• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

is canabis graftable on hop?

izo

Bluelighter
i read this years ago somewhere that this is possible because both plants are related. in the garden of my parents there was hop growing and every time you ran along it, it stank like in one of the flats of my stoner friends at that time.

Your nose does not decieve you, G Chem is right about Aromas and Terpenes. The particular one you are thinking of here is called Myrcene it is said to be relaxing and sedating, old folklore people would use hops aroma before bed

even if possible, what would be the benefits? hemp grows pretty fast even in a temperate climate during spring and summer, so no need really to utilize an established rootstock for faster establishment in my opinion. don't know about any root- or soilborn diseases with cannabis either

no need for doing it, i just read somewhere that its possible.

It is possible. However, "Mary Jane Superweed" pamphlets from the 70's touted a Hops graft onto a Marijuana root as a method to get Hops to produce Cannabinoids. This is a myth. The Cannabinoids are not produced in the root.

It's likely that the myth perpetuated as long as it did because Hops, as mentioned, has some sedative effects. Smoked Hops gives a buzz if you are desperate, but is so harsh as to be a bad idea. I have chewed a few Hops and swallowed (I'm hardcore at times) for a sedative effect. It works, especially in conjunction with smoking reefer. It's a great night's sleep. I wish I knew if the active ingredient was water soluble.

I have a Hops plant that they gave me at a nursery. I asked how much the sickly plant cost and they said, "Sir, if you can give that a good home you can have it.".

I am, right now, doing what I have the most fun with as to the plant. Take a few ripe Hops and rub them to a mush between your hands and smell. Smells like some good Sativa used to smell. I've shown a number of people this and just left a cigar box of Hops at my local CBD store as a conversation piece.

i must also add that for anyone who may be considering trying or vaping hops, that they do contain phytoestrogen : 8-prenylnaringenin, which has an activity greater than other established plant estrogens. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10372741/

They could increase moobs or lower testosterone levels in males

Good thought as they are related closely. Hop is a Vine though!

They also extract CBD from Hop, a special strain. So it seems entirely possible to have the Hop itself create THC like substances. No need for grafting!

Good thought as they are related closely. Hop is a Vine though!

They also extract CBD from Hop, a special strain. So it seems entirely possible to have the Hop itself create THC like substances. No need for grafting!
It was very interesting, looking that up. Apparently there is controversy as to whether or not that is a hoax. I'm not saying that it is, I'm saying there is controversy.

The people who supposedly discovered this plant claim to have found it by searching for a variety of hops which cross bred with wild Cannabis in India. That alone bothers me a bit.

However, it is mentioned in a few places that achieving CBD in Hops would be fairly easy with genetic engineering, so maybe.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1934578X221098843

You are probably right. Eventually they may find a way to produce Cannabinoid's from Hop. But I think I am indeed wrong.

Sounded way to good. Just like crossing stinging nettle with Cannabis would be super. (they look a bit a like ;) too)

Your nose does not decieve you, G Chem is right about Aromas and Terpenes. The particular one you are thinking of here is called Myrcene it is said to be relaxing and sedating, old folklore people would use hops aroma before bed
... also used to make pillows out of the dried flowers for a deep sleep
my homemade IIPA's make me sleep like a baby

You are probably right. Eventually they may find a way to produce Cannabinoid's from Hop. But I think I am indeed wrong.

Sounded way to good. Just like crossing stinging nettle with Cannabis would be super. (they look a bit a like ;) too)
Apparently Hops lacks the enzyme to convert cannabigerolic acid into THC or CBD. I'm assuming the rest of the metabolic pathway is in place(?)
So, it's not out of the realm of possible.

Last edited:
i read this years ago somewhere that this is possible because both plants are related. in the garden of my parents there was hop growing and every time you ran along it, it stank like in one of the flats of my stoner friends at that time.
you can indeed graft them together but only works one way round root stock of hop to canna or vice versa cant remember which