• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Is diazepam going to damage my brain if i use it in 10mg doses?

riverofheaven

Greenlighter
I have been using diazepam at 10mg for weeks last year for the purpose of killing the effects of stimulants which i take for ADHD and it worked perfectly everytime. When i did my tolerance break of stims it was also a break from diazepam, and haven't experienced any withdrawals from it really, no withdrawals from ritalin either. Only amphetamines gave me withdrawals when i stopped.

The thing is, I've been reading on the internet that benzos are one of the most brain damaging drugs when used longterm and this terrified me cause the use of diazepam is seen as very normal in my European country, quite benign like ibuprofen is almost, didn't even know people used it recreationally until browsing about it od drug related sub reddits and this forum.

My problem currently is that im using ritalin but without diazepam cause of the brain damage fear and my sleep has become a wreck from the ritalin aftereffects, prominently the anxiety and body discomfort, diazepam always fixed this for me.

Is it fine if i use just 10mg every night this spring and summer cause i have loads of finals and midterms and need to get my sleep in balance.

I do not recommend using diazepam for more than 14 days. It produces tolerance and dependence. It DOES appear to cause some permanent changes in the brain but I don't think the term 'damage' is appropriate.

If Ritalin is producing insomnia, talk to your doctor. It might be that the dose and/or formulation need adjusting.

I do not recommend using diazepam for more than 14 days. It produces tolerance and dependence. It DOES appear to cause some permanent changes in the brain but I don't think the term 'damage' is appropriate.

If Ritalin is producing insomnia, talk to your doctor. It might be that the dose and/or formulation need adjusting.
Damn what kind of permanent change does it cause, currently on a ritalin comedown and this wasn't the best thing to hear tonight lol

It's apparent that their is some manner of kindling effect in that tolerance to benzodiazepines seems to last for a long, long time. Possibly the brain doesn't readjust? It isn't very clear.

But if for a night or two you use 10mg diazepam to sleep, it's not a serious issue. But you really should mention insomnia to your doctor. There are newer and possibly more appropriate sleep aids. Likewise their are newer ADHD medications and I believe some of them actually make you slightly sleepy.

I would be more concerned about the effects of stimulants.

I was 20 when I started on it and I’m 37 with no plan on stopping my Xanax and for reference/comparison the dosages of Xanax(Alprazolam) we both are close to the top strength I have just 2mg that’s higher and you have the 15mg and 20mg to raise too if your dr thinks you need it.

Alprazolam has slightly different indications. But I most certainly hope that you have a good, regular supply. After such prolonged use, sudden discontinuation would not be very nice at all.

But please don't say 'I'm fine so you will be fine'. That's not HR. Dependence is not nice at all.