• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Education Is a communications degree useless?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I just got accepted into college this week and I was excited but ever since reading online experiences people have had when doing a Communications degree in uni, I'm now a bit worried I won't be able to find a job after four years.

I've heard that I need to get work experience in my course and build connections.

I think it's useful to get a degree irrespective of what it may be in. With that said, if possible, I would switch your major. Communications is kind of a bullshit degree and companies know it. With that said, having a degree is kind of just a thing you need and often times will allow you to get your foot in the door at companies. I doubt you'll be working in your area of expertise itself, but a lot of companies just require you to have a proper undergraduate of some kind. If you are determined to continue forward as a Communications major, I'd be networking my ass off and working at the same time as going to school. I wouldn't bank on a Comms. degree to get you any job you couldn't get without a degree really. I certainly wouldn't take on a debt for a Comms degree. Good luck!

I think it's useful to get a degree irrespective of what it may be in. With that said, if possible, I would switch your major. Communications is kind of a bullshit degree and companies know it. With that said, having a degree is kind of just a thing you need and often times will allow you to get your foot in the door at companies. I doubt you'll be working in your area of expertise itself, but a lot of companies just require you to have a proper undergraduate of some kind. If you are determined to continue forward as a Communications major, I'd be networking my ass off and working at the same time as going to school. I wouldn't bank on a Comms. degree to get you any job you couldn't get without a degree really. I certainly wouldn't take on a debt for a Comms degree. Good luck!

That had me ready to punch my screen - then half way through I realised it was 'the onion'. Well played sir... 😆

That had me ready to punch my screen - then half way through I realised it was 'the onion'. Well played sir... 😆

As soon as I saw the post, this video immediately sprang to mind. I mean, it's such a useless degree that the Onion is doing satire pieces ffs. My Sister has a Comms. degree and it is useful for... being able to check the level of education attained box as "University degree" - that's it. With that said, it is useful if jobs have that as a minimum requirement and you can demonstrate ability outside of the degree.

@cowardescent Now for a serious answer.

Attaining a degree in any subject isn't going to harm you. It can open doors and make you stand out from the crowd - unless every other cunt in the field you want to enter has the same degree.

Just about any degree will get you on a management training program for Fuckem & Forgettem luxury used car sales, if that's your bag. But if you want to forge out a career in a related discipline then you need to get the highest possible degree. Anything less than a 1st isn't going to make you stand out from the crowd, and unless you're filthy rich, it's a lot of money to spend on a whim.

You need to be sure what you want to do.
You need to be sure that you can attain it.
You need to be sure that you can afford it.

If you're not sure of any of these then perhaps an undergraduate degree is not right for you.

I personally question the validity of any degree these days - they are either a doorway to corporate banality or a stepping stone to obtaining even more qualifications and getting stuck in the loop of academia for life.

Gone are the days of doing a degree just for summat to do or for personal fulfillment (as I did).

Nowadays they make you pay, so you need to make sure it pays...

Last edited:
Increasingly many major companies are looking less at the specific degree and more the results within it plus all your extra-curricular interests and activities as well as your internships. If your comms degree is from a decent university and you are in the top quartile or better in your grades then its likely that it will get you somewhere. However, to evaluate whether the degree is the really the right one, you probably need to think first about what kind of role you are after and second what kind of company (and even the specific companies).