• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is 7-hydroxy-mitragynine (7-OHM) Possible in Salt Form?

nonames

Greenlighter
I have read anecdotal reports, all which seem to be based on a report from erowid(1), that you cannot salt out 7-hydroxy-mitragynine (7-OHM) from a basified extraction of kratom alkaloids. The erowid report claims that 7-OHM cannot be made into a salt, yet provides no evidence.

The claim seems dubious to me, but I do not have a background in chemistry and am only an at home tinkerer. Perhaps, some of the greater minds here can debunk or elaborate on this claim. Any help expanding on this 8 year old claim, would be much appreciated. Thanks

Role-of-7-hydroxymitragynine.png

The tertiary amine will form a salt but the price of plain mitragynine is £1000s/gram and then you have to use the [ksshhshshshhshshh STATIC] which is risky as the reagent is explosive.

Extraction from kratom would be HARD,

Put simply, yes it will, but it isn't practical unless you have a LOT of kratom to get a tiny amount - there is no cheap way.

Remember 'crystal kratom' that was actually herbs mixed with O-desmethyl tramadol - that killed a few people.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be clear, I am not attempting to isolate 7-OHM. I was just curious, if when I do an extraction, after pulling the kratom alkaloids from an NP solvent and then salting them out of the solvent via 5% citric acid, if i would be able to collect any 7-OHM alkaloids in the resulting product. However minimal.

Last edited:
does this mean that an A/B extract of Kratom leaves would be inefficient? I read a thread on STB extaction of Kratom on DMT nexus, and apparantly the result was very active at about 40mg or so...

I would also like to attempt something like this. :)

so the information by clubcard (which you edited out) is definately wrong?

I wonder, because in my experience, if I eat Kratom on a completely empty stomach, it only really kicks in after a meal with some fats. taking it after a light meal, this is not necessary.

maybe the active compounds are not very well soluble in aqueous solution even when in salt form? but this is all just speculation of course.

Role-of-7-hydroxymitragynine.png

The tertiary amine will form a salt but the price of plain mitragynine is £1000s/gram and then you have to use the [ksshhshshshhshshh STATIC] which is risky as the reagent is explosive.

Extraction from kratom would be HARD,

Put simply, yes it will, but it isn't practical unless you have a LOT of kratom to get a tiny amount - there is no cheap way.

Remember 'crystal kratom' that was actually herbs mixed with O-desmethyl tramadol - that killed a few people.

cc, are there some inactive alkaloids in M. speciosa that may be able to be extracted and used as precursors for useful semi-synthetic opioids? I'm thinking a la oripavine, thebane, etc. in P. somniferum