for the stim come-down. If you do want to drink while using stims, just remember to keep it light and modest, and you'll be fine*.

*Fine is a relative term.

ETA: Ritallin/methylphenidate has a very short half-life, btw, so it'll wear off pretty quick. For what that's worth.

It’s just like mixing booze and cocaine. It’s not going to do you any more long term damage than a cumdown and/or hangover.

Methylphenidate is practically synthetic cocaine designed in a lab in the 1950s as a dopamine reuptake inhibitor to mimic cocaine. On the left is methylphenidate. On the right is cocaine. They both bond very strongly to the brain’s dopamine reuptake inhibitors.

ritalin_cocaine1-1.jpg

Part of the motivation was an attempt to replace amphetamines which were just beginning to be noticed as harmful and addictive. “Speed” has the difference of being more a dopamine releasing agonist. Big difference being is that adderall/amphetamine still has an effect that’s very noticable when swallowed, as in first pass liver metabolism makes a bit of a difference, but you still feel it. If you ever crush up about 60mg to 80mg of methylphenidate and sniff it up, the similarity to cocaine is undeniable. Bypassing the first pass liver metabolism by absorbing it through the mucus membranes makes you high as a kite! If you get a small amount of cocaine and swallowed it as a tablet, you’d hardly notice, but it would certainly improve the symptoms of ADHD temporarily.

Mixing booze and stims can mask one or the other, making you high on both, yet unaware how imtoxicated you are on either.

Cocaine and methylphenidate are two exceptions to the usual rule here.

Booze and speed is just like having an upper and a downer that mask each other a bit. Alcohol can even give some relief to an amphetamine comedown.

However, if you have alcohol in your system and you snort cocaine you now have three drugs in your system because the cocaine and booze undergo transesterification into cocaethylene via enzymes in the liver, which is a stronger laster longing drug than cocaine, and is more efficient at releasing dopamine. This is why booze does not cure a coke comedown or sober you uo. It just makes you higher!

Same goes for methylphenidate. If you spend the night boozing and crushing and sniffing, the booze don’t counteract it. It pretty much does exactly what it does witn cocaine. Hepatic transesterification adding turning some of the methylphenidate into ethylphenidate, which is a stronger lomger lasting drig than methylphenidate more efficient at releasing dopamine. Hence booze will accenctuate the effect of the methylphenidate, you will feel sober due to the stimulants, but technically you will still he drunk as alcohol will be in your blood but you’l feel the Ritalin®? more.

I advise you not to crush and sniff. It will cause the same problems as a cocaine habit, and once the inhaled up the nose route has been tried, a three pill a day swallowed prescription will become a 10 pill a day snorted for a monthly 3 day bender once a month and I’m yet to meet the person who’s had stimulant psychosis and enjoyed it, and counting 20 something days for the next prescription climbing the walls ain’t good either. I’ve never understood why methylphenidate hasn’t been picked up on by chemists who fancy their hand at “Breaking Bad” in real life. I guess it’s because a cheaper, purer, in my opinion a product which is a cleaner more euphorichigh than cocaine, is 2.5x as powerful mg for mg (assuming both are pure product). Where I live now, it’s anything but pure. If they accidentally spill any coke in with the lidocaine, internet RCs, and caffeine tablets, they call it “fucking rocket fuel mate! Best coke ANYWHERE!” which translates to “thanks for the money you can’t afford. You may as well just sniff the entire fucking lot in one go. You might get numb teeth and feel powerful and spend the next half hour congratulating yourself, before coming down, and remembering cocaine is actually shit, and you could have and you could have and should have spent it on anything else.

Come on you lazy chemists. It can’t be that hard! Gotta be easier than LSD! Untapped market too! Ethylphenidate went down to £2 gram at it’s height, and that was made in labs in China by people who were trained very well, testing at 99%!

Sorry, rant! To answer your question, you’ll have a good night!

Methylphenidate resembles Benadryl and Zoloft more than it resembles cocaine. And out of all the monoamine reuptake inhibitors, sertraline/Zoloft actually has the highest affinity for the dopamine transporter. Problem is dosage and protein binding.

Cocaine does do magic with booze, but that's it. Alcohol doesn't make any special liver cocktail with methylphenidate, please, ADD kids reading this, don't go snorting your meds and chasing it with vanilla extract, you'll just get sick.

But I agree with kemikolz,
I advise you not to crush and sniff.

Why keep on taking them throughout the night? If you have already had a good-sized dose it really won't do anything but increase negative side effects if you keep re-dosing over and over

Alcohol doesn't make any special liver cocktail with methylphenidate,

Whether or not you consider ethylphenidate special is a matter of opinion, but methylphenidate does in fact transesterify in similar fashion to cocaine

You are correct that reaction happens. What I mainly objected to was this statement:

kemikoolz said:
Hepatic transesterification adding turning some of the methylphenidate into ethylphenidate, which is a stronger lomger lasting drig than methylphenidate more efficient at releasing dopamine.

If anything, ethylphenidate is weaker, and not a dopamine releasing agent. Although after double checking, it looks like booze might increase free methylphenidate, and maybe that's what Mr. Koolz was thinking.