• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

is everclear really the purest ethanol you can buy that is not denatured? also is there an iv safe solved for beznos?

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
how much does that 5 percent water much in solutions like benzo solutions. pg does not work well for all. even if 95 is the top, is there any advantage to lab grade vs everclear or just an opporunity to spend more money?

any are there other solvents i am not thinking of? or are pg and ethanol usually the winner when it comes to benzos. if you don't plan on shooting, is there a preservative that should be added like benzyl alcohol?

when you do plan on shooting, is there another solvent that is either safe to IV at 100 percent or can be diluted to safe levels with an emulsifier and something else?i know so people shoot pg, but i don't. it looks like 60mgs is soluble in 1 ml of ethanol. can water and alcohol be mixed and run through a micron with an emulsifier? or when you added the water would the valium fall out or whatever that's called. i don't know why i'm using diapem as an example. edit: oh wow, iv valium ampules are 40 percent pg. and they do use the tiniest bit of benzyl alcohol as a preservative. i think it's time i throw my pg out and find a more reputable brand.

thanks

Last edited:
Ethanol forms an azeotrope with water (a mixture you cannot seperate by distillation) that is composed of around 95% ethanol and 5% water. In addition, it's hygroscopic (absorbs water from the air), esp. if it's more than 95% pure. The practical consequence of this is that unless you are storing your ethanol in airtight containers or working in the Nevada desert, 100% ethanol left unattended will eventually become 95%.

Lab grade ethanol is actually usually 95% anyway. High purity ethanol is known as "absolute" ethanol. (note: Absolut vodka is unrelated) The easiest way these days to purify ethanol from 95% to 100% is by storing it over 3A molecular sieves for a day or so. More antiquated methods involve boiling ethanol with magnesium, calcium oxide, or other reactive drying agent followed by distillation.

The extra 5% water usually doesn't pose much of a problem but there are some cases where removing it will be advantageous. I would imagine BZD solubility in 100% ethanol is marginally higher than that of 95%.

Other solvents to investigate: MCT oil (used for steroid injections IIRC), acetone (used for oral tinctures of salvinorin A - do not inject)

so if the 5 percent is a problem, both mct and z1 molecular sieves are affordable. which is the more practical, less toxic choice?

Now that I think about it, I don't think ethanol nor MCT would be smart to IV directly. Most of my research tends towards ethanol being given as a dilute solution, and MCT-steroid solutions are meant for IM/SC use (not IV). Think about it: would your veins appreciate a 100% ethanol injection? I think not. Same as injecting (basically) vegetable oil into your veins. That's a good way to cause an oil embolism, which can cause respiratory distress as your lungs fill with oil instead of blood and cease to excahneg oxygen and CO2 effectively. See also: PubMed reference on some poor bastard who managed to get a testosterone-oil mixture in his bloodstream, which caused shortness of breath but thankfully resolved on its own after a week in the hospital.

So, any injections of such should be formulated as an emulsion or solution, preferably mostly aqueous.

If you were injecting MCT oil you'd probably want to form an emulsion. It's a bit of an involved process, for instance the Wikipedia article on the formulation of Diprivan (propfol emulsion for injection) reads:
The currently available preparation is 1% propofol, 10% soybean oil, and 1.2% purified egg phospholipid (ed. note: egg lecithin) as an emulsifier, with 2.25% glycerol as a tonicity-adjusting agent, and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH. Diprivan contains EDTA, [...]Newer generic formulations contain sodium metabisulfite or benzyl alcohol as antimicrobial agents.

Note, approx. 85% of that injection is water. Your body can tolerate fats and oils in the bloodstream - it's normal after all to have some percentage of fatty acids and triglycerides in it - but there comes a limit where the protiens and other emulsifying agents can't manage. Fat embolsim syndrome is a related end case where your blood is overloaded with fat that it can't move (usually only in extreme injuries) - it's not a good situation and is managed by supportive care only. So it's absolutely key to administer an emulsion that stays stable and has a minimum amount of non-water-soluble components.

Luckily, I was trained under a chemist who was an emulsion master! (He made aqueous emulsions of a steroid - androstenone - as a boar mating pheromone, to detect when female pigs want to rut by spraying it at them and watching them "assume the position". A bit crude, but a market nonetheless.) So I've learned a few thing about making (and breaking) emulsions in my time.

If I were going to make an emulsion of BZDs for injection, I'd:
1. prepare a very strong solution of BZD in my MCT oil. You want to minimize the amount of oil used, so maximize the amount of BZD dissolved in it. 1g/mL would be good if you can manage it.
2. add a defined amount of Tween 80 (or other suitable food grade emulsifier). More is not better. Usually the sweet spot is between 0.05% and 2%, often towards the lesser end. You can always add more but you can't remove it if you overshoot.
3. Make sure to add bacteriostatic agents/preservatives if you plan to store solution for any amount of time. Benzyl alcohol 0.5% or something. Calcium disodium EDTA. Maybe sorbic acid? I don't know, exactly.
3. Whip the shit out of it (high-speed, high-shear mixing, e.g. a whisk on a hand drill) in sterile distilled water to make a fine, milky emulsion. Use a minimum amount of oil. [(You are basically making an oil-in-water salad dressing sans vinegarette.) A 5% oil-in-water with 1000mg/mL benzo (in oil) works out to 50mg/mL in the final emulsion, which should be PLENTY! Even a 1% emulsion is 10mg/mL at that loading. Milk of amnesia, indeed.
4. optional: do some tonicity calculations, adjust tonicity as needed to match 900 mOsm - same as saline - not strictly neccesary for small volume injections. Mix at high speed again to homogenize. Large volume injections should be as close to isotonic as possible to avoid pain on injection.
5. While mixing, adjust pH to neutral (pH 6.5-7.5 best, 6-8 OK), dropwise, with dilute NaOH / HCl (0.1M solutions in distilled water). (optional if it's neutral to start)
6. (for first-time formulations) Test stability by letting it sit for 24-48 hours, it should stay milky and not seperate. If it does you need to change the formulation, try adding a little more emulsifier (lecithin/Tween) or mixing at a higher speed or for different time. (There is a sweet spot, overmixing is just as bad as undermixing). The finished product should look like milk and exhibit the Tyndall effect as you shine light through it.
7. Inject slowly and carefully... A smart person would do a test injection on a large-gauge vein of a VERY small amount (0.05 - 0.1 mL) to confirm it doesn't cause anaphylaxis or vein damage.
Oh, and of course, all this should be done in as close to sterile conditions as possible.

Emulsion pro tips: Shake vigorously before using, store at room temperature, do not boil or refrigerate,

This is how diazepam was once administered IIRC. It's a lot of hassle to formulate as you can see. Not as easy as throwing shit in a cooker and heating it.

If you want further reading, I can try to find a patent document for injectable diazepam formualtions. That would have a recipe as well.

i appreciate the detailed reply. fortunately i will not be the one to put it to the test.

was manic. drug induced. benzos are great orally.

Yeah, it seems to me that there's very little benefit to be gained from IV use. Oh boy, blacking out with a syringe sticking out of your arm.

I believe that injectable benzos come as solutions in propylene glycol or as an emulsion in things like peanut oil. The former seems to be more popular but I'm told that IV benzos are pretty heavy.

Many years ago I got some clomethiazole (Heminevrin) and a friend IVed the contents of the capsule (a liquid) and I DID notice how quickly he did it all.... then I noticed that it had begun to dissolve the plastic syringe. I didn't know what to think. He said it was good.... but heck, it looked dodgy.