• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is it just all hype? It's only a herb!

Markomarkh

Bluelighter
Hi all, my names mark I'm 35, in my youth teens in the 90s, I have experimented with alcohol, tobacco cigarettes and cannabis, I used to love my beers and white lightning cider we used to buy underage at a corner shop but when I was 17years old I tried a bit of cannabis with friends, not really like it much, I dunno how feeling in a different place, memory loss , time lapses and paranoia is a lot of fun? Why is it just a herb is so popular when most my friends say they didn't like the paranoia feeling! I know there are different strains with different effects, people claim there are ones that give you euphoria but I've never experienced that, is it because I've not found a type suitable to me or just got cheap resin or weed. How do you know which strains are suitable? What strains do you like?

Its definitely not just all hype :p

Different people can react differently to the same substances. I'm like the exact opposite of what you describe, I absolutely love being stoned but hate being drunk and cant understand how anyone can find it enjoyable.

Just in general observation of the people I know I find that those who love alcohol are less likely to love cannabis, while those who love cannabis are less likely to love alcohol. Of course some of them enjoy both as well. To each his own I suppose.

Last edited:
Hi all, my names mark I'm 35, in my youth teens in the 90s, I have experimented with alcohol, tobacco cigarettes and cannabis, I used to love my beers and white lightning cider we used to buy underage at a corner shop but when I was 17years old I tried a bit of cannabis with friends, not really like it much, I dunno how feeling in a different place, memory loss , time lapses and paranoia is a lot of fun? Why is it just a herb is so popular when most my friends say they didn't like the paranoia feeling! I know there are different strains with different effects, people claim there are ones that give you euphoria but I've never experienced that, is it because I've not found a type suitable to me or just got cheap resin or weed. How do you know which strains are suitable? What strains do you like?

If you've never gotten any sort of euphoria from smoking weed then you probably haven't smoked many times.

Even people who HATE weed usually will acknowledge that they experienced SOME form of euphoria, but will usually just say that for them it was over powered by paranoia so they couldn't enjoy it, and I've had that happen to me before in the past though it doesn't usually happen anymore.

I've never experienced "feeling in a different place" literally, and memory loss or time lapses has never been lasting and usually didn't happen at all, or if it did VERY temporarily, none of those are long lasting effects.

Paranoia is not fun, but not everyone experiences it and a lot of that depends on strains.

For me, even though I don't currently smoke but have in the past, I got over the paranoia but would still sometimes get "negative thoughts", but that was only if I didn't drink with weed, or if I took a strain that caused more paranoia and I have found that vaporizing or eating pre-vaped herb doesn't give me as many negative thoughts either.

I am not someone who knows a whole lot about strains like some one here, but my favorites that I've tried have been White Widow, Hydro White Butterfly, Northern Lights, Purple Haze, Shiva, Bubble Gum, Jack Herrer, NYC Diesel, Sour Diesel, Blue Dreams, White Rhino and Lebanese Blond, Lebanese Black and Nepalese Black Hash.

Really, I have found that for anyone who gets paranoid, just have a few beers or a few shots before or after you smoke (I personally prefer before) and you will probably not experience paranoia or negative thoughts depending on your tolerance to alcohol but this combo makes some people sick.

It sounds like it's been such a long time since you smoked and that you never smoked much to the point where you would have a hard time really knowing how this substance effects you but I could be wrong.

Not everyone likes every drug and it might just not be your thing but I'd think IF interested you'd want to try some different strains, different methods of smoking, vaporizing, edibles or combining with alcohol and having a good set and setting to see how it effects you.

Of course it's "only an herb"...but EVERY drug is "only" an herb, a pill, a chemical, etc.

Really, no one can "explain" very easily in words why they like a drug, I mean, some will disagree and certainly a lot can be explained in words about why someone likes or dislikes a drug, but when it really comes down to it you need to experience it for yourself to know for sure.

