• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heroin Intramuscular Heroin?

Aqlis

Discord Admin; Peas & Pasta Czar
Staff member
Obviously IV is preferable from a recreational standpoint because of better bioavailability / faster onset but if for whatever reason one does not want to usd IV, is there any reason to caution against IM heroin use

Yes intramuscular injections really must be sterile solutions (with bac water containing alcohol) to prevent potential infection.

Street drugs are not pure enough nor clean enough to take the risk for an abscess deep in your muscle.

It’s not something you want to take the risk on and are much safer using IV, but using IV heroin these days isn’t safe at all due to fentanyl and overdose and death is highly likely.

Leave IM injections for sterile solutions, it’s not worth the hospital trip

Luckily, where I live fentanyl in heroin is exceedingly rare. Upon consideration there appears to be no advantage to IM over say, smoking it on foil or in a pipe from a corner shop so I will probably just do that. Thank you for your response.

Luckily, where I live fentanyl in heroin is exceedingly rare. Upon consideration there appears to be no advantage to IM over say, smoking it on foil or in a pipe from a corner shop so I will probably just do that. Thank you for your response.
Good call moving to smoking it on foil as opposed to IM use for the sole reasons the folk above have stated 👍🏻

On that note, if I were to smoke it in a pipe rather than on foil what type of pipe is best? I assume a regular crack pipe or a weed pipe would do the job and it ultimately matters little but I'm still curious.

On that note, if I were to smoke it in a pipe rather than on foil what type of pipe is best? I assume a regular crack pipe or a weed pipe would do the job and it ultimately matters little but I'm still curious.
hello and welcome to bluelight.

there really isn't a 'great' pipe to smoke heroin in. considering you have to 'chase the dragon' when smoking the heroin. I am assuming that you had already or know how to smoke it right?
I've heard of people smoking H using a homemade 'office type of fluorescent bulb' because it was long as fuck (was about 2 feet or so in length), and have heard of others using a plain lightbulb.
It's a pain in the ass to scrape anything and scraping anything in a glass smoking device can be difficult.

I don't think a weed pipe would be anywhere near ideal as it would just burn the heroin up surely & waste it. The reason for chasing it on foil is cos it's the vapour ya wanna be inhaling. I've no experience with using a crack pipe for anything so not sure how that would work out. Why not just stick to the tried & tested method of chasing it on foil?

My prior experience smoking it save for the first one (where I didn't get much of an effect, likely due to poor chasing technique?) have almost all been using a crack pipe save for times I have sniffed it which I also found effective but the full onset (1-2hrs) and total duration (was still feeling it ~24hrs later, though about 8 of them i was asleep) put me off, by that point I was wishing for it to be over.

I would like to get as strong a hit from a single inhalation as possible, my concern with foil being my lack of skill whereas a pipe seems very straightforward in comparison.

I don't think a weed pipe would be anywhere near ideal as it would just burn the heroin up surely & waste it. The reason for chasing it on foil is cos it's the vapour ya wanna be inhaling. Why not just stick to the tried & tested method of chasing it on foil?
I second that. 'Smoking' is technically the wrong word for chasing, just like you don't really smoke opium, you vaporize it.
And it's the safest method for my money, because you can titrate your dose somewhat, like you can't with injecting or snorting where it all goes in at once.

Injecting into muscle or sub-dermally carries a high risk of abscesses, as has already been pointed out.
If you do inject mainline ; but use fentanyl test strips (get them from Dance Safe, they're the most reliable I've found).

A good way to smoke it if your not into foil is a silicone dish that you would store honey oil hash in, then get a quartz or stainless nail and attach it to a tube so the nail it at the end of the tube, heat your nail and put it into the silicone dish with your H in it and inhale the smoke, by far the best way to smoke H

I would say IM is an awful idea with street heroin but I've had two really bad experiences. I IM'd some black tar heroin on two seperate occasions and ended up with gaping holes in my arms. Wouldn't do it again or hell what am I saying I probably would if I were desperate enough but I've mostly left drugs alone for the last few years. Few slip ups

Don't look at it like one route of adminstration is wrong and one is right per se. Muscles are going to diffuse a shot into the bloodstream at a slower rate than by going straight into the vein. This, in turn gives the shot/solution more time to, for lack of a better word, fester in one area, making a complication like infection more likely just by definition, regardless of how careful you are.

If a solution is medically sterile, there is no problem. It's just a slower onset, less of a rush, etc. I can tell you that in my last couple of years of injecting, I was almost always going IM and had one complication (abscess in my bicep) compared to ten years of IV with none. That should give you a basic statistical idea of the difference. I was always careful, rotated sites/muscles and I still think it was because I became careless with hygiene.

Overall, intramuscular injection is riskier than IV, but it's also much more efficient than smoking heroin. IME, the key to safe IM injection of street heroin is making sure to always use a 0.22 micron filter (available cheaply on Amazon in the US, at least) before injecting the solution. Then, you want to put it directly into a fresh syringe -- ideally, a Luer lock barrel with an attachable needle at least 1 inch (25mm) long, up to 1.5 inches for heavier-set people.

