• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is anyone else tired of hearing people calling different weed strains "strands"?

burn out

Bluelighter
Is anyone else tired of hearing people calling different weed strains "strands"?

I hear this so often, even at dispensaries. It's one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to marijuana.

Strands as in strands of fiber?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone that's not totally uninformed say like. It's such an easy correction--and people make fun of you so quickly lol

All of these words get so overused so quickly though... "fire" "terps"

Haha, "fire". That always brings to mind one particular memory, of walking around Seattle at age 17 with my friend, trying to get someone to buy us booze (we already had weed). Some guy with a backpack walked up behind us while we were at an intersection...he looked just like Tommy Chong, with an impressive beard, and said in this really low, deep voice: "you boys lookin' for some fire?"

We replied no, we already had "fire", we were looking for booze though. He introduced us to some random homeless people who bought us 40s, and in return we smoked them out in the stairwell of a nearby apartment building. Good times. I admit to still using the adjective "fire" to describe a variety of high-quality drugs, shamefully...

OT: I've never actually heard someone use the word "strand" to describe weed. "Strain", yes, "strand", no.

Yes, finally someone recognises how irritating it is! I don't mind if the person says acknowledges they're in error but if they insist they're right when they're clearly not it is annoying lol. I don't know where this misconception came from but it sure as hell isn't the correct terminology.

Last edited:
I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this but I've seen a lot of people lately saying that strain is wrong and the correct term is cultivar. Bubbleman stresses this on hash church and I agree that the definition is pretty on point.

"a plant variety that has been produced in cultivation by selective breeding." - google definition

I guess it's not true for land races, but I'm sure over time we've selected the good phenos. I feel like almost everything available today though isn't a true land race but I'm sure they're still out there

Ohhhhhh my dear god one of my 'stoner' friends says 'strands' and it fuckin gets to me.

Hummm...

Maybe the guy's tongue just misplaced the "s" and he meant "Trend$", actually... M'well it would make sense if he was a Canuck bigot anti-cannabic Liberal or Conservative prohibitionist anyway, as more synonymous expressions can be expected to emerge that will sound like "opportunity", "venture" and so on. My bet is that in a few years cannabis culture may become extinct and a new vocabulary reflecting Wall Street values could as well replace it on planet Itnoc, In The Name Of Children!

:|

By then "stoners" (or "droÿés") will be called "target$" (or dead sitting ducks on a lake in haunting season), etc. After all in no more than 5 months of Trudeau's "legaleezation" Canada managed to commit HOMICIDE over CANNABIS already, far from Toronto or even English Canada for that matter, with zero waves in Ottawa's parliament (e.g. total indifference as it occured in Montréal/Québec)...

Etc., etc.