• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Is a lie by omission truly a lie?

dr-ripple

Bluelighter

NO Leaving something out could be the result of not knowing all or the complete story. As far as im concerned no individual knows ALL about ANY particular subject, object, or orb. Just as I don't know the completeness possibilities of this post.

Some people would say yes, others would say no. I fall somewhere in the middle.

I'll give an example from my own life. I had a valuable item (electronic) stolen from me recently. $150 or so would be the replacement cost. I won't be receiving it back as the person who stole it from me got busted for an unrelated matter. Someone else, with whom I am closer, knew about the theft and deliberately withheld the information from me. Is this person a co-defendant under the law? Absolutely. I asked that person where the item was and they played stupid. Ignorance isn't a defense. This person is well capable of knowing someone stole my electronic equipment, and withheld that information from me. To say I am angry is an understatement.

dr-ripple, if we knew everything, ignorance would not even exist. Since we don't, it's probably in your best interest to find out the truth before acting. Nobody knows everything, but if you are true in your belief, you will take the liar to task. If you don't know for sure, it remains as speculation. False accusations are worse than lies. I hope everything works out for you.

In a society where justice often plays the part of a slave, one has the right to be discriminating with whom they share the unedited truth with; imho.

NO Leaving something out could be the result of not knowing all or the complete story. As far as im concerned no individual knows ALL about ANY particular subject, object, or orb. Just as I don't know the completeness possibilities of this post.

What you describe here isn't a lie by omission because omission implies that you know something and willingly withhold it. What you're talking about is simply ignorance, which everyone has to various degrees. Telling a story and leaving certain parts out that you know really happened is lying because you are trying to reflect it in a certain light. Forgetting and denying are two different things.

"Jerry died" versus "I shot Jerry" is a total, all out, lie. How could it not be?

I agree that it depends on the situation.

If you honestly did not know the information then obviously, there was no intent to lie. However, if you know something and avoid telling someone or bringing it to light because of potential consequences, then yes it is definitely, definitely, a lie.

NO Leaving something out could be the result of not knowing all or the complete story.

Unless you were to express this mathematically...perhaps an example would help clarify your position? As you put it, however, the act of omission/withholding information for the purpose of rendering a statement that is founded on information/knowledge that one feels is not certainly correct or otherwise inconclusive, viz., essentially the one who answers does not wish to give a statement that has, in his opinion, a weak foundation, is not necessarily lying - if, in the particular scenario, the proponent aims to extract a statement/answer and the deponent withholds from answering due to the fact that he truly cannot give testimony to something bearing great weight [ex., 'who killed Mrs. Whatsit?' - 'umm.. I don't know'] because he is unsure. He might be almost certain but the slightest nuance of doubt hinders him from rendering a statement...

Is this lying? Returning to the murder scenario of Mrs. Whatsit....the deponent might be sure that his best friend killed the victim, however he did not see it with his own eyes and suspects that his friend is obviously the killer due to whatever circumstances...

If asked 'did your best friend kill Mrs. Whatsit?', the deponent is NOT lying by answering 'NO'
If asked 'do you suspect that your best friend killed Mrs. Whatsit?', and the propounding entity is not blocked from proceeding further in obtaining an answer, [I am not a lawyer by the way...just my little brain writhing in whatifs] does the proponent lie if he says 'NO'? If he knows he suspects it, and answers that he does not suspect it, he is lying. However, does he truly suspect it or is he confused and unclear, due to whatever circumstances, about his suspicion to begin with? In this case answering 'YES' would also be a lie if the deponent suddenly realized he might be caught up in the tumult of the entire affair and is unsure of his stance.

Give an example....

What you posit is WAY too vague. I'm thinking courtroom scenario and all the goes with it. You might be thinking of something else. Your statement is neither correct nor incorrect since it is unclear what you posit. Set it down fully and heavily or else it makes no sense and is either redundant or something that is so transparent and vague, it can have no adjective ascribed to it. [/QUOTE]

As far as im concerned no individual knows ALL about ANY particular subject, object, or orb. Just as I don't know the completeness possibilities of this post.

Within this nightmare you describe...I understand , I think what you are talking about.
However, you started out with declaring that you hold the following. How can you have a position of any sort regarding any topic including the very notion of 'inability for anyone to be certain about anything', if in your praise of the rule of uncertainty, nothing is certain....that is a statement. You wrote it. Why did you write it if there is no point to writing anything because nothing is certain. What do you intend to say/imply/ask/....etc.

اسکندر بزرگ -

It isn't omission if the other party did not know. It is only a omission if they knew and witheld it. So yes, it is a lie. And quite an annoying one aswell as too many people think it is justified in comparision to an outright lie.