• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Is it accepted to tell strangers(women and men) they are beautiful?

ChipTrippyFox

Bluelighter
Pretty straight forward. How does one approach someone they know nothing about to tell them that they are attractive.
How much does the attractiveness of yourself matter when anticipating a positive or negative response. How do you handle a negative response?

Depends on the setting really and your intentions to a point - when people have gone out of their way to look good for a night out etc then getting a random compliment is usually greatly appreciated. Hi just wanted to tell you that you look great tonight or that I find you really attractive is a great start.

I've really only had a few negative replies and that was because the person I was telling looked great were not single - I remember one telling me that she was with her husband, I replied so am I :D (she loved the attention after that).

Chose your words carefully, always.
Us girls can be sweet but deadly!

Don't tell a girl she is sexy, tell her she is beautiful.
Look at her eyes, not her delicious rack.
A true lady will make you feel comfortable as you talk to her.
If she scorns or mocks, she's not that beautiful on the inside.

Hugs and LOVE!

Edit: Now that I think about it, the tips that I told you are very politically correct.

On a personal note, If you make eye contact, smile then walk up to me with a compliment, you may get a smile.

Or you may get the pleasure of buying me a drunk ><

Last edited:
Pretty straight forward. How does one approach someone they know nothing about to tell them that they are attractive.
How much does the attractiveness of yourself matter when anticipating a positive or negative response. How do you handle a negative response?
interesting. has this happened to you (getting a negative response from somebody to whom you have paid a compliment)?

i agree with bearlove that intention is everything but, if you give somebody a sincere compliment in a respectful way and they respond negatively, that says a lot more about them than you.

it's surprising how many people don't know how to respectfully take a compliment...

alasdair

From my personal experience, it's all about wording, timing, and the person you're complimenting. I have both expressed my admiration of a persons appearance to whom I was genuinely attracted, and to a person I simply thought to possess that mutable trait we call beauty. Sometimes it goes well, others it results in an awkward and embarrassing, brief interaction. I try to think of it as saying something I truly feel should be said, whether or not it's sen as normal or socially acceptable. I think more people should acknowledge beauty, in all its forms, and ,certainly, we should all try to compliment those we see deserving of a compliment. I feel the word "love" should be treated similarly. I have often told those I care for that I love them, people like friends, brothers, step family, and people I do love, non-romantically, and experienced them being off-put by my statement; Most of them have understood and appreciated the sentiment, even if they were too uncomfortable to reciprocate such a declaration. I don't say these things to garner any affection or anything, I just believe in saying things that deserve to be spoken, disregarding social norms....After all, "normal," and "correct," are not synonymous.

It is very dependent on the situation.
Also, keep in mind, that many people get harassed on a regular basis and their immediate response may be negative. It is not you. It is just because that's a natural response after so many poor experiences.

People who do not get harassed regularly do not seem to understand how it feels and therefore don't understand when we don't immediately respond to any interaction with "thank you so much". A simple compliment, yes we will try to reply like that. But sometimes we don't know what's coming and we expect the worst.

Just know that it's not you, it's not that the person on the receiving end is upset about it.

I wish there was a better way but that's how society has made it for some people.

I haven't really experienced negative reactions because I've been to shy/anxious to bother trying to express my admiration of others publicly.

I've always had low self esteem so I always figured that I would be rejected for some reason.

I am beginning to grow up a lot (I'm 24) and I am looking to become more intimate/passionate and approachable in the sense of both words. I always worry about how others judge my appearance, but I am able to admit to myself that I am not ugly.

After telling someone that they are beautiful and assuming they enjoy that, how often can a conversation or intimacy follow?
My question was not related to attempted romance, but how often could a simple compliment like "I just wanted to say I think you look beautiful" lead to intimacy or deeper conversation?

Last edited:
It is very dependent on the situation.
Also, keep in mind, that many people get harassed on a regular basis and their immediate response may be negative. It is not you. It is just because that's a natural response after so many poor experiences.

People who do not get harassed regularly do not seem to understand how it feels and therefore don't understand when we don't immediately respond to any interaction with "thank you so much". A simple compliment, yes we will try to reply like that. But sometimes we don't know what's coming and we expect the worst.
This. Women especially are often treated as if they are ornamental.

It's probably safest, if you want to compliment someone's appearance, to focus on something specific in such a way that it's clearly not sexual or objectifying. "That color really brings out your eyes." etc

I haven't really experienced negative reactions because I've been to shy/anxious to bother trying to express my admiration of others publicly.

I've always had low self esteem so I always figured that I would be rejected for some reason.