Until you have tried a number of different types of weed again under a number of different circumstances, smoking, vaping and eating and mixed with alcohol (although that's just my opinion that it goes well with alcohol, especially Red Wine IMO) you won't really know if you are going to like it or not.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey Mark,

Remember that band in school everyone seemed to like, but you didn't care for?

You don't have to pretend to like it man. It's not for you, no big deal right?

Hey Mark,

Remember that band in school everyone seemed to like, but you didn't care for?

You don't have to pretend to like it man. It's not for you, no big deal right?

Totally agreed.

However, maybe if you only listened to that band once or twice 20 years ago while in a bad mood your frame of reference on your current opinion of them might be skewed.

I think if you have to ask "what is all the hype about", you aren't even really sure of your OWN opinion of the substance (or thing) because you don't have much experience with it.

Like, if you are highly familiar with something you don't like, usually you don't ask for others opinions on why they like it, you just know it's not for you.

I HATE Jagermeister and most of my friends like it, but I don't ask them why they like it. I just know I have tried it several times and I hate the taste and that's that...

Sounds like he is curious about whether or not his experience was typical, and I've heard similar reports from people who only smoked once or twice in their life many years ago and were like "I don't get why people like it" and then they say that all it did was make them dizzy...

Totally agreed.

However, maybe if you only listened to that band once or twice 20 years ago while in a bad mood your frame of reference on your current opinion of them might be skewed.

I think if you have to ask "what is all the hype about", you aren't even really sure of your OWN opinion of the substance (or thing) because you don't have much experience with it.

Like, if you are highly familiar with something you don't like, usually you don't ask for others opinions on why they like it, you just know it's not for you.

I HATE Jagermeister and most of my friends like it, but I don't ask them why they like it. I just know I have tried it several times and I hate the taste and that's that...

Sounds like he is curious about whether or not his experience was typical, and I've heard similar reports from people who only smoked once or twice in their life many years ago and were like "I don't get why people like it" and then they say that all it did was make them dizzy...
Exactly. I've discovered new bands and bands I thought I didn't like simply because I had changed.

Pot is that one band that never got old for me. Maybe I'm lucky? It's just a drug dude.

Remember the first time you got drunk?
I remember drinking gin in the basement while my parents were gone. It was a fairly horrible experience. My first thought of beer was that it tasted bad. Now it is great. Once you know what it does you know the kind of mood you need to be in to enjoy it.

Different drugs made people comfortable with me and no longer seem necessary, now that I understand people a little better, and I do not worry about impressing anyone. I kind of wish I never got started. It is still fun to go out drinking occasionally but pot leaves me catatonic.

Getting drunk or smoking pot I guess makes some people feel better about themselves. Weed enhances experiences, sort of changes your focus, and alleviates boredom.

I liked mixing the two and I mostly enjoyed being confused and thinking about imaginary things until I noticed changes in my ability to think. Now I am more about enhancing my mind with practical knowledge and thinking about the real situation. Unfortunately it is taxing and there are not a lot of compatriots.

I am naturally sort of slow-witted and pot made that worse in a way to the point I could not focus on my thoughts and connect it to speech, but it was really just getting in contact with other people that I was into it for. Still I noticed the consequences of smoking marijuana were far worse for me than drinking.

Remember the first time you got drunk?
I remember drinking gin in the basement while my parents were gone. It was a fairly horrible experience. My first thought of beer was that it tasted bad. Now it is great. Once you know what it does you know the kind of mood you need to be in to enjoy it.

Different drugs made people comfortable with me and no longer seem necessary, now that I understand people a little better, and I do not worry about impressing anyone. I kind of wish I never got started. It is still fun to go out drinking occasionally but pot leaves me catatonic.

Getting drunk or smoking pot I guess makes some people feel better about themselves. Weed enhances experiences, sort of changes your focus, and alleviates boredom.

I liked mixing the two and I mostly enjoyed being confused and thinking about imaginary things until I noticed changes in my ability to think. Now I am more about enhancing my mind with practical knowledge and thinking about the real situation. Unfortunately it is taxing and there are not a lot of compatriots.

