View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is DXM really that bad for you?

WeedDxm

Bluelighter
I abused DXM for about 2 months, doing 600-900mg twice a week. I didn't notice any bad side effects, unless you consider the afterglow to be a bad side effect (I enjoy it). DXM made me a happier person, I was more optimistic, and just life seemed to be good. I only used products with DXM as the only active ingredient.

A week ago, my parents found out about my DXM usage (17 years old), and called all the stores in town that sell DXM to minors, and told them not to sell to me. They are now making me see a counsellor. I just thought it was interesting that this counsellor told me that one of her friend's son overdosed on Robitussin. From what I've heard, the lethal amount of DXM to kill someone is between 50g-500g. It would be virtually impossible to dose this much, as that would be about 150 four ounce bottles of Robitussin, or over 3,000 robo gels, just to reach 50g of DXM. I know that there are other Robitussin products that contain other active ingredients (Guanifenesin, Acetaminophen, Etc.). Keep in mind this is a professionally licensed counsellor.

My mother also has a friend that is a school counsellor. My mom showed me a text from this friend, where she said that "Is he abusing Dextromethorphan? You need to get him to stop, that stuff will kill him!".

I think that when people hear in the news that a kid has died from abusing "DXM", usually DXM is NOT what killed the person. Almost every case of someone dying from "DXM" is from CCC abuse, which contains another active ingredient, CPM. It's not the DXM that killed the kid, it's the CPM. In fact, I've never heard of anyone dying from abusing something with DXM as the only active ingredient.

I know that every drug has it's negative side effects, whether serious or mild. But I think that the non-drug using community really needs to do their research before saying that "DXM will kill you!". The only way that I can think of how to die from DXM is by an accident, such as falling down the stairs, or driving while intoxicated. I've never been that messsed up from DXM that I thought I would fall down the stairs, or had an urge to drive.

The only seriously negative side effect that I have heard about that can come from long term DXM usage is Olney's Lesions, and even this has not been proven or tested. Like I said in the first paragraph, I have used DXM probably more then I should, but even using mid to high doses of DXM twice a week for 2 months, I have not noticed any changes in my mood, behavior, or anything about my life. I will not be using DXM until I turn 18, which is in about 2 and a half months. At the very least, my tolerance will go down, I suppose.

Anyways, does anyone have any comments to what I've said above? Am I completely wrong? I'm curious about this drug..

Abusing DXM is horrible for you don't do unless you prefer to suffer from bad short term memory loss for the rest of your fucking life! I did it when I was very young and I'll never touch that nasty bullshit again. Why kids are still getting high on fucking cough syrup is beyond me. (Or the pure power doesn't matter)

Other members might try to say this isn't true but I have one friend that's head is still fucked up from that shit. (Keep in mind this 7 years later!) He used to be normal and have alot of friends but now everyone thinks he's a weirdo, including me.

Abusing DXM is horrible for you don't do unless you prefer to suffer from bad short term memory loss for the rest of your fucking life! I did it when I was very young and I'll never touch that nasty bullshit again. Why kids are still getting high on fucking cough syrup is beyond me. (Or the pure power doesn't matter)

Other members might try to say this isn't true but I have one friend that's head is still fucked up from that shit. (Keep in mind this 7 years later!) He used to be normal and have alot of friends but now everyone thinks he's a weirdo, including me.
you know this can happen with many drugs right?
abuse is horrible with any drug, as the word implies that you take too much and too often, so please just because you don't like a drug do not call it bullshit.
to the op: I advice that you reduce your use.aside from the health concerns,I find no point in doing DXM that often, it will lose its magic and you'll wish that you did it less often

As with all things the dose makes the poison. But it does sound like you're well read on the subject so good on you there :)

Being a minor & living at home does complicate things a bit. Generally speaking frequent use of any psychoactive drug while the brain is still developing (til early to mid 20s) is ill advised. Cutting back on use is probably a good idea. Talking about such things with parents can certainly be awkward & difficult as I'm sure it's difficult to maintain objectivity when it comes to one's children. But an honest dialog is probably the best way to go.

everyone who says dxm fucked them up etc are people who used it far too often. Seriously people need to stick to doing it once a month at the most to be perfectly safe.

everyone who says dxm fucked them up etc are people who used it far too often. Seriously people need to stick to doing it once a month at the most to be perfectly safe.

