• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is Diazepam metabolised by the same enzyme that metabolises codeine?

Codeine is dependent on CYP 3A4 +2D6 along with UGT2B7 for glucurinidation to make metabolites (morphine, codeine 6 glucuronide) that are far more potent than the prodrug Codeine. While Diazepam is dependent on CYP3A4 among 5 other CYP enzymes, the inhibition or competition for CYP3A4 would only slow the metabolism and possibly add to it's duration + plasma levels, as even though diazepam has active metabolites, it's not a prodrug as diazepam is active without any bio transformation.

"Diazepam increases the central depressive effects of alcohol, other hypnotics/sedatives (e.g., barbiturates), other muscle relaxants, certain antidepressants, sedative antihistamines, opioids..The euphoriant effects of opioids may be increased, leading to increased risk of psychological dependence."

As far as the codeine being effected: "Diazepam does not increase or decrease hepatic enzyme activity, and does not alter the metabolism of other compounds."

https://web.archive.org/web/2006022...arm/pim181.htm#SectionTitle:7.6 Interactions

^ Valium isn?t really a prodrug, with acute dosing it knocks in fast, wears off quickly, within 4 or 5 hours ~

And it isn?t too potent with acute dosing, and very subtle. Probably why it?s used for detox (NOT it?s metabolite, which doesn?t last as long as it does on paper and is partial agonist(?)

And I agree codiene has multiple metabolites, at lest 2 activealthough studies/ research seem to bear that poor metabolizes (of 2D) get less analgesic effect from codeine

But yeah, benzodiazepines, aren?t for everyone, and Valium is love - or loathe it, it seems

^ Valium isn?t really a prodrug, with acute dosing it knocks in fast, wears off quickly, within 4 or 5 hours ~

And it isn?t too potent with acute dosing, and very subtle. Probably why it?s used for detox (NOT it?s metabolite, which doesn?t last as long as it does on paper and is partial agonist(?)

And I agree codiene has multiple metabolites, at lest 2 activealthough studies/ research seem to bear that poor metabolizes (of 2D) get less analgesic effect from codeine

But yeah, benzodiazepines, aren?t for everyone, and Valium is love - or loathe it, it seems

codeine does nothing for me, but oddly neither does dihydrocodeine, which am I right isn't a prodrug? which is why it was developed for people who couldn't metabolise codeine