Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Interstellar

Every movie I thought may be the in the top 10 didn't have to rewatched.

^ i read that 8 times and it still makes no sense...

alasdair

Nothing new on this. Only fragments from other movies. Anyone else noticed the Starwars R2D2 reference at the end?

Every movie I thought may be the in the top 10 didn't have to rewatched.

A lot of movies that I really like I didn't enjoy that much upon the first viewing: American Psycho, American Hustle, Reservoir Dogs, Talented Mr. Ripley, Taxi Driver, etc.

A lot of it had to do with my expectations of the movie and of what I thought the movie would be about.

I will hopefully be going to see it tonight. I'm excite! :)

will be seeing this tonight. The girlfriend isn't quit keen on it, hopefully this wins us over.

I finally got to see it in IMAX and the space shots were beautiful. I really liked the descent into the 5th dimension at the end, and the landscapes (or seascapes!) of the planets were gorgeous.
But I was disappointed by the story, it was teary and cheesy most of the time, not to mention the ridiculous speech about love... or the unbelievable way in which the main character finds a secret nasa site, and is then offered to pilot a space ship right on the spot! Something I would expect coming from Shyamalan, but not coming from Nolan. However, some scenes are so cliché and parts of the dialog are so cheesy that it might become a cult classic. It sure made me roll my eyes a few times. Not Nolan's best movie imo.

I'm not a fan of Nolan.
He hasn't made a really good film for over 10 years.
Interstellar - like Inception - was half brilliant / half idiotic.
There's some elements of an incredible film, floating around in there.
Not to mention some of the most inexcusable plot holes / contrivances I have ever seen.
It's not as good as Inception and I thought Inception was fucking stupid.
Definitely worth a look, though.
2/5

I heard this movie was racist.

When a film is made with an African American cast or a Chinese cast, is it racist?
Or does that only apply to "white" films?

The film isn't racist, at all.
Nolan has used African American and Asian actors in the past.
He doesn't have to balance all of his films out, perfectly, so that they accurately represent the population of the US.
It's more important - from an artistic perspective - that the actors are suited to their respective roles.
Whether or not skin color varies sufficiently to stave off accusations of racist casting is irrelevant to the process.

I saw it twice.

NSFW:
I need to see it again but I think the space-station at the end had 99% White people, and there were no 'strong' Black roles in the movie, really. Not to say they were weak in a way that isn't easy to understand, as in, they were playing very human parts that anyone can relate to, so it wasn't obvious and may not have been intentional. One example is the principle of the school who tells Cooper that his son isn't cut our for college. Cooper immediately says fuck off and talks over him, and switches his attention to the blond haired blue eyed White girl. The other was the guy who went on the mission with them. He dies. He shows certain weakness... Not to say he is bad in any sense- he us human. In fact, against being bad and for some strength, he endured years of being alone, and played a vital role, but, to the overall movie, he and the other played very minor parts (even if important, this guy's role).

The 'Blight' in an article I read was analogized with the increasing non-white population that is occurring in white countries. Blight of crops in this movie is a fungus, virus, and/or/or something. I believe they turn black, brown, etc. The dust kicks up. Coincidentally, this is what our future is looking like, with humanity killing off 75% of life by 2200 or so, even if the two aren't connected in any causal sense that I can think of at the moment.

I'll look for the article, but it was posted on a white supremacist website. Doesn't discount it being interesting. Not to say I 'bought it', and had issues with associations the author jumped to, but, again, found it of interest.

Also, the blame might fall on the European lines, if there is to be blame. Industrial tech bloomed from there. Without them plastic wouldn't be floating around the ocean. And without them raping the earth and exploiting everything, they wouldn't hold disproportionate capital and things which in this 'enlightened' age is shared back with others via free allowance of immigration and things, egalitarianism, anti-racism, multiculturalism, 'diversity', my words are kind of like shots from a shotgun sometimes but I hope my general direction is seen.

Last edited: