• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Is 330 ng considered low testosterone?

Juicewrldfan

Bluelighter
So I am 40 years old and had my testosterone and PSA levels checked recently. I understand that 330ng is pass the cut off and within range but it’s only 50ng pass and my levels were drawn in the morning around 9am. So I’m assuming this is my peak levels. Seems a little low to me, though I have no symptoms.

I just got the results today and haven’t discussed with provider yet.

Gotta look at symptoms not just bloods.

It also depends on life activities. For example some guys are ok with lower levels of T until they start going to the gym regularly. They build muscle but start becoming impotent. It's because there's not enough T to cover both muscle development and sexual function.

To simplify:

Instead of "Do I have enough T?", it should be, "Do I have enough T that I need for the level of health + life activities that I want?"

Gotta look at symptoms not just bloods.

It also depends on life activities. For example some guys are ok with lower levels of T until they start going to the gym regularly. They build muscle but start becoming impotent. It's because there's not enough T to cover both muscle development and sexual function.
That makes sense, but correct me if I’m wrong, I thought resistance exercises increase testosterone in short and long term if you continue it. The reason why I mention it is because I am starting weight training back up and some cardio.

As it stands now, I don’t have any symptoms of low T. I would like it to be higher though.

I’ll be honest, to me I would try to do something to fix that. I believe one can really up the numbers through diet and exercise.

I guess as @Foreigner said, how do you feel?

-GC
Thanks man. Yeah, I would like it to be higher too. I mean I’m only 40 FFS. So yeah, I’m going to start an exercise regimen up tomorrow and work on proper nutrition. No more junk food for me.

Part of the reason I think it may be somewhat low is that I put on about 30 lbs since I’ve been off work the last 5 months. I start back work Tuesday next week though. I guess what I’m saying is I weight 230 and am 5’10. So I’m technically considered obese. I thought I read that having increased fat can reduce testosterone but could be wrong.

I really appreciate your alls support and encouragement.

I’ve got everything going against me and have been able to keep mine fairly decent at high 500’s to mid 600’s with afternoon testing. I smoke cannabis heavily daily, on buprenorphine, had cancer and chemotherapy.

I exercise daily. Weight training and HIIT will boost T. Avoid sugars and processed, artificial foods at all costs. Eat plenty of healthy fats and quality meats. Look up what foods are testosterone friendly and which ones aren’t.

-GC

That makes sense, but correct me if I’m wrong, I thought resistance exercises increase testosterone in short and long term if you continue it. The reason why I mention it is because I am starting weight training back up and some cardio.

As it stands now, I don’t have any symptoms of low T. I would like it to be higher though.

It's true that weightlifting increases T, if the body can increase it. Otherwise, what T you have gets allocated to muscle growth and away from the sex organs, so you suffer things like impotence. If you're able to weightlift and not suffer obvious low T symptoms, then it might mean you're good. Hard to say.

Thanks man. Yeah, I would like it to be higher too. I mean I’m only 40 FFS. So yeah, I’m going to start an exercise regimen up tomorrow and work on proper nutrition. No more junk food for me.

Part of the reason I think it may be somewhat low is that I put on about 30 lbs since I’ve been off work the last 5 months. I start back work Tuesday next week though. I guess what I’m saying is I weight 230 and am 5’10. So I’m technically considered obese. I thought I read that having increased fat can reduce testosterone but could be wrong.

I really appreciate your alls support and encouragement.

Did you get any other hormones tested? Ideally, before taking T, you should get the following blood tests:

CBC
Bioavailable T
Free T
Total T
Estradiol
DHEA

FSH & LH
SHBG
Prolactin
TSH, Free T3, Free T4
AM cortisol
Fasting glucose & a1c
Liver panel
Lipid panel (cholesterol, LDL/HDL)

CRP
Iron panel
Vitamin D3
PSA

I know that's a lot of tests, but some of your symptoms may be related to other things, like thyroid, or insulin resistance. The ones in bold, IMO, are absolutely necessary before you ever touch T, but if you could get them all that would be better.

And of course, diet is an important part of any weight loss plan.

Andrew Huberman has done testing with two herbs that boost testosterone 200-300 points. Research it. See of these work short and long-term, when you discontinue them.