• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids is codeine a reall good placebo

Hezman94

Bluelighter
i use to take eight in one go everyday in the evening noticed not enough pain relief off 30mg or 60mg dose.
is codeine pointles in doses o 8 15mg 30mg as this converts to like under 10mg morphine the starting dose.

my drs never mentioned dihydrocodeine id rather been put on that then oxys and now morphine.

so yeah it got me high 8 tablet in one go im a good metaboliser but pain relief was not there in prescribed doses.

i dont know how people get addicted to the 8mg tablets with paracetemal.
so is codeine pointless it helped me in withdrawal in doses over 120mg i am 6foot 220lb

I'm surprised that you even felt it with the amount of opiates that you say you take.

not recently i was jjus wonderin like someone told me he had one 30mg codeine and it smashed him

I suspect that you are joking Hezman. Come on man.

i just wondered if drs say take 30mg codeine for pain thats equivalent to like 3mg morphine.
do people actually get pain relief or is it a good placebo as watched videos on youtbe saying codeine is pointless as it convertstomorphine, and the starting dose of morphine is 10mg equivalent to 100mg codeine which they would not let you take in one go.
and what wold i be joking about

For someone without a tolerance and a good metabolizer 30mg is enough. For your tolerance it's logic that you don't feel it. There are people who not only have pain relief from 50mg tramadol but even get high from it. I know this is not tramadil related but it is a good exanple imo

I get a high off traadol even with my tolerance but sometimes i get the noradrenaline affects which i try and avoid in withdrawal, i think if you stagger it it turns into des mmethyl tram whatever its called better and thats what has the opiate type effects.
i know people who love tramsfor the anti depressant/speedy effetct and i know someone who has one before bed uses it as a sleeping pill.
but yeah i never felt pain relief ever off codeine in prescribed doses, my pain wasnt well controlled. i asked for tramadol they refused because im on quetiapine so i got put on morphine.
horrble thing is them giving you 10ml a day and not putting on extended so id be in minor withdrawal wodnering why i aching and sweating.
it was only when i went on oxy my withdrwals started as morphine lasts way longer and i was on mscontin cos zomorph was out of stock and the mscontin even when crushed the time release stays intact and im sure they just lasted longer anyway.
you dont get zomorph in the usa they are microgranules.

I love tramadol for both, i am on huge doses i'm not gonna state how much so other users don't try such dangerous doses. Since you are bipolar tramadol would be a bad idea anyway, it makes me manic lots of times.

Im from europe but here we don't get oral solutions either, mostly pills likr vendal and sevredol. I like both although they are ER, chewing them does the job for me, about 4x30mg ones my day starter dose

Last edited by a moderator:
30mg might be enough, personally I didn't get much from doses between 70-130/150mg without any tolerance at the time.
Btw, there is no inherently “good or “bad placebo, the effects of a placebo effect are not based on the interventions innate properties, that's sort of the point.

As @morpheuspapaverus said already it's about tolerance. If I give my girlfriend just 60mg dihydrocodeine she will be straight up nodding. If I take 240mg I might get a mild warmth and hopefully pain relief.

I used to nod off 60mg DHC too, in fact I had a script of 60mg four times a day a few years ago and nodded out for a straight week, but then tolerance happened and with opiates it happens quick. Yesterday I took 80mg oxy + 330mg DHC + 2mg clonazepam + 1mg alprazolam + 20mg diazepam throughout the day, felt a mild high, went into work like normal, didn't even nod. Although tbf I was also on 40mg dex.

(For HR purposes I have to stress I am giving those doses to show how high my tolerance is and therefore how high opiate tolerance can get, and this being the reason why opiate tolerant individuals get nothing from normal doses especially of weak opiates like codeine. If you have low opiate tolerance or are opiate naive, dose like my girlfriend not like me. 80mg oxy especially mixed with other drugs can easily be dangerous for those with low tolerance.)

Ironically though I can still feel codeine even when I'm used to boshing oxy. Back when I could easily get codeine linctus oral solution 15mg/5ml all the time I drank a quarter of a bottle at the same time as dosing oxy and could definitely feel the nice extra warmth from the codeine. I get the same effect from DHC nowadays. Oxy is one of those drugs I find is potent but lacks warmth. I believe this is because oxy is metabolised from thebaine while codeine and DHC metabolise into morphine or related substances. Two very different opiate alkaloids. The thebaine is more buzzy, which is why oxy is the same, while morphine is clean and warm, which is why codeine is the same assuming you have low enough tolerance to feel it.

