Intramuscular Injection (IM Injection) Deltoid muscle has been hurting months after

Jasonleon92

Greenlighter
Hey, I was wondering if any body has ever had any problems after IMing to the Deltoid muscles of the arm. I know it's common for it to hurt days or weeks after but both my arms are still not feeling right months after. Last december I was in Asia getting Ketamnine from a Veterinarian establishment. I was on a K binge from Decmeber to February (daily). I think I must have done around let's say 100 Injections, maybe less. maybe more. I would IM to the deltoid muscle of my left and right arm, always around the same spot which I researched and learned was the recommended area.

I would switch arms when one began to become sore. Now It's september...I stopped in February and my arms still giving me trouble, feeling sore after using them too much and I don't bother doing things like play guitar because they start to give me mild pain even writing with a pencil. The pother day I picked something heavy up with my right arm and there was this intense sensation as if a nerve pinched almost saying that it couldn't handle that weight, it was a skateboard though. I went to the doctor...they said that a needle couldn't do permanent damage due to the short length and they prescribed me anti inflammatory but nothing. Any advice or thoughts? Anybody been through the same thing?

Thanks

Steroid forum knows a lot about this stuff too, worth a shot.

Sounds like impurities fuckin wit cha to me, since its Asian product (lov u Asia but srsly)

Thanks, I'll try the steroids forum too. Hmmm you think there's impurities as in bad chemicals floating around in my arm?

While rather uncommon, nerve damage that persists is known to happen after IM injection into the deltoid muscle. It is possible the needle itself did structural damage or the chemical produced a toxicity to the nerves. This is seen even after single injections (mostly vaccines but other drugs as well) and you said you did roughly 100. You may need to see a neurologist if it doesnt improve.

While rather uncommon, nerve damage that persists is known to happen after IM injection into the deltoid muscle. It is possible the needle itself did structural damage or the chemical produced a toxicity to the nerves. This is seen even after single injections (mostly vaccines but other drugs as well) and you said you did roughly 100. You may need to see a neurologist if it doesnt improve.

Yes. Also, what size needles were you using?

too small. need at 1-1.5in for proper i.m. administration depending on your size. some of your drugs were probably going subq instead which is not necessarily a terrible thing but could be part of your problem ...

too small. need at 1-1.5in for proper i.m. administration depending on your size. some of your drugs were probably going subq instead which is not necessarily a terrible thing but could be part of your problem ...

Delts are your shoulders
1 1/2 needle is way too big for the shoulders

as far as the OP i have no idea personally

well yeah ... depends on body size, if you're not enormous 1in will usually sufice in the deltoid ... I read the OP too quickly I guess.

Last edited:
Thats not true Mike. I give IM injections all the time and use 1&1/2 inch needles. 1 inch is usually sufficient but depending on weight and body size it may not be.

Thats not true Mike. I give IM injections all the time and use 1&1/2 inch needles. 1 inch is usually sufficient but depending on weight and body size it may not be.

Even when I was 250 I still used 5/8 for my delts tris and bis.
You would need to be very very big to need something that big, morbidly obese or in the 300+ range of being a body builder

Nah. Of course I am talking about vaccines but the drug has little to do with needle length. Up to around 150 lbs 1 inch is recommended. 150-260 1 or 1.5. Over 260 1.5. Varies for men vs women but forget exactly the differences. Its pretty close though.

Take it from at least 2 medical professionals posting ITT, insulin sized needles aren't appropriate for IM administration. Various drugs need to be given deep i.m. or can result in abscesses, chlorpromazine comes to mind, has to do with pH and other chemical properties of the solution, so at least 1.5in to the gluteal, except in very small patients, and always to the gluteal or as a last resort the vastus lateralis, definitely, never the deltoid, I've seen lot of abscesses from Thorazine to the deltoid given by nurses who haven't read the package insert, more than anything else I'm familiar with which is mainly psych meds, but a lot of drugs may have weird pHs that can cause tissue damage if given subq or insufficiently deep IM. Long acting formulation like depot antipsychotics and steroids also need to be given deep i.m. or don't absorb properly, as the steroid forum will tell you.

Last edited:
Take it from at least 2 medical professionals posting ITT, insulin sized needles aren't appropriate for IM administration. Various drugs need to be given deep i.m. or can result in abscesses, chlorpromazine comes to mind, has to do with pH and other chemical properties of the solution, so at least 1.5in to the gluteal, except in very small patients, and always to the gluteal or as a last resort the vastus lateralis, definitely, never the deltoid, I've seen lot of abscesses from Thorazine to the deltoid given by nurses who haven't read the package insert, more than anything else I'm familiar with which is mainly psych meds, but a lot of drugs may have weird pHs that can cause tissue damage if given subq or insufficiently deep IM. Long acting formulation like depot antipsychotics and steroids also need to be given deep i.m. or don't absorb properly, as the steroid forum will tell you.

this is one of my most referred sites i can think of in the body building community

http://spotinjections.com/index3.htm

*What size needle do I need?

The smaller the gauge the larger the needle.

22 or 23 Gauge, 1.5 Inch is ideal for injections into the glutes.

25 Gauge, 1.0 inch is ideal for injections into the quads and can be used for all spot injections.

25 Gauge, 5/8 inch is often used for tricep/bicep/delts

it might be necessary for some drugs which i have no experience with to go deeper then that, but not steroids
And the reason i mentioned that is despite my lack of knowledge of K i wouldnt advocate someone use a needle that large in a delicate place like the shoulder

I'm not an expert in the nonmedical use of steroids, but 5/8in IMs in normal sized adults are not standard medical practice, nor are injections in the biceps, triceps, etc. I would think that by analogy to depot antipsychotics depot steroids will work better deeper IM too but I don't have too much experience in this area. But anyway deviating from standard IMing practice can be seriously dangerous, abscesses, hitting nerves, veins, arteries, etc.

Im on plenty of boards and ive heard many war storys trust me
injecting steroids and doing a lot of things that these people do is not standard medical practice at all ;)

Just did some Googling on that subject and it meant for some disturbing reading. It just doesn't seem to me that the putative benefits local to the injection site would outweigh the risks. However though I am familiar with all kinds of injections in standard medical use and recreational drug use but this is beyond my area of expertise.

Steroids are now being administered sub q under authority of trt doctors. As for needle length,
I use half inch slin pins in deltoid, triceps, and quads. Sometimes one inch in quads. 1.5" for glutes. Half inch for pecs. If you're reasonably lean, most drugs can be injected shallow IM with z track method to prevent leaking into sub q region.
Though it is true certain drugs do need deep IM injection such as hydroxizine. The drug will cause blood cells to rupture up in contact and local site trauma.
Id suggest going to a neuro. I pin delts pretty frequently with 1", 5/8",1/2" and never had issues. I've had more issues with my quads honestly.

Ive tried sub-q test injection before at the start of a cycle to test it out, but i couldnt say how much better or worse it worked then IM injections, i just know it worked

A couple of things spring to mind, you could have inadvertently hit a tendon causing damage via multiple injections into the same area...
We administer ketamine IV with glucose to avoid cellular damage, I'm unsure if this same precaution should be applied with IM..

5/8" would be fine in delts if BF% was low, (1" would be preferred) no need for 1.5", which could be a little excessive..