• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Is anyone, or does anyone know, a true heroin "chipper"?

I have been a heroin addict who then successfully chipped but then decided it wasn't worth it. injecting ROA. Actually I wouldnt say I was successful,lol, it was always torturous in the days that followed a one or 2 day binge. I had the strength to resist because I already knew the horrors that waited for me if I kept shooting up beyond a couple days.

Yes, I lived with one for years....my soon to be ex husband. He used once per week (Saturday's) for about 5 years. Never on a "work day". He called it his "reward" and "deserved relaxation" by doing it only on that day. All day long though and always felt shitty and irritable every Sunday. His route was always snorting. On his "using" days I would drink all day long. And on Sunday's too just to deal with how miserable he became and also physically and mentally abusive. I'm not excusing myself or blaming him for my then addiction but it was a contributing factor as I just wanted to "numb" myself from the "pain".

BUT, his "chipping" went (I guess?) opposite when I was diagnosed with a severe condition that has no cure. I was then prescribed pain medication and he began stealing them more and more frequently. At 1st I didn't notice but when I then became addicted to them myself quite quickly? Well, like most addicts I know EXACTLY how many I have at all times because by all means how could I leave my home or even talk to a friend without them? (I'm of course being sarcastic towards myself). Anyway, I then began hiding them and I swear he was like a drug sniffing dog...he found them anywhere I ever put them. I then even resorted to sleeping with them and I guess I'm a pretty sound sleeper.

Sorry for the ramble (I'm getting help tomorrow and am very nervous) but my point is this: I'm positive he went 5 years using only on Saturdays for many reasons. I'm just shocked that he stopped using heroin and enjoyed my pain meds more.

I've never used heroin but know that if I continue on the path I'm on (even though I am in legit pain) I most likely would use it because I wasn't a "chipper" at all. Quickly even wondering why he enjoyed to snort them as opposed to taking them orally and now know why and always snort them myself. I have to redose after about 4 hours. I wake every, single night in wds and have to quickly snort before I throw up. I must also mention that I don't get enough to do this but also get them from a family member and never have bought so it was quite easy for me to "afford my habit" at 1st. Now though? There's never enough. I always run out early and end up calling people practically begging them to get them for me.

Anyway, a HUGE applause to anyone who's life hasn't been destroyed by using but I don't think there's too many people out there who can say honestly say it hasn't.

Ive been using heroin in a controlled way for 6-7 years now, always IV, never picked up a habit for it & i doubt i ever will, it simply doesnt give me the desire to go back & use it day after day. Id say the worst ive ever been was using 3 times a week over the space of a few months, at this time i was dating an addict & had grams laying around my house the possibility to pick up a habit was there for the taking but the desire wasnt, once we broke up i went back to using it sporadically. Sometimes i may use it twice in a week then not touch it for a couple of months, i set a limit in my head of no more than twice a week & then avoid it the following week. This does not always happen due to social interactions so sometimes i may use it twice a week for the space of a month then have a break.

I'd say over the last 12 months the frequency of which i do use it has slightly increased but i dont crave it or seek it out to do on my own, its always been something i will do with certain friends within my circle. I have been struggling with a bit of a meth addiction over the last 18 months & spent a good chunk of my early to mid 20s as an alcoholic & have struggled with patches of poly drug use & a few years of nitrous oxide addiction (believe it or not...), so the addictive personality trait is certainly active within me but yeah heroin has never been my go to drug for escapism or whatever other reasons my addictions have arisen. Im not sure how or why ive managed to avoid picking up a habit, other than i really dont find heroin that exciting.... Sure the instant gratification & initial rush is fantastic but id sooner spend my last 50 dollars for the week on meth, alcohol or dissociatives before i would heroin. Also maybe my own insight into how i behave with other addictive substances acts as some sort of buffer zone, who knows but at this point in my life i just dont see it ever going beyond recreation.

After trying the chipping lifestyle, I decided it was not worth the trade off. One amazing day for 3-5 shitty anxiety depressed days.
No thanks.

You must have been psychically addicted. I've never had any sort of lingering affects or comedown days after heroin use.

That's why I still consider myself a chipper. I have NEVER been physically addicted to opiates. I don't let it get to that point. People can disbelieve me all they want, but it's just how I use.

Also, I have IVed heroin before. It was fantastic, but that was a while ago and I only snort these days exclusively.