I am beginning to grow up a lot (I'm 24) and I am looking to become more intimate/passionate and approachable in the sense of both words. I always worry about how others judge my appearance, but I am able to admit to myself that I am not ugly.

After telling someone that they are beautiful and assuming they enjoy that, how often can a conversation or intimacy follow?
My question was not related to attempted romance, but how often could a simple compliment like "I just wanted to say I think you look beautiful" lead to intimacy or deeper conversation?

Imagine if the person your looking at has always had low self esteem and may be thinking the same way as you. What would your reaction be to receiving a random compliment from a stranger? What would somebody need to say to you for the conversation to lead further?

If all you wanted a deeper conversation about something leading to a chat without intimacy then maybe starting with 'I think your beautiful' isn't the best approach - who cares what they look like if you just want to talk about religion etc (a compliment during your chat never hurts as long as you mean it). Some people get hit on all the time when they are out and the typical 'pick up lines' just get boring.

I know that by just a simple gesture or opening comment or paying the person a genuine compliment can open up the possibilities for a lot of things - could be chat, could be intimacy. When I was clubbing every weekend I would forget that not everyone was on the same wavelength - I have got myself into some lengthy conversations simply by saying - wow what a great looking guy / girl / smile etc.

YES, if you see a girl, and she is hot. tell her,.. or a guy. ya never know wat will happn

No reason not to.

You can make someone's day.

Worst case she'll forget you, best case she'll remember you made her feel good.

Plus that spark in her eye, when you know she's a lil bit flustered like she needed to hear it. That's worth the try.

The delivery is EVERYTHING. I have seen obnoxious, old, fat, ugly, drunk men pay a good compliment to a pretty young sober woman, and get a thank you, maybe even a hug.

Negative responses come with ham-fisted delivery and cliche lines, wrong setting and time. Occasionally you might get somethin negative just because the person is an asshole. and dont go throwing around even sincere compliments like candy. If you're gonna try a "line", make it original.

Ive had much better luck just striking up a conversation, like over what drink they have or music they selected on the jukebox or to karaoke. and I always have better luck when I'm not looking to score, Murphy's Law and all....

@kid

When you are not looking to gain anything from the greeting, you probably come across as more laid back, comfortable and friendly. It's not Murphys Law. You are just not worried about fucking it up :)

Personally, from a chicks point of view, I wouldn't use "beautiful". Thats a bit strong.

Oddly, it's usually other women that just drop into general conversation, comments regarding physical attractiveness IME.

Fellas should do it more, it's nice to hear & usually would be accepted graciously.

Just don't be creepy about it ;)

Rtp

What words might one use instead of beautiful?

When I made this post I had just seen someone waiting at the same bus stop as me; she was just radiant and beautiful as can be. Drop dead sexy.
I wanted to tell her somehow.. but I've never really done things like that before.. I don't know if people are catching my eye more these days or if I want to express myself more now that I am single? I just want to be sweet but I don't want to be overbearing.

I guess I mean don't use that line first.

I was chatting to a male patient recently in hospital, & the nurse came looking for him. He was like " gee I'm lucky, all the pretty girls are talking to me", me to the nurse " ooh, he must mean us ;) ",
And laughed.

IMHO it's a bit full on to blurt out to a random how attractive/pretty/stunning you find them. You gotta work it in a bit more gradually.

Strike up conversation & practice open body language when out & about with women you're not attracted to first, build up your confidence & social skills dude.

Rtp

I can't help it when I get that alcohol in my system. I'm gon' flirt. I remember I got messed up from too much sake and was like, "Girl you look fine with them glasses". And then I was flirting with girls at the county fair. And lets not forget when I was at my prom as an alumni. I went to a cute girl was like, "You 18?" When she said she was 16, I backed the fuck off.
See, I got standards...

I would flirt with the waitresses at Hooters. When I'd come back from the bathroom in high schools after snorting percs off the bathroom floor, I'd flirt with the girls constantly. I was like a real life Johnny Bravo. So ladies... don't get me drunk, cause I'm gonna be all over that.
Unless you want my hands and drool on your tits, cause then... by all means get me some liquor.

Anyways, yea... I don't care if it's okay or not to tell a strange girl she's hot, cause Im' gonna do it anyway.

like any form of language based communication the body posture and tone of voice/facial expression play a big part.

its always how you say it that makes it well received.

you could call a girl sexy but if you have an endearing cute smile on your face it might go down well. you could call her beautiful in a monotone while looking like you have anger and resentment and it might not go down well.

also one compliment is enough, dont lay it on thicker than wattle and daub. makes me feel nauseous when people flatter in a disingenuous way to ply your ego for the bang.