• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is daily kratom use really as sustainable as it seems?

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
I've been taking kratom nearly every day now for a little over 3 months. I've tried a number of different strains and dosing patterns, but have settled on the strain mix called Ganesh MD, dosed one level teaspoon (5cc) of the powder orally three times daily. I don't know how to say this without sounding trite, but I honestly feel as though this may be the perfect drug. At this dosage, I feel content and modestly stimulated, with an otherwise clear head and no body load that I can perceive. Since starting kratom, my life has fallen into place in ways I've always wanted, but until this point haven't been able to achieve with any combination of drugs or lifestyle modifications. I'm calmer, more positive, and more accepting of things, people, and situations the way they are, while at the same time very motivated to move forward and accomplish things. At this dosage I get none of the lethargy or mental slowing that narcotic painkillers and marijuana can impart.

Most astonishingly, I haven't notice any tolerance developing to low, stimulating kratom doses. I feel as though if I had an unlimited supply of the stuff, I could keep this up indefinitely. The rational part of my brain tells me I have an addiction. But I find the emotional component of of an addiction, the low-level self-loathing and looming feeling of "this won't end well" which accompanied all the other drugs I've abused, is entirely absent. And most interesting of all, I don't find kratom particularly moreish. The only chemical habit it draws analogy to, for me, is caffeine. Caffeine and kratom both enhance my life. I know that I'm hooked on both of them, but so far the enhancement they regularly deliver outweighs the costs to my life far too much for me to justify quitting either one. And, at the same time, overdoing it on either one is unpleasant enough for me to have no desire to push my doses or binge on either.

Provided good quality kratom remains readily and cheaply available to me, is what I'm doing sustainable? Or are the consequences of long-term low level regular use just slower in coming than for most drugs?

Sooner or later youll face a drastically reducing positive return, with negetive side effects becoming very prevalent upon each dose. The withdrawal from repeated dosing daily (even low dose) can be hellish due to the sheer number of varied effects (opiate, stimulant, calcium channel blocker, ect). I'm a HUGE fan of Kratom, but daily use fucked the substance up for me for almost a year. Once the year abstinence had past, its a very useful twice a week options, but I'd never use more often nor redose more then once in a use. Doing otherwise would risk ruining the substance again.

You will eventaully become tolerant.
But thats easy, just take a week off and you're good to go for another 6 months or so

it definitely isn't IME.

i did the same thing you did for about the same length of time and the way it affects me may be different but generally it is euphoric, stimulating, talkative.. but it kills my emotions and makes me very very dry. unable to smile and laugh and such.

i do it for the nod it can give so my tolerance became very high needing 10g to reach the same place i used to.

i eventually stopped and took a couple breaks to kill my tolerance but after one use, the next week it's not the same at the same dose.

you're likely doing doses less than <4g doses so idk how sustainable thhose doses are but i can imagine the same thing would eventually occur.

it is nice at those doses though, it picks me up quite effectively and makes me very content.

as JaHseeUS said, i prefer the once per week regime...

im going on a 2 week break from it.

my strain is Bali.

Out of all the addictions you could have, kratom would be one of the better ones. But it is eventually going to be a pain in your backside. decreased pleasurable effects, increased tolerance, drain on bank account. Or, I think the most dangerous part would be graduating your addiction to harder drugs.

very few people are happy with addiction in the long run. Kratoms a pretty cool plant... use it on weekends and keep it that way.

That is just what I think is best. Did not intend on being rude.

OP,

I have used kratom for around two years now, daily for about a year. I will say this: Compared to other habits I've picked up along the way (opioids, benzodiazepines, alcohol), it is very sustainable. That's not to say I get the same magic from it I got in the beginning, because I don't. However, I still do get a major benefit from it, without taking obscene doses. Considering I dose 2-3 times every single day, that's pretty remarkable. You can't say the same about many other substances.

I think whether or not kratom use is sustainable all depends on what you're trying to get out of it. If you accept that the honeymoon doesn't last forever and you treat it as more of a 'useful' substance than a 'recreational' one, there's nothing particularly unsustainable about it. It certainly doesn't have the propensity for leading to disastrous consequences that other drugs do, and withdrawal is pretty minor and over quickly. Unpleasant, but after two years of use, I'd take it over benzo or true opioid withdrawal any day of the week.

I am far from wealthy, and I have no plans on stopping. It's still the best antidepressant and motivator I've found to date.

sounds like you'll be ok, just keep monitoring it, and don't start using heroin or meth or coke