• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is it relatively safe to take 4 30/500 co codamol at once?

Because in low doses it can help the patient need less of the opiate to achieve proper pain relief. Opiates alone are not the best pain relievers because the doses needed to achieve proper pain relief cause side effects such as constipation, dry mouth, lethargy, and a high chance for addiction/tolerance increasing.

Studies have shown adding 500-1000mgs of acetaminophen or an anti inflammatory (ibuprofen) instead of using opiates alone can lower the dose needed of opiates by up to 50 percent. Hence why drugs like percocet, vicodin, Tylenol 3 , Co codamol, and vicprofen exist. But it is supposed to help stop abuse too but they should realise people are going to abuse it. I don't have a perfect solution in mind because mixing the two drugs does lower the dose needed of opiates so its not pointless but I do know if you tell your doctor your addicted to these OTC codeine products and ingesting high doses of apap certain caring doctor have been known to prescribe the patient codeine without the apap to save their liver until they can get help for addiction.

Last edited:
You'll be prefectly fine,just dont go over 4000mg/day of APAP(Tylenol)on a regular basis.

I learned something! :)
Dallas TX, hence , never heard o' paracetamol so I was just trying to keep the dude safe and told him strip it out ... but ya, you can eat 2000 and be fine.

I've done research and from my understanding, yes, 4000 MG is the daily limit BUT its not considered an overdose unless you do 10G's of the stuff.

I learned something! :)
Dallas TX, hence , never heard o' paracetamol so I was just trying to keep the dude safe and told him strip it out ... but ya, you can eat 2000 and be fine.

I'm in the UK and I had the same problem when I first started seeing paracetamol called acetaminophen .

Because in low doses it can help the patient need less of the opiate to achieve proper pain relief. Opiates alone are not the best pain relievers because the doses needed to achieve proper pain relief cause side effects such as constipation, dry mouth, lethargy, and a high chance for addiction/tolerance increasing.

Studies have shown adding 500-1000mgs of acetaminophen or an anti inflammatory (ibuprofen) instead of using opiates alone can lower the dose needed of opiates by up to 50 percent. Hence why drugs like percocet, vicodin, Tylenol 3 , Co codamol, and vicprofen exist. But it is supposed to help stop abuse too but they should realise people are going to abuse it. I don't have a perfect solution in mind because mixing the two drugs does lower the dose needed of opiates so its not pointless but I do know if you tell your doctor your addicted to these OTC codeine products and ingesting high doses of apap certain caring doctor have been known to prescribe the patient codeine without the apap to save their liver until they can get help for addiction.

Makes sense, thanks for the info.

And yeah your codeine solution will be just fine. AFAIK you can store it for a long time without degradation at room temp or otherwise. I have forgotten about bottles of cwe'd codeine and consumed it months afterward and still had it work just fine

I've done research and from my understanding, yes, 4000 MG is the daily limit BUT its not considered an overdose unless you do 10G's of the stuff.

Really?I'm not doubting you I've just never heard the 10 gram thing.Do you remember where you heard this?

Just an update: I walk my dogs on the local park every morning with a few other dog walkers. One of the other dog walkers is a pain management nurse at the QE Hospital in Birmingham UK. The QE has a lot of cancer patients, but they also treat a lot of our troops injured in Afghan and Iraq. Anyway she is the head nurse in charge of all pain management for the QE. I've never raised this subject with her before as it wasn't something I wanted other people knowing about. Today, I asked her if 4 30/500's totaling a dose of 2000 mg of paracetamol was enough to cause liver failure, she said absolutely yes, even in healthy people it can be enough to send someone in to acute liver failure. She said she's seen it happen. Now, I don't know if she was just trying to scare me or not, but she seemed pretty sure about what she was saying.

You'd need a pretty frail liver for 2 grams of APAP to cause acute liver failure, the FDA's guideline for a long time was no more than 4 grams in 24h...

You'd need a pretty frail liver for 2 grams of APAP to cause acute liver failure, the FDA's guideline for a long time was no more than 4 grams in 24h...

The nurse I spoke with said although the guidelines state no more than 4000 mg in 24hr they also state no more than 1000 mg in single a dose and anything more than 1000 mg in a single dose or more than 1000 mg within 4 hours can be fatal. Again, those are her words not mine. I came across the link I posted above that completely contradicts what she said.

Just an update: I asked my doctor if he would prescribe codeine phosphate instead of co codamol, I told him I was concerned about taking anything with paracetamol in it. He said sure no problem and prescribed me 100 30mg codeine phosphate AND put them on repeat prescription :)

Just an update: I asked my doctor if he would prescribe codeine phosphate instead of co codamol, I told him I was concerned about taking anything with paracetamol in it. He said sure no problem and prescribed me 100 30mg codeine phosphate AND put them on repeat prescription :)

Great man glad to hear:) that'll save your liver opiates by themselves are not very hard on the body at all.
Some doctors are caring as I said before and will help you out by switching you to a apap free painkiller.

Just don't start gobbling them all down like candy because there's no apap in them;) if you do then you'll have a whole new set of problems alot worse than a bit of acetaminophen.

Great man glad to hear:) that'll save your liver opiates by themselves are not very hard on the body at all.
Some doctors are caring as I said before and will help you out by switching you to a apap free painkiller.

Just don't start gobbling them all down like candy because there's no apap in them;) if you do then you'll have a whole new set of problems alot worse than a bit of acetaminophen.

Thank's, trainspotter10102. And thank you for the help and advice. Thanks to everyone else who gave me advice too, it's much appreciated. I'm just going to keep the codeine as a weekend thing, just 4 on a Saturday and the same on Sunday will do me.

Hi again guys,

I just have a quick question. I took 5 30 mg codeine phosphate at 10 am this morning, it's now almost 5pm. Would it be safe to take another 5?

u definatly shouldnt take that much tylenol, ur asking for severe liver issues. definatly do a CWE