View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is 900 mg enough to cause a blackout?

greenlight2848

Ex-Bluelighter
Is 900 mg enough to cause a blackout? I mean to where you won't even remember the trip? If I take 900 mg will I get stuck and not be able to move as well? I might go for this dose but it's not going to be worth it if I black out and don't remember it.

Not literally, no. DXM has not been shown to cause Olney's lesions unlike other dissociatives. However, regular DXM abuse is well-known to be associated with residual psychological deficits. It's not something I would recommend doing more than occasionally especially if you're going to be taking high doses.

Also, 900 mg may make some people black out, particularly without tolerance or experience, but I think most people take that dose expecting to remain conscious. However, having taken only up to 600 mg myself, I have to say that even if you don't black out, you still may not remember much of it in retrospect.... To me strong dissociative experiences always seemed more about just having the trip for its own sake rather than being able to bring much back with you. As for whether or not you'll be immobilized on that dose though, I'm afraid someone more educated will have to answer....

I was just kidding about the holes in brain, more sarcasm than serious.

I am taking the dose tonight so if others with experience around this would post it would be great. I might take 700-800 but no more than 800 because I don't want to black out. I have read reports of people takin 900-1200 and did not blackout, but their tolerance could have been high and they could weigh more than me. I weigh 145-150 Ibs btw thanks

If you can hold yourself to that schedule, yes. Dxm has quite a bit of body load, and your organs will be taxed. So once a month is fine if you are healthy otherwise.

Either way, 900 won't be a blackout, especially if you have disso experience before you will be able to 'handle' yourself ;)

I took a dose close to 900 but not exactly. It was pretty cool and I was very very high. Trippin pretty much. I could hear music that wasn't even playing (auditory illusion). Yeah you are probably right, once a month seems about right to recover from last experience. Thanks for the response.

Also DXM is heavy on the liver enzymes so make sure that you are not mixing things when taking it. Then there is the whole play on the serotonin receptors so you need to make sure you are not taking SSRI as you can give yourself serotonin syndrome. I use to us DXM pretty regularly when I was 16-17, almost every Saturday night by myself in my room, I use to thoroughly enjoy spending the evening with my head down on my computer desk for hours at a time "watching the movies in my head" as i use to call it. My dose was 718mg, or something, 1 standard 8 oz bottle of maximum strength tussin.

Just be careful and read about it and dont abuse it or assume you can ever pass for sober and youll be fine. Take it during the day and go out in public and you will appear like some crazy bug eyed drunk dude who looks like he is about to kill someone, with this crazed "dxm face" thing going on.

Also DXM is heavy on the liver enzymes so make sure that you are not mixing things when taking it. Then there is the whole play on the serotonin receptors so you need to make sure you are not taking SSRI as you can give yourself serotonin syndrome. I use to us DXM pretty regularly when I was 16-17, almost every Saturday night by myself in my room, I use to thoroughly enjoy spending the evening with my head down on my computer desk for hours at a time "watching the movies in my head" as i use to call it. My dose was 718mg, or something, 1 standard 8 oz bottle of maximum strength tussin.

Just be careful and read about it and dont abuse it or assume you can ever pass for sober and youll be fine. Take it during the day and go out in public and you will appear like some crazy bug eyed drunk dude who looks like he is about to kill someone, with this crazed "dxm face" thing going on.

"Take it during the day and go out in public and you will appear like some crazy bug eyed drunk dude who looks like he is about to kill someone, with this crazed "dxm face" thing going on."

Hahahahaha this made me literally lol

High-dose DXM rides are hard to retain in any coherent fashion. You might not black out, but Some general tips would be:

- pre load with lecithin, ideally for several days/weeks beforehand; has always helped me remember details from such rides

- create your own narrative within the trip; possibly start out with guided meditation (which is usually a good reference point for me), maybe follow it with some music, and then perhaps set an alarm that reminds you to do something -- take a bath, perhaps? (Though be careful bathing on dissociatives; I believe that's how D.M. Turner passed away.)

- write down notes from your experience during said experience, at specific times, or you can even tape yourself

But basically, high-dose DXM rides are less about detail and more about archetypes. Don't try to hold on to the experience, but let it exist on its own terms. Put some structure into the experience, but the core of the experience will take you places where memory appears as a lower-dimensional construct. Best to just lay back and feel your body float out from itself and roam the stratosphere.