• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Misc Is it normal to get a visit by Gardai detectives in Ireland?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I'm pretty sure this doesn't have to do with my drug consumption (apart from prescription forgery). I was visited two years ago in August 2019 by two plain clothed officers (dressed in business attire but no Gardai uniform) who drove a black unmarked car. They knocked on my door, showed a badge and took down my phone number. They just asked if anyone else lived in the house and went on their way.

Now I've asked a few friends as well as others on Reddit and they say that it's not normal at all to get a visit by detectives. They are usually responsible for investigating crimes/responsible for counterterrorism. I was thinking maybe it has to do with my forging a script but I was cautioned for that two years before the incident (in 2017).

I haven't heard back from them.

I don’t know anything about Ireland but you’d think whatever it was has been forgotten about in the last 2 years. Especially since they didn’t even question you. Had you lived in the house a long time? Had flatmates? Maybe they were really after somebody else.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't have to do with my drug consumption (apart from prescription forgery). I was visited two years ago in August 2019 by two plain clothed officers (dressed in business attire but no Gardai uniform) who drove a black unmarked car. They knocked on my door, showed a badge and took down my phone number. They just asked if anyone else lived in the house and went on their way.

Now I've asked a few friends as well as others on Reddit and they say that it's not normal at all to get a visit by detectives. They are usually responsible for investigating crimes/responsible for counterterrorism. I was thinking maybe it has to do with my forging a script but I was cautioned for that two years before the incident (in 2017).

While there are enough current Eire residents posting on here to put me in my place, my maternal heritage saw my Grandparents home in Dublin's Northside established as a second home for the first 20 years of my life. When I started using drugs in the mid 90's, the corrupt behaviour of the local Gardai became immediately apparent. My eldest cousin was well known as an occasional drug user (cannabis and ecstasy) with that fact providing probable cause for no less than 7 raids on his parents house in which the polices eyes were completely acceptable - despite them not finding nor expecting to find anything of substance it established the fact that they had total power over him by punishing his innocent parents. My own personal experience saw me detained with him and my other cousin (his brother) on Bull Island beach. We only had ourselves to blame by attracting suspicion, but despite having had a smoke we had no leftover drugs (by design in anticipation of what happened) an hour or so later when, about to leave, we were suddenly blocked in by a marked Gardai car. With no detectable smell even left I, used to the UK police, assumed that we would be given a warning, bullet having been carefully and deliberately dodged, but with my cousin a well known and well liked 'face' within the local youth the officers made it clear that they were deeply unhappy with his criminal history. He did not have one and following the raids the police had come to the conclusion that he deserved one for thinking he could engage in drug use without grassing up his friends in payment of his transgressions. The police needed to be seen acting against low level drug suppliers as for obvious reasons they had no interest in going up against actual OCG's, all of them having being freshly armed by sectarian groups pretending to drop their weapons to play politics. The only power they had was over children (while hardly young we were all still just about teenagers) and after finding no drugs and despite there just being the 2 of them (as opposed to the raids), not having any to plant on us.

This did not stop them threatening us anyway. You can tell me how full of BS I am but having been there I do not care. They produced a bottle of Vaseline from the patrol car and started to threaten my cousin again, stating that we would all be arrested for indecent and lewd behaviour should he fail to provide them with drug related intelligence ("You know anyone with Rizla's in their gaff? Tell us now because if we find your fingerprints on a packet later you will be locked up and the key thrown away).

While, like most LE agencies, I am sure that their are good officers doing good work somewhere, I believe that with respect to the Dublin uniformed Gardai, they could probably be counted on one hand and when you add crooked ass detectives into the mix I would fell no better - they have demonstrably failed at their jobs. I honestly include my personal safety as one of the reasons I have not been 'home' in nearly 8 years - the violence and chaos I have seen dragged from my beloved Coolock to Drogheda is beyond the Gardai's control or interest as far as I can see and as such I would expect them to still be picking on innocent people for all sorts. I would make sure I have easy access to a lawyer as while I am sure you will be OK, the caution should have been the final disposal regarding your very minor offence so I would see no legitimate reason as to why they are hassling you, other to cause trouble.

Is it normal? No

If nothing has happened since it then honestly I wouldn’t worry. They could have had the wrong address or anything. I promise you the An Garda Síochána have more pressing matters.

This was 2 years ago you say, and you haven't heard anything else from them?

It could have been anything, I'm just speculating on what may have been the reason for the visit; perhaps they were going door to door looking for a suspect in some crime that had absolutely nothing to do with you? Or perhaps you fitted the description of a suspect, and they knocked on your door to gauge your reaction to their visit? Who can say though really, and with it being 2 years ago, and if you've not heard anything else, the case, whatever it was, has probably been long since closed.

I’ve experienced what you described before, albeit in the USA not Ireland (LE randomly arriving at my place of residence, in my case looking for a former resident of the apartment I had recently moved into). I wouldn’t worry about it