• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

IR 10mg Methylphenidate Extraction

ADDs

Greenlighter
I have 10mg instant release tablets with methylphenidate and fillers.

What would be the best extraction to use to remove the fillers?

I've looked at the below fillers and none are soluble in water:
- Calcium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate (insoluble in water but soluble in acids)
- Microcrystalline cellulose (insoluble in water and ethanol)
- Maize starch (insoluble in water at room temp)
- Magnesium stearate (insoluble in water and ethanol)

Methylphenidate is only half as soluble in water than it is ethanol, 18.6 mg/ml and 29.3 mg/ml respectively.

I'd prefer not to use ethanol as it may create ethylphenidate which I'd rather avoid.
As they're instant release, would cold water extraction suffice? From my research, methanol would only be required if it was in an extended release form.

Any tips/advice would be incredibly helpful.

Ethanol isn't going to transesterify to ethylphenidate during an extraction very quickly. That happens in humans because of the catalytic cycle of esterases.

The first step of ester hydrolysis is the enzyme binding the ester with a serine alcohol group, displacing the alcohol portion of the ester. The second step a water molecule will come in and bind the carboxyl portion of the enzyme-ester intermediate turning it into a carboxylate. If there is a sufficient concentration of alcohol in the system some small portion will attack instead of water in this step to transesterify the enzyme.

You could transesterify the methylphenidate outside of the body, but you would need both a catalyst (usually an acid), and likely to reflux the reaction for a while to drive it to completion.

An alcohol as the solvent would be benificial because you would not need to add anything to adjust the pH to more basic, which would then co-extract.

With an alcohol (methanol has better solubility than ethanol, but ethanol should be sufficient), you would simply dissolve the ritalin in the alcohol, and run through a coffee filter or similar filter to separate out the insolubles, then evaporate the alcohol to yield your cleaned up methylpgenidate (which won't be 100% pure because coffee filters will allow some particles through). Alcohols have some advantage because their lower surface tension will cause the alcohol-methylphenidate solution to flow through the filter more quickly, and the evaporation of the alcohol will be easier.

hey, im new here. i get 54mg of Methylphenidate. the brand name is xaggitin xl. my question is.. how and can i do a extraction then am i able to smoke it? i only want to know exactly how to do it, with cold water. i dont want to know anything else just if its possible and how? thanks x