• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is it possible a psychedelic with only visuals and not headspace?

iueuifsjrireio

Greenlighter
As the neurological mechanism of serotonergic psychedelics is not well understood yet I guess this is an unsolved question.
I guess the 5-ht2a (and other recpetors like 5-ht2c) which are target for psychedelics modulate much more functions that visual processing/imagery and that's the reason why psych's also causes strong mental effects.
However there should be at least theoretically a way to modify the visual system (both eyes open and closed) without touching other mental aspects (apart from the emotional/intelectual response the the visuals)

EDIT: I am not asking for a recommendation of such a psychedelic as it currently does not exist. As far as I know every psych has strong mental and (ofen) physical effects when the dose is high enough and none has empty headspace.
Also I understand some criticism as all the effects are inseparable and important/useful. However I think the question is still useful for the understanding of the visual part of the psychedelics and eventually to modify/manipulate/create a substance which changes the brain in such a way (like having a VR glasses but with the inmersivity of psychedelic visuals)

Last edited:
go for 2c-b
It isn't really 5ht-2a agonist at all if I'm not mistaken.
Very casual trip, lots of fun and benign, easy sort of enlightenment
lots of visuals in twisting green and purple

It IS a 5HT2a PAM.

It's the fact that it doesn't seem to bind to monoamine transports that makes it benign, but it causes all of the changes (not just visual) of any 5HT2a PAM.

One person's subjective experience isn't evidence.

25-C-NBome is the most visual, least head fucking psychedelic I’ve ever tried. I wouldn’t recommend it though.

The mind part is IMO an inseparable part of the experience that should be cherished. I remember also wanting a purely visual psychedelic and then when I got it felt it was lacking.

Mescaline is the best least head fucky psychedelic I’d recommend. It’s still got some headspace to it but it’s much warmer and friendly compared to say mushrooms or LSD.

-GC

A psychedelic that only created visual effects, would be better named a pseudopsychedelic, or some such shit.

Good point. Maybe go back to the old “hallucinogen” title. I remember when I was young that’s what I called them but once you understand the complexity of the mindset, “psychedelic” seems much more fitting.

-GC

go for 2c-b
It isn't really 5ht-2a agonist at all if I'm not mistaken.
2C-B is definitely a 5-HT2A agonist..

It just has a very low efficacy for both the canonical Gq-signaling pathway, as well as the the non-canonical Gi and G12/13 signaling pathways. The Nichols lab found that it had a much higher efficacy for the Gq pathway, but they used rat 5-HT2A receptors. Additionally, 2C-B strongly recruits beta-arrestin to the 5-HT2A receptor, a protein whose importance in psychedelic activity should not be underestimated. Beta-arrestin knockout mice, for example, don't respond to LSD in a prototypical manner.

Beta-arrestin knockout mice, for example, don't respond to LSD in a prototypical manner.
Is there a good strain of these currently? I remember the shitshow from the mu opioid biased agonism paper getting walked back due to insufficiencies in the genetic background of the beta arrestin knockout mouse line.

4-HO-MET has disproportionate visuals relative to the headspace (especially the first time you used it).

If you want visuals with zero headspace you could take 150mg of sildenafil (however the headspace will replaced with a terrible headache).

Is there a good strain of these currently? I remember the shitshow from the mu opioid biased agonism paper getting walked back due to insufficiencies in the genetic background of the beta arrestin knockout mouse line.
For what's it's worth, the arrestin-KO/LSD findings came from the Roth lab and they don't mention any issues with the strains they obtained. Maybe at some point they can do some work with conditional knockouts, that would make the findings much more airtight.