• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is fasoracetam another harmless racetam or posibbly harmful research chemical?

niwkkie

Greenlighter
I presumed it was as harmless as supplements but one guy said there is barely any research on it indicating why he didn't try it due to possible risks.

I think I read once that all/most(?) racetams are inherently harmless for the the most part due to their close relation to something naturally occuring in the brain. I may be remembering wrong but I think that is what I read :)

So what are general thoughts on this? I see there is little to no research done on it so far but does that indicate it may not be safe? That is surely the case with the powerful designer drug market but is it not a different story with these racetams in that they are so mild anyway that they probably won't do much harm if any?

ive used it frequently ~3 years and seem to be fine.

inherently harmless for the the most part due to their close relation to something naturally occuring in the brain

This explanation of something being harmless is inherently wrong. Being structurally similar to a compound occurring naturally in the brain or elsewhere is by no means an indicator of harmlessness.

Seeing that a relatively small change in the structure can make a certain compound change its binding properties, there is no way to tell whether something is safe or not regardless of whether a similar compound has been tested and proven safe or not. What all racetams structurally share is actually only a pyrrolidin-2-one backbone with various stuff put on different positions of this ring, often much bigger than this ring itself, so clearly the structural similarity in many cases among racetams is small.

Last edited:
I cant remember which but I've read about one or two of these new racetams being possibly or actually known to be harmful in certain ways.

Obviously it is not possible to understand whether or not a medication is safe to use just by looking at the structure -- otherwise there would be no need to run drug trials. Even after formal trials are conducted, we still don't know conclusively that a drug is safe in all patients or after long-term use. We tolerate this potential risk with medications because of the benefits they provide to patients, but with untested drugs there are no established benefits to offset the risk.