• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Is cyclodextrin/lecithin + loperamide a possibility?

axestealer

Greenlighter
Both are easy to obtain and would make Loperamide cross the blood brain barrier much easier on paper. Am I on to something?

Hey @axestealer :)

Welcome to the forums! We are always excited to see fresh faces with fresh ideas and opinions. Hopefully you'll stick around and become a part of the Manson Family-like cult that is the BL Harm Reduction sub-forums. I rule here with an iron fist. At least, people let me believe that, which is good enough for me!

As a community, we have really strayed away from the recommendation of Loperamide (Immodium) being used for purposes outside of its intended purposes. Loperamide is considered very safe when used in dosages as laid out on the package and by the pharmaceutical industry at large. Loperamide is great at reducing diarrhea, but when used for recreation or to manage withdrawal from more powerful Opioids, a lot of issues come in to play.

The biggest issue seems to be the cardiovascular complications that Loperamide has become known for in the wake of massive, high-dose usage in the wake of the Opioid epidemic. It was only after time and study that we became aware of how truly dangerous this stuff is when not used responsibly. Like many drugs out there, Loperamide has the tendency to increase the Qt rhythm of the heart. This is typically referred to as "Long Qt Syndrome" and the complications from it can be deadly. There are numerous reports of high-dose users of Loperamide being discovered dead. When all of this started, it was assumed by many that they simply died from the classic respiratory depression that Opioids are well-known for, but it now seems that cardiovascular effects are often the culprit when speaking specifically of Loperamide.

Given that we are a Harm Reduction forum, we tend to state our opinion as Loperamide being entirely unsafe to use in high dosages. People still do it, of course and we help them as best as we are able, but it's a risk that makes many of us uncomfortable. There are too many other options out there in this crazy world to warrant using a substance so well-known as potentially lethal. When folks take supplemental drugs with the aim of increasing the potency of Loperamide, this tends to increase their risk of serious complications, which is what one would expect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now on to your question. There is not a ton of literature floating around regarding this exact combination, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be effective. What I will say, is that there are many other drugs out there that are established as increasing the potency and/or penetration of the Blood-Brain Barrier, so I wouldn't consider finding another drug or substance capable of doing this as being a game-changer is any meaningful way. My advice would be to try it out yourself and see what happens. I highly doubt consuming sunflower lecithin is going to mean the difference between life and death for you, but as always, exercise caution.

Some of the substances known to effect Loperamide in this way include:

Proton Pump Inhibitors: Cimetidine (Tagamet), Omeprazole (Prilosec) are two of the most commonly used ones for this purpose and have a demonstrated impact on the pharamacokinetics of Loperamide.

Black Pepper: Black pepper is well-known to increase the bioavailability of a wide range of different substances, so this shouldn't come as a surprise. It is the active constituent "Piperine" that is responsible for the effects on the pharmacokinetics of drugs. Off the top of my hand, I'm not exactly sure why, as I've read conflicting statements in this regard. However, we do know that it works.

Antacids like Tums or similar preparations are known to increase the potency of many different drugs. PPI's like the ones I've listed are also going to reduce gastric acidity, but the PPI's also have specific effects on the enzymatic processes responsible for metabolizing Loperamide.

These are just a few, but there are likely many more out there. I don't think you need to reinvent the wheel to make the Loperamide do what you need it to do, but you're welcome to explore. I will end this by repeating: taking Loperamide in high dosages is not condoned in any way by me, as it is highly dangerous and has been recorded as an agent responsible for the death of numerous individuals as a result of cardiovascular effects. Please don't do it.