Nowadays I have been doing it twice a week for the most part, and I have noticed a few minor disadvantages. My short term memory is definatly not as sharp as it use to be, especially for the next few days after I have dosed. Also, sometimes it is hard to for me to think of the right word to say, and I have difficulty during some conversations. It's nothing serious, but I can notice it for sure.

On a side note, the worst effect from my drug usage is paranoia. I have always been scared of the dark since I was little, specifically afraid that something will come out of the dark to get me, or someone is watching me. I'm 18 years old now, and for the last few years this paranoia has mostly gone away. However, after using DPH and getting incredibly realistic, and scary, hallucinations, I am now paranoid again.. It sucks. DXM actually helps with the paranoia, as when I am high on DXM, I am never scared for whatever reason.

Yeah...dosing that often is sufficient to incur problems seen with frequent use of other dissociatives at high dosages (remember that DXM lasts a long time). Also, the auxiliary SRI and NRI effects present additional long-term side-effects. You are facing negative effects in between use due to your brain having changed structurally and chemically to maintain homeostasis in the persistent presence of DXM...There's no strong reason to believe these changes permanent, though adaptation to NMDA antagonists appears pretty persistingly enduring, and at your age, your brain's more plastic.

I think that you need a long break from dissociatives.

ebola

I'll echo what others have said, that it is probably a good idea to curtail your use quite a bit. Cumulative negative effects can sneak up on you, and it's too late once you notice them. You've clearly done some research, and you're right, it's not going to kill you in the acute sense like many adults' uninformed hysterics would have you believe, but neither does alcohol, and we all know what it can do over time... I've watched several people wreck themselves on several drugs, and I have to say that DXM has some of the nastiest effects in my experience. It's also never a good idea to assault your brain while it's still developing. I'm glad that I waited til I was a bit older to really start experimenting with stuff. I had better judgment (and I say that as someone that was an exceptionally responsible young person) as well as more life experience and psychological maturity, which all helped maximize the benefits I got from use both therapeutically and for enjoyable experiences (I'm one of those types that doesn't like to "get fucked up" - plain old intoxication is almost never my goal).

I don't know very much about DXM in particular, but drug counsellors in general seem to not know what they're talking about, my friend had to go to one and was told that it is common for teenagers to be injecting BHO around our area, there are two problems here in that BHO is impossible to find in my area (UK, not that close to a city) and nobody has even heard of it! the second problem is that everything i have read suggests this is not possible / a way to kill yourself. In my opinion drug counsellors (for the most part, not all and this is in the UK) are scare mongers who don't actually know much at all about drugs or harm reduction - who is there to monitor them?

I don't know very much about DXM in particular, but drug counsellors in general seem to not know what they're talking about, my friend had to go to one and was told that it is common for teenagers to be injecting BHO around our area, there are two problems here in that BHO is impossible to find in my area (UK, not that close to a city) and nobody has even heard of it! the second problem is that everything i have read suggests this is not possible / a way to kill yourself. In my opinion drug counsellors (for the most part, not all and this is in the UK) are scare mongers who don't actually know much at all about drugs or harm reduction - who is there to monitor them?

No one seems to know anything about DXM around here either, other than the users themselves.

I started Dxm use the first day of high school.
I'm also curious if DXM is as bad as you as say gettin drunk. Cause i'd rather be robo'ed out anyday than drunk
I think the first prevention would be to NOT under ANY circumstances take Triple C's that is going to limit your lifespan by years or even kill ya

I started Dxm use the first day of high school.
I'm also curious if DXM is as bad as you as say gettin drunk. Cause i'd rather be robo'ed out anyday than drunk
I think the first prevention would be to NOT under ANY circumstances take Triple C's that is going to limit your lifespan by years or even kill ya

Since this thread was created, I have used DXM well over 30 times. I would say that while intoxicated, Alcohol is worse then DXM. I have a lot more control over myself when I'm high on DXM then when I'm drunk, that's for sure. I have also used DXM a lot more then Alcohol, but when I get really drunk I tend to do dumb things, sometimes that can be dangerous.