You must have been psychically addicted. I've never had any sort of lingering affects or comedown days after heroin use.

That's why I still consider myself a chipper. I have NEVER been physically addicted to opiates. I don't let it get to that point. People can disbelieve me all they want, but it's just how I use.

Also, I have IVed heroin before. It was fantastic, but that was a while ago and I only snort these days exclusively.
I fully, for one, completely believe you. Some people though? I feel it's more of a "mind control" addiction. As I said, my soon to be ex did it every Saturday, all day long (snorting). On Sunday, he would be miserable. But just because he was sober, not sick. If someone is not feeling well 3-5 days later then it definitely is a physical dependency in my opinion as well. But again, it could just be the "mind talking"....as in I hate feeling "normal".

Again, I never even tried heroin. Just pain meds. Given all for free. Then I needed them and they didn't do a damn thing for me by then but just kept me "not sick" for 2-3 weeks out of every month. Yet it's also most always said that it begins with pain pills and then shoots up (no pun intended) to heroin? It never did for me. I was always too afraid. Unlike you though, I am an addict. At 1st though I'd go on "binges" of maybe 20 mgs twice per week and only to intensify an already "happy" day. In between those days? I was never sick nor did I crave. Once I was given a medical reason to use them though as well as getting them for free still? Then it became everyday and now I'm going to seek treatment since I don't want to live like this forever.

I'm sorry that this is a bit "off" of the topic of your post but when I read it the 1st thing that came to my mind is the same thing I always think: "everyone is different". My wds are horrific whereas some people just get a bit chilly, maybe throw up. Especially seeing as how many have told me that my dose isn't THAT high and that I should just "cold turkey it". Trying to do so? I've had seizures and 3 times my bp rose so high that I had mini strokes.

I don't even honestly know if heroine is even comparable to oxycodone (meaning through personal experience) and I never will know and for that I'm positive of because while "sick" I have had opportunities nearly every time to get heroin but didn't.

If it is comparable though then I can understand how it is so addictive. As for the fact that you know when to tell yourself that "enough is enough", as I said, I believe some people can and I for one am personally extremely jealous. It's just like a "drinker" (a drug is a drug no matter what the "drug" is)...some people can drink a glass of wine with dinner everyday and never develop a "problem". Yet others can get so "turned on" by the effects of alcohol and not know when to stop and become full blown alcoholics who binge drink from morning until night.

My overall personal opinion? And I hope I don't get negative feedback for this because it's just an opinion. I believe most addictions have to do with the chemistry of certain people's brains. Again, just my opinion, through seeing addictions all throughout my life within my family and now having an addiction myself. I'm 40 and used to always "brag" that the "addictive personality disorder" that runs in my family skipped right over me. But no. At age 38 I was an addict.

Like you, though, Hatrix...when I was around 20 or so I used meth a few times. My thoughts? I liked it "too much" and never touched it again. And again, I'm happy to hear that you are able to do that with heroin. My biggest fear now (at my age)? I'd get a bad "batch" which is going around my area and I would end up dead. Yet the fact is that if I continue going on like I am (even though I do have severe medical problems), I could very well end up dead also.

So sorry, again, that this went off topic yet each time I hear about some people being able to "control" themselves concerning drugs? I think of my maybe 5 time "trial" with meth and how much I loved it and also about my soon to be ex husband who just used every Saturday. And again, I praise and am jealous of those who are able to do so:)0

I'm a heroin chipper, i first tried it in the 90's and it's funny i have the exact opposite experience of most heroin users, first time i tried it i shot it, well a friend IVed for me. It wasn't till a few years later when i made a new contact that i started to smoke it of foil. I think i never got physically addicted to smack for two reasons, One i am hopeless with needles and can;t iv myself and two most importantly i never buy more gear than i need for the one session.

But that said in the future i may try and fake a Heroin habit to my doctor just so i can get a steady supply of methadone to sip on when i am coming down from meth. Even then i don't plan to drink the methadone everyday.

I'm a heroin chipper, i first tried it in the 90's and it's funny i have the exact opposite experience of most heroin users, first time i tried it i shot it, well a friend IVed for me. It wasn't till a few years later when i made a new contact that i started to smoke it of foil. I think i never got physically addicted to smack for two reasons, One i am hopeless with needles and can;t iv myself and two most importantly i never buy more gear than i need for the one session.