Problem with codeine in particular though is it does have a dose ceiling and redosing isn't as effective as the initial dose. People always throw around 300-400mg for the ceiling but it varies a lot by individual. There is definitely a point where taking more codeine is just a waste though. This is one of the many good things about DHC, no ceiling.

When it comes to tramadol the opposite is true. Small redoses, even just 50mg, feel the same as taking your initial dose again. But it's so easy to have a seizure on that crap even if you stay below the "safe limit" of 400mg. Fuck tramadol imo. Even after a tolerance break I get nothing from it anymore. Except seizure risk.

Dont you take methadone Hezman?
Why would you take codeine in the first place if you are on methadone? The 'done is already filling up your receptors. And people do feel the effects, that is why it is sold in amounts like that. The drugs aren't meant to get you high, hence why there is no aisle in stores labeled "Drugs that get you high/feminine hygenine/vitamins". The amounts in the pills are for effective for mild pain relief in non-toletant individuals.

its not placebo when i was in severe pain after surgery i definitley felt significant relief from 60 mg of codeine. I ended up needing to take a lot more than that but you can certainly feel some relief from 30 mg it will probably not relieve the pain for long though.

I'm confused as to what "a good placebo" would mean.

Since placebo is just having a drug effect due to believing it works rather than it actually working (chemically speaking), asking if something is "a good placebo" would be like asking if the non-existent food you are eating is good food lol.

No offense man, I think maybe you might have a meaning behind what you are saying that I'm not getting, or maybe just asking if a lot of people get placebo effect from codeine, so I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure that codeine actually causes opioid effects due to its binding affinity and agonist properties at mu opioid receptors, but Ill have to check my sources...

Essentially anything can cause a placebo effect though. If I gave you decaf coffee and told you it was caffeinated, would you really know the difference after a cup? Probably not, your brain would likely already have associated the smell and taste of the coffee with the stimulant effects of caffeine and begin to change your behavior to that of someone who has had a cup of caffeinated coffee.

Inversely, I gave you a Tylenol 3 and told you it was plain acetaminophen, you would probably notice that a change in how you feel at a physical and mental level. You might get some side-effects that give it away, such as itchiness or myosis, depending on the tolerance of the individual who has consumed it.

I'm pretty sure that codeine actually causes opioid effects due to its binding affinity and agonist properties at mu opioid receptors, but Ill have to check my sources...

Essentially anything can cause a placebo effect though. If I gave you decaf coffee and told you it was caffeinated, would you really know the difference after a cup? Probably not, your brain would likely already have associated the smell and taste of the coffee with the stimulant effects of caffeine and begin to change your behavior to that of someone who has had a cup of caffeinated coffee.

Inversely, I gave you a Tylenol 3 and told you it was plain acetaminophen, you would probably notice that a change in how you feel at a physical and mental level. You might get some side-effects that give it away, such as itchiness or myosis, depending on the tolerance of the individual who has consumed it.

I drink way too much coffee (not as much as I used to) and this happened once for a few days, and while I did notice some difference, not as much as I would have thought.

I was accidentally drinking decaf at home, but I was still getting a couple cups of regular coffee when out during those days, and I had been noticing I was a bit more tired than usual, but nothing too crazy, and then when I realized I'd been drinking decaf it made more sense.

Had I not had ANY regular coffee I certainly would have known something more was up as I was (still am) highly dependent and I would have started to get bad headaches and lethargy, but certainly a considerable portion of it was/is placebo, and I'm sure I still think I need more than I really do.

Eventually I'll do another caffeine taper with this one herbal-taper plan I have which dramatically lowers tolerance.

I'm sure placebo can take you a lot further if it's a milder substance like caffeine though.

If someone is really dependent on opioids or harder drugs or benzos I'm sure there's only so far placebo can take you.

30mg codeine =5mg morphine, if you take 8 of them or lets round up 10, at 50mg for a naive person, youd definately feel it, i havent gotten off on codeine in years i eat my 60/month like candies but they help, but hell, years ago 300mg codeine would have me in a lovely state, itchy as fuck but lovely.

I still remember the first opiate experience

300-400mg and i waited
...slowly came on and i felt so damn warm ( codeine histimine release) and happy, then melted away like butter.. oh those were the days, i wish i could take them recreationally.

Nope. It’s scientifically shown to be an opioid agonist.

I once took a few Tylenol 3’s not knowing they were psychoactive (I was like 14 with a shattered ankle) and definitely felt effects; this tells me that it can’t be placebo.

codeine helps with pain. some of my best painkillers have been based on this. i could kill whomever started the cold water extraction. there's using acetone on your gear, then there's doing that. insanity style in my book. but it made these products difficult to obtain. i never gave one person who started substituting codeine for H the time of day, but lived with the pharmacy redux. lol