View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is 4-AcO-DMT a good beginners drug?

LordRymdapa

Greenlighter
We all know how hard it is to search the net for very specific things. I want to try some psychedelic / dissociative drugs but I want to start as soft and slow as possible. I thought rc's are the easiest to get and I feel there are some useful ones out there it's only that it is a jungle for a newbie. I would like the weakest psychedelic /dissociative rc there is which is a weird request. Somewhere I picked up that 4-AcO-DMT was a good one to start with but I have no clue. I want the first experience to be like seeing colours different and hearing sounds in a new way. Is there anyone who wants to help and has the time I'd appreciate it so much you can't believe it.

One of the philosophies of this forum is that we don't provide drug recommendations, that everyone needs to make up their own mind if they want to consume a drug or not, based on their own research and learning. The highest purpose of this forum is harm reduction, and in that spirit I would say that 4-AcO-DMT is a good beginners drug for the following reasons:
-it's close to non-toxic
-it has a fairly short duration compared to some other psychedelics so it's less of a commitment for a beginner
-it's effects tend to be very benign and more or less easy to handle

4-sub tryptamines in general are a pretty safe beginning.

Please make sure that you measure your dose so that you know what you're taking, and if you decide to do it, I would recommend you start out at the lower end of the dose range.

^Perfect post! It's always a good idea to compare trip reports of various chemicals to see if it's something for you. Recommending chemicals leads to a different sort of culture, which is why I chose BL over other forums. It's less about "oh this drug is good" and more about getting the right information out there. (everything from harm reduction to experienced effects to more advanced discussion) However, I think asking "is this OK for your first time" fits perfectly within that theme IMO

Must add though that, at least for me, 4-Aco-DMT is in the top of serious chemicals for me, surpassing even LSD by quite some in this respect. There can be lots of chaos within your mind, sometimes confusing and sometimes a bit much. Thought loops and stuff like that are not too uncommon. This is a bit higher in the dosage range, but still within the reins of a "normal dose." It's also one of the best psychedelics and some of my more memorable trips have been on this. I think an important question should be what you want to get out of this trip. If it's about personal or spiritual growth then this one is perfect. If you just want to see what it's like or would like to see things then I personally would try a different one.

p.s Also, in my experience, I've felt that the place you're thinking of kind of feels like a limbo where you just feel a bit different. If you take care of the place you'll trip (tip: try something where you can change the scenery at any given time, though the comfort of your home can be nice as well), the way you feel about taking it at that time and if life hasn't been too unforgiving then getting visuals and a real trip isn't really that bad

Last edited:
I don't care for 4 aco dmt at all and doesn't seem like a good intro to psychs IMO. It's also very sedating for me. Music appreciation is ok, but pretty meh compared to LSD. I have a bunch of it sitting around and I'll be glad when it degrades to psilocin. Mushrooms are a much more pleasant experience for me. LSD is my personal favorite. For a beginner, stick to the classics. LSD, mushrooms, mescaline, those types of things, just start low. I haven't found too many RCs that I am super pumped about but there are some gems I am sure, just haven't waded too far away from what I know and like. Lower range doses of mushrooms and LSD are good place to start. Low dose LSD is a very manageable experience but some people find the duration a little troubling but i really wouldn't worry about that. Strength can usually be attributed to dosage, so keep that in mind.

I took 4acodmt on my second trip and i had a pretty great time. Op, if you're unsure about it, maybe concider a lower dose for first-time. As perpetualdawn said, overall, 4-sub tryptamines are good beginner psychs all things concidered.

I only took 4acodmt twice, but both times were really enjoyable, especially the second time, that i did it in woods. I felt really amazing just wandering about, admiring nature, talking to trees, exploring the ant colonies, thinking about the magical spirit of mother earth. I really felt interconnected with nature and basically, i had a blast.