Holding the needle at a 90 degree angle, aim for a legitimate IM site (like the side of your upper thigh) and stick the needle all the way in, so that you actually hit muscle tissue and not the SC fat layer. Finally, dispense the shot at a rate that feels comfortable, and pull the needle out at a 90 degree angle. There may be some solution left in the barrel when you're done, which you can dilute with sterile water and re-inject.

My prior experience smoking it save for the first one (where I didn't get much of an effect, likely due to poor chasing technique?) have almost all been using a crack pipe save for times I have sniffed it which I also found effective but the full onset (1-2hrs) and total duration (was still feeling it ~24hrs later, though about 8 of them i was asleep) put me off, by that point I was wishing for it to be over.

I would like to get as strong a hit from a single inhalation as possible, my concern with foil being my lack of skill whereas a pipe seems very straightforward in comparison.
You can use a pipe with kitchen brilo as the filter but it does waste a lot of it

Don't look at it like one route of adminstration is wrong and one is right per se. Muscles are going to diffuse a shot into the bloodstream at a slower rate than by going straight into the vein. This, in turn gives the shot/solution more time to, for lack of a better word, fester in one area, making a complication like infection more likely just by definition, regardless of how careful you are.

If a solution is medically sterile, there is no problem. It's just a slower onset, less of a rush, etc. I can tell you that in my last couple of years of injecting, I was almost always going IM and had one complication (abscess in my bicep) compared to ten years of IV with none. That should give you a basic statistical idea of the difference. I was always careful, rotated sites/muscles and I still think it was because I became careless with hygiene.

Hi Keif' sorry just got out of treatment for the 900th time got back on the needle, but...

for curiousity sake, could one use BAC water to inject street drugs IM?? or is the alcohol not enough to kill off suspected bacteria?

not sure if you'll know the answer to that I sure don't

Obviously IV is preferable from a recreational standpoint because of better bioavailability / faster onset but if for whatever reason one does not want to usd IV, is there any reason to caution against IM heroin use
I use to IM my heroin when I couldn’t get a vein and it caused a ton of infections in my arms. If you can stay away from the needle then my advice is to smoke or snort it.

I totally spaced on a very important point here. I feel like a total dick for not mentioning this.

There appears to be a pretty well-defined risk in injecting Heroin in the form of unrefined Tar as opposed to a fully dry powder like we have west of the Mississippi. I think another important point to make here is that, if you've used up your veins, your muscles will in turn get used up to. Whatever happened to your veins, whether its your fault or that of the universe, will likely happen to your muscles. They will harden and not allow for further injections.

For this reason, while you can inject in a muscle in a pinch, you should probably be aware that you're entering into the autumn/winter of your injecting career in which decisions are eventually to be made regarding how to move forward. There are many other routes of administration open to you with competitive bioavailabilities.

I totally spaced on a very important point here. I feel like a total dick for not mentioning this.

There appears to be a pretty well-defined risk in injecting Heroin in the form of unrefined Tar as opposed to a fully dry powder like we have west of the Mississippi. I think another important point to make here is that, if you've used up your veins, your muscles will in turn get used up to. Whatever happened to your veins, whether its your fault or that of the universe, will likely happen to your muscles. They will harden and not allow for further injections.

For this reason, while you can inject in a muscle in a pinch, you should probably be aware that you're entering into the autumn/winter of your injecting career in which decisions are eventually to be made regarding how to move forward. There are many other routes of administration open to you with competitive bioavailabilities.

Agreed. Out of any drug I've ever shot, including meth, cocaine, adderall pills, oxycodone pills... Black tar heroin did the most damage to my veins out of all of them. The track marks I have that lasted are from black tar heroin.

Filtered with just a cotton, even good tar can be disgustingly murky, even for IV let alone IM. But using micron filters can make it much more attractive and (seemingly) much safer for muscling. If it's done properly, the solution you're left with is a nice translucent brown liquid, with no particles or cloudiness visible to the naked eye.

For tar as opposed to powder, I add a step. First, I draw it up straight from the cooker into a 3ml barrel and then pass it through a 0.45um (25mm) filter, squirting it into another barrel. The idea behind the 0.45 filter is to remove the larger particulates without putting too much pressure on the tighter filter (or it will burst). After that, I screw a 0.22um filter on the second barrel and pass it through, dispensing it straight into the injection rigs.

I won't mention prices, but for anyone in the USA (most of the black tar using population), they are pretty accessible and affordable even in small quantities (#10). Personally, I can filter at least several grams worth of tar through the filters before they start to feel clogged (too much pressure), so it is a very trivial expense compared with how much is being spent on dope, especially when it is really night and day -- especially for musclers.

All this is very interesting. Muscling doesn't sound very good at all. The IV way is THEE best! Much better rush and really isn't that the main reason (other than my back pain) for all this?