View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Is Ambien similar to a dissociative or psychedelic at 40mg

anotnon

Bluelighter
How similar would you say it is to a dissociative or psychedelic (and which one is it more similar to) if you take 40 mg and stay awake on it

Last edited:
Neither.

I should edit that because I made a mistake,

Ambien is a nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic, and it's hallucinogenic effects are most similar to a deliriant.

Wikipedia said:
Zolpidem (brand names Ambien, Ambien CR, Intermezzo, Stilnox, Stilnoct, Sublinox, Hypnogen and Zolsana) is a prescription medication used for the treatment of insomnia and some brain disorders. It is a short-acting nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic of the imidazopyridine class

I said I made a mistake. There it is in the second line on the page.

It's not remotely psychedelic. It's also not a dissociative, which is a sort of psychedelic experience (in my opinion). The effects are completely different from either. It produces relaxation, sleepiness, and, in high enough doses, hallucinations of the deleriant variety, ie, where you are not aware you're hallucinating, you're so out of it that what you see seems real. In that regard it is similar to high dose diphenhydramine, or datura (though not as extreme as datura).

Yeah definately not a psychedelic or even remotely similar. To dumb things down psychedelics makes me see pretty colors and shapes, dissociatives induce dream-like states (sometimes fully immersive), and ambien makes me talk to walls and see things that don't exist. Diphenhydramine is probably the closest "trip" I would relate it to as far as ambiens visual aspect. Obviously there's more to the psychedelic experience besides visuals but I can almost assure you you won't be coming up with any revelations on ambien, at least any sane ones lol. Also you gotta keep in mind that chasing a hallucinogenic experience with ambien usually leads to blackouts and stupid actions that you will likely regret.

Wikipedia lists "Hallucinations, through all physical senses, of varying intensity" & "Delusions" in the side effects.

I've taken 30mg doses and even then I get some mild visuals (Like day dreaming). I get a pretty bad headache the next day (I think this is pretty uncommon symptom though, I just threw the info pamphlet away - but I'm pretty sure it was less than 3% occural).

EDIT: More than 1 in 100 occural for headaches - http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/p...omnia&medicine=zolpidem tartrate&preparation=

Taken from an erowid trip report

Effects of high doses:
I usually use 10 mg, one pill, but have experimented a few times with up to 100 mg dosed over a few hours, out of curiousity. This amount is NOT recommended. I found that the 'fun' effects, like visual distortions did not increase beyond 15 mg. Instead I fell into a trance-like state in which I basically did not know what I was doing and why. There was severe memory loss and I have only fragmented memories about what I have been doing on these high doses. But I remember being in a dream-like trance where I had a few actual hallucinations, talking nonsense to myself or to people who were not there. At one time I fell on the floor and for a few seconds I was sure there was someone there trying to help me up, but there wasn't. Sometimes I have tried to write stuff down on paper while in this state. The next day when I find this paper many of the words are misspelled in a strange way: some of the letters have been repeated, for instance 'bizarre' turns into 'bbizzarrre'. I never meant to misspell those words and it illustrates well what kind of state I was in. Muscles are weak, it's almost impossible to stand or move around and I knocked things over.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=14039

ambien is not psychedelic at all it can make you hallucinate though. it's more like a really shitty benzo.

I took 30mg and not much occurred. Some double vision when I was looking at lights or screens but that was about it. Nothing I would call mind expanding or psychedelic really.

Ambien is classified as a hypnotic, but not a benzodiazepine. The problem with it is that if you take it and don't lie down to go to sleep, there are many stories (some funny, some scary) about things you do that you won't remember at all. It can be a complete blackout. Many users have reported things like waking up in the morning, covered with food, proof in the kitchen that they prepared and ate food with no memory of it, or things like waking up in the morning to find that they have sent emails and posted on things like facebook with no memory of it.

Lots of frequent users report weight gain because of ambien making them hungry, or like I mentioned above, eating without remembering it.

It gets worse though. There are too many stories of people taking their ambien and waking up in handcuffs on the side of the road without remembering that they drove anywhere. Way too many stories of people driving on ambien and having the double vision thing, or worse yet, having no memory of driving and having wrecks. Not good.

I would encourage anyone who chooses to use it in high doses without planning to go to sleep, to give your keys to someone responsible and staying in for the night.

As for what it does - no, not psychedelic at all. I never had hallucinations with ambien, just double vision, heap big hungry, and amnesia.

Ambien is classified as a hypnotic, but not a benzodiazepine. The problem with it is that if you take it and don't lie down to go to sleep, there are many stories (some funny, some scary) about things you do that you won't remember at all. It can be a complete blackout. Many users have reported things like waking up in the morning, covered with food, proof in the kitchen that they prepared and ate food with no memory of it, or things like waking up in the morning to find that they have sent emails and posted on things like facebook with no memory of it.

Lots of frequent users report weight gain because of ambien making them hungry, or like I mentioned above, eating without remembering it.

It gets worse though. There are too many stories of people taking their ambien and waking up in handcuffs on the side of the road without remembering that they drove anywhere. Way too many stories of people driving on ambien and having the double vision thing, or worse yet, having no memory of driving and having wrecks. Not good.

I would encourage anyone who chooses to use it in high doses without planning to go to sleep, to give your keys to someone responsible and staying in for the night.

As for what it does - no, not psychedelic at all. I never had hallucinations with ambien, just double vision, heap big hungry, and amnesia.

These are definitely very common, my mom takes zopiclone and she often gets up in the middle of the night to make food, eat a bite and fall asleep on the couch or something with no memory of it.
Once she built a fire in our fire pit at 3am haha

I wonder how similar is zolpidem (Ambien) to Amanita Muscaria?

Structurally, ambien is most similar to a 5-methyl tryptamine.

No come on, it may resemble it superficially, but it is very misleading to say.

'Fraid so.

Structurally, the class of drugs which ambien most closely resembles is, without a doubt, the tryptamines.

Maybe if you are trying to match it to the backbone of one of the better known (recreationally or entheogenically used) psychoactive drugs yes, correct. But it is pointless to do that. Fact is, zolpidem is an imidazopyridine and while you are right that they are bioisosteres of tryptamine, in this context they are just different, the pharmacophore is different, I'm sure the SAR is nothing alike, so my point is: it is quite meaningless to make the analogy you are making, and if someone would try to draw any conclusions, assumptions or deductions from this they are likely to run into trouble right away.

I didn't tell anybody to draw any conclusions. I just pointed out a fact.