⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Is 1984 a worthy adaptation?

Book>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>movie, great book

I always wondered what gave orwell the inspiration to write that book. My guess would be English bureaucracy. Does anyone know?

He was stationed in Spain during the Spanish Civil War and was able to observe how the winning faction was, at any given time, fully aware of the need of the enemy to maintain moral authority over civilians. He witnessed propaganda campaigns at the same time as dinner was shared between opponents, as if the war was just a game being perpetrated during assigned hours.

Also, he worked at a Ministry of Information job very similar to that of Winston Smith's.

The pain and hospitalization from being shot in the throat by a sniper probably inspired the passages relating to organized torture and general helplessness.

I think most of that is correct, but probably missing a lot of important details that make it pretty obvious that this is definitely the guy who would write 1984.

I don't ever remember Gilliam saying that Brazil was an interpretation of 1984 and I have the Criterion Collection Brazil. There are similarities, but Brazil is a very different beast. It is Gilliam's best film, without question (IMO), and he's produced a handful of worthy contenders (12 Monkeys, The Fisher King, Fear and Loathing, Munchausen, Tideland, etc.)

To say Brazil is a rip off of 1984 is utter bullshit, IMO. There really aren't that many parallels. And I think, as a writer, it's impossible to not be influenced by certain books or authors. George Orwell leaves an impression and you can't help but build on that. Doesn't mean it's plaigarism or repetition. The restriction that art should always be original is contrary to ourselves. We are a redesigned version of somethin else. Perhaps Brazil is in some way the same when compared with 1984. I don't mean it's a more sophisticated version, but to deny that ideas evolve is ludicrous. I could point out a dozen parallels to basically any film you could suggest.

To say Brazil is a rip off of 1984 is utter bullshit, IMO. There really aren't that many parallels. And I think, as a writer, it's impossible to not be influenced by certain books or authors. George Orwell leaves an impression and you can't help but build on that.

In the criterion commentary he says 1984 was the primary influence for the film and describes it as "the Nineteen Eighty-Four for 1984."

Doesn't mean it's plaigarism or repetition. The restriction that art should always be original is contrary to ourselves. We are a redesigned version of somethin else. Perhaps Brazil is in some way the same when compared with 1984. I don't mean it's a more sophisticated version, but to deny that ideas evolve is ludicrous. I could point out a dozen parallels to basically any film you could suggest.

totally agree, to describe it as a rip off is ridiculous

The influence would possibly be more noticeable had you read the book beforehand. I agree with you wholeheartedly about it being gilliam's best work, it's an amazing original work, I think I'd enjoy it even without dialogue haha, gilliam's visual style is almost unparalleled, I hope he has another brazil or 12 monkeys still in him.

12 Monkeys was a great movie. I had no idea it was the same director. I once again apologize to Gilliam for accusing him of plagiarism, I probably should have read up on the movie before criticizing it as such.