Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Interstellar

How was McConaughey's acting, sometimes I can't deal with it at all.

I loved his acting, but i felt like in some scenes his words were mumbling into each other.. i had to really focus on what he was saying. But after watching him in Dallas Buyers Club and True Detective, i was excited to see him in a movie of this magnitude, and he didn't disappoint me.

after watching it on friday i had to immediately go to pick up my son from my parents' place (way earlier than usual) and spend some time with him. my heart strings were pulled so damn much. :D <3

taking wifey to imax tonight. can't wait.

i saw it on the amc imax in san francisco on saturday night. my friend and i ate pot and that peaked about 1 hour into the movie which was perfect.

overall, i was disappointed. there are some scenes in the movie which are truly beautiful, visually and emotionally. they're exploring some interesting concepts and themes but the dialog was frequently cheesy and some of the exposition was incredibly heavy-handed. less could have been so much more.

nolan's surely a talented film maker but, here, i feel he was trying way too hard to manufacture an epic - as opposed to making a great film - and it fell short.

alasdair

Last edited:
I checked it out on sat. Its definitely worth seeing without a doubt. Some amazing scenes. I think I need to see it again to form a better impression. But some thoughts after the first view. The picture at times seemed spliced.. that is it did not flow very well at all. I belive some of this came from the remarkably different tone and feel, scenes would have.. usually a picture has better continuity. With this you could go from a massive modern action scene to what looked like a take shot with cheap camera and no lighting budget... if this became a patterned way the picture was presented then great.. but it was almost like the subcontracted out twenty parts of the movie to twenty different directors and studios.. then spliced them all together expecting the results to match up.. they don't.. lighting, color, tone, camera angles, frame size.. it all just varied all over the place.. and distanced me from the work.

I think Matt damon was an awful cast for his small part.. I have really enjoyed some of his pictures, but he really is an undynamic actor, period and his only character and style failed his part utterly.

Music makes a movie... they had some decent stuff when the epic parts were going down.. but the stuff they used during so much of the rest was not very good and did not promote flow.. Good music could have made a huge difference.

I also agree with Ali that less would have been better..

All that being said.. I think the reason I was so harsh he is that it was pretty fucking amazing and could have been epic and ranked up there with the legends.

I guess i need to see it again to know what I really think of it.

Second viewing created one gripe. Imax is essential if it is an option. Forced letterbox ruins all the imax camera shots. They were framed through the camera and the experience seems incomplete without it.

Most will have to sadly wait for the bluray. The batman blurays had the imax frame maintained.

Another note I forgot earlier is the delicious score. 2001 soundtrack mixed with Philip Glass like keys. Divine.

Second viewing created one gripe. Imax is essential if it is an option. Forced letterbox ruins all the imax camera shots. They were framed through the camera and the experience seems incomplete without it.

I think this is what happened when I went.. I did not know it was shot in IMAX.. That has to be why the flow was off and why it seemed pieced together... it also explains why the soundtrack was to substantial for the acoustics as its probably designed for the IMAX system.

I'm definitely going to see this in its intended format, on the correct screen, and with the right S system.

I can't wait to see this in IMAX! I'm a Nolan fan, his movies are real happenings imo

I guess I may have to see it a third time. Was going to see in IMAX but went to reg screening.

fucking matt damon

Spoiler
NSFW:
When he sat up out of the cryotube all i could hear in my head was 'MAAAAAT DAAAAAAMON'', infact half the audience let out a chuckle the moment he popped on screen

Now i understand why some scenes looked weird, i thought it was just me. Yeah i will try and see this again in IMAX, i dont think there's a 'proper' IMAX screen like there is in Melbourne here in Perth.. but whatever IMAX substitute they have would be better then what i saw on a regular screen.

Honestly, the regular screening is too small for a film like this..

I think im really going to enjoy the Bluray release of this film..

Last edited:
Spoiler
NSFW:
When he sat up out of the cryotube all i could hear in my head was 'MAAAAAT DAAAAAAMON'', infact half the audience let out a chuckle the moment he popped on screen
lol, i didn't hear anyone chuckle tho its a reasonable response to that scene. i was stoned looking like huh?
I think Matt damon was an awful cast for his small part.. I have really enjoyed some of his pictures, but he really is an undynamic actor, period and his only character and style failed his part utterly.
yea, this. he really did annoy when he started going off his human survival rant, tbh not sure if it was him or the writing, bit of both i guess... that and also anne hathaway talking about love influencing her decision.

really tho i was super hype for this, read the spoilers from 2008 script http://interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/2008_script and tho it was my own fault, i was hoping for a movie like the 08 script. i can see the reasons people are saying shit like "this movie made me a better father" but heck i never want kids and wanted to be in awe for 2 hours of cool space travel, robot shit... o well

oh but the space scenes looked pretty darn cool.

gargantua wallpaper =)

UvFPRJ5l.jpg

Last edited:
Went for a second viewing in IMAX this time, it's definitely a completely different experience both visually and auditorily .. especially for the wide panoramic shots of space; it's so much more immersive.. the damm sound though is beyond loud, my ears still feel like their bleeding and the bass was literally rebounding off my chest.. but now i feel very satisfied.

I love good intelligent sic fi. By it's nature you do for the most part have to suspend disbelief and accept inconsistencies with such plot holes involving time travel and quantum physics that for most people is too complex to grasp even basic concepts. My only gripe with this move was they way it held our hand at the end and Cooper essentially gave a running commentary of what was happening. I compare it to 2001 where the final scenes do not really explain to the audience what is happening, yet you fill in most of the gaps despite coming out of the cinema thinking, "What the hell just happened?"

I wish modern audiences didn't need their hand held, didn't need a tidy ending, and could just enjoy the ride even if you really don'y grasp the intricacies of the pseudoscience. I would prefer an ending asked questions sometimes because trying to create hard science when none exists only highlights the areas that are unbelievable or glaringly wrong.

Saw it in IMAX, booooring. After 2 hours I was ready to get the fuck out of there.