But that said in the future i may try and fake a Heroin habit to my doctor just so i can get a steady supply of methadone to sip on when i am coming down from meth. Even then i don't plan to drink the methadone everyday.
I will admit to being a bit "drug naive" but how is methadone going to help you "come down" from meth? It's for opiate withdrawals or for severe pain. If it has other uses then I apologize but to the best of my knowledge it's only going to work for an opiate addiction and meth isn't an opiate as I'm sure you already know.

And if you have a doctor that will just take your word for it that your a heroin addict and prescribe you liquid methadone? Well then many true addicts should come and live wherever you do since many want to get off of the drugs but aren't able to because of the severity of the "rules" that come along with going to many methadone clinics and also because the cost is sometimes too high. For many it's cheaper to just go buy heroin. Sad, but true. And I'm not even a heroin addict nor have I even ever tried it yet even I know this to be factual due to people I personally know and also due to what others on this site have written. Sorry if I'm coming off a bit harsh but what you wrote doesn't make much sense to me. Heroin is much cheaper then meth but you're saying that you'd never get addicted because you "never buy more gear then you need for a session". How much meth do you buy and use that you need something to then "come down from it"? Seems to me like you may be a heroin "chipper" but maybe not a methamphetamine one?

Last edited:
I will admit to being a bit "drug naive" but how is methadone going to help you "come down" from meth? It's for opiate withdrawals or for severe pain. If it has other uses then I apologize but to the best of my knowledge it's only going to work for an opiate addiction and meth isn't an opiate as I'm sure you already know.

It's an interesting question and indeed methadone is used for replacement treatment for addiction to opiates. Maybe OP has a better come down from meth when in use of methadone (?)

But for how long have you done that, I know it's been pointed out, it is very difficult to actually say for sure whether you have a once every 3-4 month habit, or whether you're just at the point along your own personal path to addiction.

Lots of people (myself included) sustained some kind of arbitrary habit like that for years before developing full-blown addiction. Is it correct to say I was previously, successfully a chipper? Until I wasn't? Or that I was always an addict and that was just the path? I suspect there are no easy answers to these questions.

I further suspect you may be closer to the edge than you know - might just be a death in the close family, a job loss, a marriage break-up; some classic trigger, and that might all all you need to slip over that edge you never even realised you were straddling so frailly.

I have been doing this for the past 6 years. I've had deaths and other tragic incidents occur in that period. I don't see heroin as fixing my reality. I see money as fixing my reality, I'm concerned with giving myself the best experience in this life possible rather than getting high and falling back on my goals. When im feeling depressed I listen to motivational speeches on youtube. Heroin is more of a rare vacation than a coping mechanism for me. I liked the theme-park analogy, going to Cedar Point once every few months is nice, but I have no desire to go back the next day as I have other shit to do that I'll be missing out on if I'm wasting my day to re-ride the same rides I just rose.

Like riding the dragstar is a rush, but I have no desire to ride it, get back in line, ride it, get back in line for 3 hours.. repeat

Wow! This is honestly the most bizarre thing I've read here on Bluelight in ages! I've never even heard of anyone who uses opiates like you do! Amazing! Surely after you've done heroin codeine does nothing to you? I mean it's just crazy! Codeine addict who occasionally takes a day long break to shoot up heroin instead! It's just absolutely incredible! I mean I've heard some stories dude, and to be totally fair to you man, you manage to use heroin without becoming a heroin addict, and if it works for you it works for you, and I bet when its time and you feel like you want to quit the codeine, you'l have a damn easy time doing it compared to us who have real heroin habits, and yet you have experienced the pinnacle of opiates whilst remaining dependent on the mildest one there is. Holy shit dude, you know what, I salute you. Such a strange yet weirdly genius system.

Honestly, to me it just sounds like any other journey to heroin addiction. I hope I am wrong, truly.

I have been doing this for the past 6 years. I've had deaths and other tragic incidents occur in that period. I don't see heroin as fixing my reality. I see money as fixing my reality, I'm concerned with giving myself the best experience in this life possible rather than getting high and falling back on my goals. When im feeling depressed I listen to motivational speeches on youtube. Heroin is more of a rare vacation than a coping mechanism for me. I liked the theme-park analogy, going to Cedar Point once every few months is nice, but I have no desire to go back the next day as I have other shit to do that I'll be missing out on if I'm wasting my day to re-ride the same rides I just rose.