I am naturally sort of slow-witted and pot made that worse in a way to the point I could not focus on my thoughts and connect it to speech, but it was really just getting in contact with other people that I was into it for. Still I noticed the consequences of smoking marijuana were far worse for me than drinking.
Dude then don't smoke pot. It's simple.

... Once you know what it does you know the kind of mood you need to be in to enjoy it. ...
I agree completely. I sort of went through this with shrooms myself. The first time I ever ate shrooms I was crashing at a buddies house who I had only known for a couple days, and he lived with his parents who were crazy religious and completely closed minded toward any type of illegal drug use. The entire trip was ruined. I was just freaking out and panicking and wanted nothing more than for the trip to wear off so I could go home. A few hours into the trip I kept thinking we had eaten some bad shrooms and we were going to die, it was horrible and I didn't understand how people could enjoy tripping. A couple years later I tried it again, but this time I knew what to expect and how to mentally prepare for it. I was at home with just me and two of my cousins and we tripped so hard all night long watching the movie "Elf" over and over again uncontrollably laughing our asses off at the movie and each other the entire time. One of the best nights of my life.

Last edited:
Dude then don't smoke pot. It's simple.
Your advice would not have an impact. I quit smoking a while ago and in my case it helped.

The negative side effect seems to be an abrupt change. From what I've been reading, around Bluelight at least, it doesn't seem to go away over time.

Reading on medical forums there are some who apparently continue to have anxiety related to smoking weed even after they have stopped. So it is not always a simple matter of stopping.

I agree completely. I sort of went through this with shrooms myself. The first time I ever ate shrooms I was crashing at a buddies house who I had only known for a couple days, and he lived with his parents who were crazy religious and completely closed minded toward any type of illegal drug use. The entire trip was ruined. I was just freaking out and panicking and wanted nothing more than for the trip to wear off so I could go home. A few hours into the trip I kept thinking we had eaten some bad shrooms and we were going to die, it was horrible and I didn't understand how people could enjoy tripping. A couple years later I tried it again, but this time I knew what to expect and how to mentally prepare for it. I was at home with just me and two of my cousins and we tripped so hard all night long watching the movie "Elf" over and over again uncontrollably laughing our asses off at the movie and each other the entire time. One of the best nights of my life.
PD is that way ------------------------------------------------------>

Your advice would not have an impact. I quit smoking a while ago and in my case it helped.

The negative side effect seems to be an abrupt change. From what I've been reading, around Bluelight at least, it doesn't seem to go away over time.

Reading on medical forums there are some who apparently continue to have anxiety related to smoking weed even after they have stopped. So it is not always a simple matter of stopping.
So if you are no longer using marijuana why are you here?

I was at home with just me and two of my cousins and we tripped so hard all night long watching the movie "Elf" over and over again uncontrollably laughing our asses off at the movie and each other the entire time. One of the best nights of my life.
I never experienced the uncontrollable laughter, was it just the movie and everything?

I never experienced the uncontrollable laughter, was it just the movie and everything?
I think it was mostly just the music in that movie is so upbeat and happy, combined with the comedy, and it set our moods in just the right place.

Are you upset about it?
It is rude to ask what I am doing here. It implies you want me to leave.

yeah for sure weed is not for everyone, just like not everyone enjoys getting drunk, not everyone enjoys getting high.

i don't get euphoria from weed. it sure makes me laugh constantly for no reason but i wouldn't call that euphoria, cuz it doesn't makes me feel good in the way for example opiates do, it's just i can't help but laugh. i do enjoy getting high but it's not something that i love tbh, i feel like i like getting stoned less than the average person would, or at least my friends.

i still find weed amazing though

also i thought the effects would be completely different before i got high the first time... i thought i was gonna be relaxed and stuff, like if it weed was a downer. on the outside, weed sure slows you down, but i don't feel relaxed on the inside. that was a major disappointment.