Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Internet providers unveil piracy crackdown plan

malakaix

Bluelighter
Wasn't sure where to post this, but since its directly related to Australia's major ISP companies i thought people here might be interested.

Australia's five major ISPs have revealed their plans to crack down on online piracy by sending warning notices to suspected illegal downloaders while assisting rights holders to pursue serial offenders through the courts. The Communications Alliance - which represents Telstra Bigpond, iiNet, Optus, iPrimus and Internode - says its plan protects consumers while respecting the rights of copyright holders.

During an 18-month trial, rights holders would send copyright infringement notices, including evidence of copyright infringement and the IP address involved, to ISPs who would then send "educational notices" to the internet users concerned.

Users who are suspected of further copyright breaches would then receive up to three warning notices before rights holders are able to pursue court action.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-...il-piracy-crackdown-plan/3699168/?site=sydney

I'm guessing this will be based on P2P downloads, in which case seedboxes should still work just fine.

So torrents will be okay?? I'm with iinet and they seem to be copping a lot of flack over it huh. If torrents are okay I'm gonna keep watching my TV shows that are FREE in the US.....

Torrents are 'P2P downloads'. Best thing is get a seedbox (which is a computer in like USA, netherlands etc) that you torrent to then copy to your computer later on once the file(s) are done. Or you can use 'NZBs' and usenet. a LOT quicker than torrents and it doesn't flood your network with overheads (geek talk!)

usenet for the win, has been for over 20 years for me :D

Yeah I have Usenet too, but I prefer private trackers :p

Oh, and Usenet is only quicker if you use public torrents :D

Wow, go nerds! :D Please note, if I can't download all my favourite TV shows at some stage in the future I will be calling on one of you to save the day for me! :)

Thanks wazza - I have no idea what you said just there but much like when I first heard of torrents, I'm sure I can google to help me figure it out. :D

Here's some geek/nerd speak for ya Nicky

Yeah I have Usenet too, but I prefer private trackers :p

Oh, and Usenet is only quicker if you use public torrents :D

I'd dispute that due to from the TCP/IP protocol RFC, usenet should be quicker if you have a low'ish amount of threads that gets ~100% of network download for your particular connection. By nature of design, torrents can't be faster than downloads that are 1-5 threaded downloads because of the overhead traffic that torrents generate :) Well, that's what I've found also from doing speed tests with regards to low-thread downloading via usenet vs (private + public tracker) torrents. I've been downloading stuff over the internet for over 20 years and always found FTP + usenet to be best for overall downloading. Still, I use one private torrent site, only for rare/hard to get motorcycle stuff, like old races, doco's etc, only due to that usenet either doesn't have these easily locatable and/or might be someone's privately ripped stuff that is only for the site I use.

Still, if you honestly find private trackers are better (say, download the exact same 500+meg file(s) to do speed test), cool, do that, I just can't see how the overhead traffic that is integral to torrents can make it quicker than low-threaded downloads.

just tell me when shit really is hitting the fan as then I have to tell SWIM to stop illegally downloading stuff or better still find a legal (or at least loop-holey) alternative =D