Like riding the dragstar is a rush, but I have no desire to ride it, get back in line, ride it, get back in line for 3 hours.. repeat

You sound more like the sort who may continue through life without addiction, I've met quite a few like you, with that kind of attitude. So long as you're not using it as a crutch, you may well continue like this.

Heroin is definitely more of a primal addiction. It positively activates the psycho-survival area of the brain and subconsciously manipulates the users mind to believe that they are 100% safe and secure. The euphoria comes from the primal instinct that drives humans to continue to live, the journey to survival has being completed on dope.. heroin acts as an end-all to suffering, it's perfect. It's euphoria comes from a profound state of complacency, and it's very easy to become accustomed to survivalist perfection. That's why i believe heroin feels like a more Primal bliss, it's not energetic drive, social euphoria, it's not loving or sexual, it's not spiritually moving or creative, thoughtful or intuitive. It's basic, it's easy, it's instant, everyone is a star in it.
Geez, you should create an infomercial for heroin useage. Lol:).

I've been using heroin for not even 6 months, on and off, smoked a few times but mostly snorting, never IV. I usually take it for a week to two weeks everyday, half teenth lasts no more than 3 days. After a week or two week binge (I'm at work when high) I go into withdrawal for 3-5 days, usually mild but it is shit. I always say 'that's it, I'm done', but as soon as I feel better I go buy more, then repeat the whole process again...

I can't seem to stick to a two day rule or anything, I just take the lot and buy more. I'm unsure why I have a break after 2 weeks, it's just what I do. Not had any since Saturday evening, it will be 72 hr point tonight, yesterday was horrid at work - although I'm already thinking it's payday tomorrow, maybe I'll score some.

I've known people who were like this with pharmaceutical opiates like hydro, oxy, and codeine as I was like this when I dabbled with them-I'm lucky I never became addicted; but I never met anyone who was like this with dope/H.

I know two: a good friend and caring mother, and myself. I oder 1g once or twice a year for myself, she has her own source. I got like .2g within my arms reach but zero inclination of doing some, I'll rather roll a spliff. But it's the best for bad stim comedowns or to make a heavy trip more mellow.

I've been using heroin for not even 6 months, on and off, smoked a few times but mostly snorting, never IV. I usually take it for a week to two weeks everyday, half teenth lasts no more than 3 days. After a week or two week binge (I'm at work when high) I go into withdrawal for 3-5 days, usually mild but it is shit. I always say 'that's it, I'm done', but as soon as I feel better I go buy more, then repeat the whole process again...

I can't seem to stick to a two day rule or anything, I just take the lot and buy more. I'm unsure why I have a break after 2 weeks, it's just what I do. Not had any since Saturday evening, it will be 72 hr point tonight, yesterday was horrid at work - although I'm already thinking it's payday tomorrow, maybe I'll score some.
This was always my same exact life when it came to pain meds (mostly oxys). Every, single thing you just wrote it was like reading my own autobiography. I can't even tell you, "you've made it 72 hours so keep going" (yet someday I hope that I can) because I know how it feels. I've made it 2 days. Yesterday I was "ok". I even told off all people that I knew could "help me out". Today? I feel like I'm being slowly tortured even though I've committed myself to sobriety "this time". What will tomorrow bring though when I'm having trouble making it through just tonight? As addicts (both past or present) it's almost like we never know. Something that non addicts will never understand.

It doesn't make us any less better then anyone else though and whether I do or don't continue on the path that I'm trying to go on right now? I'd still never think any less of anyone who continues to use. I don't think anyone that's ever been addicted to anything would. Anyway, all the best to you and to all others. It's hard. That I know. Extremely hard.

This was always my same exact life when it came to pain meds (mostly oxys). Every, single thing you just wrote it was like reading my own autobiography. I can't even tell you, "you've made it 72 hours so keep going" (yet someday I hope that I can) because I know how it feels. I've made it 2 days. Yesterday I was "ok". I even told off all people that I knew could "help me out". Today? I feel like I'm being slowly tortured even though I've committed myself to sobriety "this time". What will tomorrow bring though when I'm having trouble making it through just tonight? As addicts (both past or present) it's almost like we never know. Something that non addicts will never understand.

It doesn't make us any less better then anyone else though and whether I do or don't continue on the path that I'm trying to go on right now? I'd still never think any less of anyone who continues to use. I don't think anyone that's ever been addicted to anything would. Anyway, all the best to you and to all others. It's hard. That I know. Extremely hard.

I feel quite good today, had another restless night sleep though, I'm unsure why I have a drive to keep doing things that I know in the long run isn't good for me.

You're almost there man, toady might be torturous, but in a couple of days you'll feel a lot better. It's then you make a choice, do you want to really go through this again? It's difficult I know, I always need a crutch or something to make life seem a bit better (my life is good in all honesty, some personal stuff that I've been dealing with though). Although, for years now there's always been some kind of vice - alcohol, benzos, even sex, that's done more harm than good.

I don't know why it's so hard for people who are addicted to accept that some people use heroin recreationally. For the people who use recreationally, there is always the risk of addiction. A government website, drugabuse.gov, claims that 23% of people who use heroin will become dependent during their lifetime. As someone pointed out in another thread, those are still scary odds. Would you put a gun to your head and pull the trigger if there was a 1 in 4, or even 1 in 5 chance of there being a bullet in the chamber?

I'm not sure how that statistic has been garnered, but I would think that drugabuse.gov, if anything, would exaggerate the dangers... But then again, that may not be true. They may have nefarious reasons for putting that number out there; they may secretly want everyone to try heroin. (I'm being serious, by the way. The drug war puts money in many pockets.)

Still, I'm not ready to claim an all-out conspiracy when it comes to that statistic. I actually think it sounds about right. There are many people who use heroin recreationally and don't go on to become addicts. You just don't see these people because they run in different circles, and they aren't open about their use.

Does that mean everyone should go out and try heroin? Of course not! As I said above, the drugabuse.gov statistic is enough to make any reasonable person stay away.

Approx. 25% may sound low to some people but to me it sounds pretty high, actually (not high as in "too high", or inaccurate, just in that that's an impressively high addiction rate for a drug to have IMO) Not as high as the addiction rate for nicotine but still pretty damn high.

I feel quite good today, had another restless night sleep though, I'm unsure why I have a drive to keep doing things that I know in the long run isn't good for me.

You're almost there man, toady might be torturous, but in a couple of days you'll feel a lot better. It's then you make a choice, do you want to really go through this again? It's difficult I know, I always need a crutch or something to make life seem a bit better (my life is good in all honesty, some personal stuff that I've been dealing with though). Although, for years now there's always been some kind of vice - alcohol, benzos, even sex, that's done more harm than good.
All you wrote? Again, very similar situation here. I don't really have a bad life either. It's pretty much all in how you make of it anyway. And when I reflect back onto the times within my life that were a bit bad? It was usually I who either made them that way or allowed and enabled them to be as they were. Yet, I too, always had a "crutch" but often never even realized it. I've been on Xanax for 6 years (but since they were always prescribed I never thought much of it that I take them every single day). Plus I've also had times of binge drinking, or if not binge drinking then just thinking it was "normal" to work from 7pm until 7am and instead of getting home from work and reading the paper and having coffee, I'd read the paper and have 2 or 3 extremely potent drinks. Ha, (even as a female) and solely due to the fact that my true identity is anonymous, I will even admit to a time within my life where I also had "binge sex"....uggghhhh, that's somehow even still embarrassing for me to even write:).

Always just a "little something extra" though is my overall point. Now with these pain meds? I've never made it past 2 days within about 3 years of constant useage. I never bought them but often resorted to begging and pleading for them. Somehow as a woman it works if you tell a man you think you're going to "die". How pathetic because obviously I'm not going to die yet have often felt like I was going to.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go off the subject of this thread yet often out of curiousity view many threads that concern heroin. With this one, to be honest, I just wanted to know what a "chipper" was:). Once I found out I realized I was once married to one. Not a very chipper "chipper" though (the wording of that almost makes me want to laugh if not for the fact that he actually was an extremely EVIL "chipper")..........

All and all, I'm glad you're feeling ok today:). I'll just be blunt and say I'm sure NOT yet a the fact that I can sit here and type such a long message without having to take a "vomit break" has to be at least somewhat of a good "sign", right:)? I would also like to say again that I could DEFINITELY never be a chipper "chipper":). If I fall, I fall. If I fail, I fail. My biggest goal this time is to just keep going for as long as I possibly can:)