Prepare your set and setting, this is important, think about having a sitter with you and just enjoy the experience. :)

I haven't actually tried either (yet) but 4-HO-MET or 4-AcO-MET sound like they might be a little more forgiving. 4-AcO-DMT is really nice most of the time but it can get pretty deep compared to some of the other 4-subs. I can't say I've ever had a bad trip off of the stuff but I've had plenty of challenging ones, even with quite low (~10mg w/o tolerance) "party doses". Roughly equivalent doses of shrooms seem to be more reliable in producing nothing but good vibes (though there's often something slightly "dark" edge to the visuals) at low doses from what I've experienced.

To be honest though, I think mescaline or something similar could make for a better introduction to psychedelics than tryptamines. Body load is more of an issue for some people (the internet can make it seem far more common/extreme than it really is due to confirmation bias) but, psychologically, it's really gentle and always good vibes IME (though I've never pushed the dosage far beyond threshold).

My mate had a weird reaction to 4-aco-dmt, he was smashing his head on his wall, we was at a squat rave, it was my first intense psychedelic experiance , it still felt easier to handle than lsd and shrooms and the visuals are 10x better than shrooms, more like dmt, great drug just be careful guys :)

P.s this drug has a real earthy feel it's great

i don't have any experience with 4-aco-dmt, so i can't comment on that specifically.

when you say you're looking for a "weak" psychedelic, do you mean you want to have visuals but no mental effects? i don't think there is a substance like that and if there is i wouldn't really call it a psychedelic.

one substance comes to mind that is often called "lighter" oder "not as deep" as the classic hallucinogens, which is 2c-b. but even that will put you in a psychedelic state of mind, which by definition can turn uncomfortable under the wrong circumstances. this could be seen as a good "beginner psychedelic" in so far that the chance of an uncomfortable experience is reduced. on the other hand maybe it's not an ideal introduction, because it could lead you to assume all psychedelics are like that.

my introduction to psychedelics were mushrooms. those would have the advantage that you get a feeling of what a somewhat typical psychedelic feels like, and then you can go from there and decide if this substance-class is something you want to explore further. also with mushrooms it's really hard to fuck up the dose, with a substance that is active in the mg-range you have to be a lot more careful.

4 - ACO DMT and 4 - ACO MET would be perfect choices for your purposes . . Just be sure to start dosing low , and work your way up in small increments as you feel comfortable .

4-AcO-DMT was my first non-ergolid synthetic tryptamine. The potency, experience, and safety level of 4-AcO-DMT are excellent. 4-AcO-DMT had beautiful visuals with vivid yellow, green, blue, and red.

I found 4-AcO-DMT to be very anxiety-inducing and unpleasant; however, my set was not optimal.

I personally think mushrooms are great for a beginner. The duration is short, there are minimal lingering after-effects (eg. you come down to complete baseline before sleep in a more full way than say with LSD, you can sleep sooner after comedown, appetite returns more quickly, less spacey-ness in following days etc), they don't require milligram scales to weigh out, you can get a better idea of how strong they will be as LSD can be unevenly laid or misrepresented in dose and milligram scales can be inaccurate. They also give quite 'full' feeling experiences no matter what the dose, so low doses can make a great introduction to tripping, where LSD or 2c-x trips at lower doses often feel like they're missing something, but full doses of them might be too much for a beginner. Also the fact that they are natural can often give peace of mind to a newbie to drugs, even if it is purely psychological. The experience in itself also gives a good range of the kind of effects to be expected from psychedelics generally, from the more giggly to the more serious.

So yeah mushies would be my recommendation, followed by 4-sub tryptamines like 4-AcO-DMT as they're very very similar, then the longer acting ones like LSD and it's analogues and Mescaline. The only NEVER for a first time would be DOx simply from the duration. Oh and don't bother with 25x-NBOMe, ever. 2c-x drugs would probably come after 4-subs but myself and many people I know bot personally and indirectly have had horrible lingering anxiety/HPPD from using them, IDK why because everyone online loves them, but yeah I don't recommend them to anyone anymore due to that.

i have been present for a lot of friends first times trying a new substance. I have never been present for someone trying psilacetin as their first psychedelic drug, however I've witnessed more than a few people try it as their first "rc psychedelic " and it's almost always a good time for the newcomer.

I guess 2-cb is in my opinion a better starters psychedelic if you don't want to trip you're balls off.