• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is Benztropine mesylate worth it?

Built240

Bluelighter
Currently on the right combo from my Dr that's been helping me a lot for my BPD and mood disorder. 20mg lexapro, 200mg Lamictal and 1200mg Trileptal. I have gotten used to the lethargy and my 40mg vyvanse helps but the one side effect that is really bothering me is the constant twitching and ticks I get in my face. Especially eye squints and nostril flair. The same thing happened to me years ago when I was on Depakote. My doctor said it's a very rare side effect but a very low dose of Benztropine mesylate may help. He wants me to start with .25mg at night. I already don't like being on the meds I am because they affect neurotransmitters and after reading up about this new medication I see it also affects neurotransmitters especially acetylcholine which I don't know much about unlike dopamine and serotonin like my other medication. The twitching and tics are annoying but I would rather deal with them then take something else that could potentially cause long-term side effects. Any thoughts? Anyone use this before? Sides?

I believe what I'm having is dystonia. I'm also a competitive bodybuilder and we take HGH. A side effect from HGH and some steroids is increased prolactin and we take anti prolactins like cabergoline and pramipexole. I read that cabergoline can actually increase dystonia but pramipexole can help reduce it as well as RLS. I may try a low dose(.1mg) and see if that solves my dystonia since it seems much safer than Benztropine.

Dopamine may inhibit muscarinic receptors from activating in key motor areas. Therefore, both blocking muscarinic acetylcholine receptors or increasing dopamine therefore, indirectly inhibiting muscarinic receptors both can reduce tremor. A clear example of this is when I get nicotine tremor it is from muscarinic agonism. If I take benadyrl a muscarinic acetylcholine antagonist it goes away. But also of I take amphetamine it goes away. Are you injecting hgh? If so just a reminder you can easily get a infection without sterile needles. and getting sick isnt good for gains lol

Been injecting AAS and HGH for years. All very sterile. Hmmm so your saying that something as simple as Benadryl could help my dystonia? Also if it helps I've noticed that amphetamines greatly increase the facial dystonia.

I dont jnow how accurate wiki is but it says the dose for prolactin is 10-100 times lower then for dopamine effects in parkonsons and restless legs

If benadyrl helped you mine as well take the benzatropine because benzatropine is more selective in its action.

The thing is I'd prefer to take as little as possible. Benzo's help a lot but the last thing I want is an addiction to those. I'm just hesitant to add a new med like Benztropine to my stack when my eventual goal is to get off everything.

OP, here's the ultimate issue with the thread. Everybody is unique in taste, preference, likes, reactions to medication anon. It's not like I can point to a stranger on the street and say "You're favorite food is a BLT, enjoy!". Everybody has to make their own decisions based upon what works for them. Medications are not magic bullets. They're prescribed and we hope that they do what they're supposed to. It's far from perfection, is my point. A drug that works amazingly for you might make another person deathly nauseuous.

For this reason, I have to say that you're responsible for finding what works best for your situation. There will of course be trial and error involved in the process. It's really in the hands of you and your doctor.

Ya i use dry rolling tobacco as chew and it helps me focus if you tried it at my dose youd probably vomit on the floor drool all over your shirt faint vomit again then continue vomiting then passout. Or my brother tried lexapro i think and adderall pupils got huge he felt sick. Or you might take aas and be fine nd becausenof my heavier stimulant use i could have a heart attack or blood clott. That being said your doctor is following standard trestmentnfor dystonia. Everything beyond that is morenof a art basednon how what should happen tends to not happennso cleanly