• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Interesting compound in mimosa

Nicely done! In the name of anal-retentiveness I suppose I should point out that extracting and purifying DMT without a government permit would make you a criminal in most countries. Hopefully that won't prevent publication, but you might want to be careful how you describe your methods if you don't have said permit. :)

Anyone take a guess at what you'd end up with if you tried putting some DMT in a pipe but it had a little NaOH left on it, got it nice and hot and let it react? I've smoked some not-washed-good-enough stuff before, and smoked in a bowl, its fine, but smoked out of glass, and there are definite 'crappy' effects (a different kind of crappy than the other alkaloids), probably more time to sit and cook with the NaOH.

Next time I send in a few things for analysis was thinking of doing this on purpose, have a known (analysed also) good batch of pure DMT and then do that to some and see what the MS shows.

-- I think this mimosa bark problem is seasonal or something, or was just a temporary thing, i'm supposed to get a small sample soon of some recent stuff to test out to see if its "back to the good old days".

I think this mimosa bark problem is seasonal or something

Most alkaloidal content of plants (overall amount as well as ratios of specific alkaloids) are subject to variation with time - one extreme example is opium, too early by days and you get more alkaloids that are metabolic precursors to morphine. Too late and the overall alkaloidal content goes down - but it happens with pretty much all natural products. That it could influence levels of individual alkaloids in M. hostilis isn't a surprise

If you used dichloromethane, it could be possible that the beta-carboline is an artifact produced by the extraction process. Dichloromethane in contact with aqueous alkali will cause a substitution recation to take place, the final product being formaldehyde. From what I remember, formaldehyde and acetaldehyde very easily react with tryptamines to form beta-carboline structures via a variation of the Mannich condensation reaction (the 2,3-double bond being the active methylene bond).

I wouldn't bet money on it, but if you carried out the extraction without the use of methylene chloride as the non-polar solvent, you wouldn't see significant amounts of the beta-carboline

PS Did you use any reagents that could have contained small/trace amounts of (or could form) formaldehyde/acetaldehyde for your T. peruvianus extraction, as phenethylamines are also susceptable to the same modified Mannich condensation, to form substituted isoquinolines?

Can this Pictet Spengler reaction still happen when the tryptamine is dialkylated.