As far as mid-long term effects of both drugs, I would have to say that DXM is worse. Although hangovers from Alcohol suck, I haven't really noticed any negative long term effects from Alcohol. I have noticed quite a few negative side effects from my DXM usage. I made a thread that outline all these effects, which you can view here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/703238-Effects-of-Long-Term-DXM-Usage-Personal-Experience. None of the effects are serious, but definatly noticeable.

From what I've heard, the lethal amount of DXM to kill someone is between 50g-500g. It would be virtually impossible to dose this much, as that would be about 150 four ounce bottles of Robitussin, or over 3,000 robo gels, just to reach 50g of DXM.

This is a dangerously wrong statement! According to erowid, risk of death occurs from 2,500 to 20,000 milligrams. 1,000 milligrams = 1 gram so the risk of death window is only 2.5 to 20 grams. Just 2 and a half grams can kill you. I'm not trying to be a fear monger but never go of what someone told you. Do your research.

https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_dose.shtml

Also it is now known that the brain is still developing until the age of 25 and at 17 its still developing pretty fast.

Also yes it really is bad for you. Many people experience lasting effects from this, it can really fuck up your brain. This is not a scare tactic it is a fact.

In my opinion its best to wait for college before you get into substances but at least stick with the things that don't cause brain damage lake good old maryjane or if you really want to trip mushrooms, morning glory or even LSD (which is often not really LSD so I'd stear clear.) The "classic psychedelics" like the ones I just mentioned do no physical damage to the brain.

Last edited:
Recovering Pothead said:
Also it is now known that the brain is still developing until the age of 25 and at 17 its still developing pretty fast.

There are actually marked developmental structural changes in the brain (localized to prefrontal cortices) that continue until one's late twenties.

ebola

This is a dangerously wrong statement! According to erowid, risk of death occurs from 2,500 to 20,000 milligrams. 1,000 milligrams = 1 gram so the risk of death window is only 2.5 to 20 grams. Just 2 and a half grams can kill you. I'm not trying to be a fear monger but never go of what someone told you. Do your research.

https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_dose.shtml

Also yes it really is bad for you. Many people experience lasting effects from this, it can really fuck up your brain. This is not a scare tactic it is a fact.

In my opinion its best to wait for college before you get into substances but at least stick with the things that don't cause brain damage lake good old maryjane or if you really want to trip mushrooms, morning glory or even LSD (which is often not really LSD so I'd stear clear.) The "classic psychedelics" like the ones I just mentioned do no physical damage to the brain.

I have noticed lingering effects of my DXM usage. Even though I haven't used DXM for 9 days now, I still feel kind of "out of it"; my speech is slurred a little bit, and my movements are somewhat robotic and non-human. I'm able to deal with it, but I really hope that these effects start to go away. I'm cutting back on my DXM usage a lot.

If you can handle your head then do as much DXM as you want, deal with the repercussions if and when they come. If you feel that you have a dependency issue then stop and feel the difference. Adjust your lifestyle accordingly...

Life is subjective. What I get from your post just screams justification. Don't use a forum to make u feel any better about your choices in doing drugs. This is so damaging u ain't even know. From my knowledge, it goes PCP, DXM, Ketamine, salvia. Idk bout MXE. But that's the danger level on the hallucinogenic dissociative drugs.

That means that dxm is said to be more toxic than ketamine to the brain. So if you consider ketamine to be worst than dxm from your (implanted stigma about k) then bad news for you. But like I said, life is subjective.

But you are doing that drug in excess. The way I look at drugs from the hallucinogen family, is that these are for self exploration. Dissociatives for the dark side and psychedelics for the light. But u can't be taking these drugs as often as you say. It's pointless and looks like you're trynna just get high. Getting high that often at that age off that drug is totally nonsensical and dangerous.

But again, life is subjective.

Oh I forgot to talk about the derealization and depersonalization. So search up on that and think.