• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Intense Depersonalization/Derealization After Marijuana Consumption

MDMA to float back in to the body.

Too bad easy remedies are cheap hence illegal.

Hey guys.. I've never really gotten into forums so this is the first time I've ever really posted in one. I don't know if I'll even get a reply - but..
I'm 17, and I got high last night for the first time. I'd smoked about 8 or 9 times before that but have never gotten high. This time I did it with 3 other people in a car, and we closed all the windows so that none of the smoke would escape.
I have pretty severe depersonalization/derealization, but when I got high some really weird shit happened..

I kept going in and out of reality. Like.. I'm not sure how to explain it. But it's like when you're asleep and you know 100% that you're dreaming, so you wake yourself up. That was happening, but with reality. And me "waking up" was me realizing that I wasn't asleep and that everything that had just happened in my head had actually happened in real life and that my body was actually there and I wasn't dreaming. I kept slipping into this dream state and then slipping back out of it for a few seconds. It was really scary and I had no control over any of it. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else? Like I said it was the first time I've ever been high, so I don't know what it's supposed to feel like..
I'm pretty sure all the other symptoms like time distortion were normal.

(EDIT: I don't think this is relevant at all - but also right before I got high (like 4 seconds) my brain went really tingly and it was like my brain got pins and needles. Does that usually happen? xD)

Last edited:
Hey guys.. I've never really gotten into forums so this is the first time I've ever really posted in one. I don't know if I'll even get a reply - but..
I'm 17, and I got high last night for the first time. I'd smoked about 8 or 9 times before that but have never gotten high. This time I did it with 3 other people in a car, and we closed all the windows so that none of the smoke would escape.
I have pretty severe depersonalization/derealization, but when I got high some really weird shit happened..

I kept going in and out of reality. Like.. I'm not sure how to explain it. But it's like when you're asleep and you know 100% that you're dreaming, so you wake yourself up. That was happening, but with reality. And me "waking up" was me realizing that I wasn't asleep and that everything that had just happened in my head had actually happened in real life and that my body was actually there and I wasn't dreaming. I kept slipping into this dream state and then slipping back out of it for a few seconds. It was really scary and I had no control over any of it. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else? Like I said it was the first time I've ever been high, so I don't know what it's supposed to feel like..
I'm pretty sure all the other symptoms like time distortion were normal.

(EDIT: I don't think this is relevant at all - but also right before I got high (like 4 seconds) my brain went really tingly and it was like my brain got pins and needles. Does that usually happen? xD)

Stop smoking weed. Like now, dude. You have mentioned that you already have DP/DR before using weed and I am telling you from personal experience it is the worst thing for your disorder. I am a Medical marijuana patient in California and all of my friends who use Marijuana for anxiety (DP/DR and anxiety often go hand in hand and some say they are related) told me the same exact thing:

Weed lifted their anxiety when they first started using but it is started getting worse than before they tried Cannabis when their body started getting used to the THC. Marijuana has lots of medicinal benefits and I have personally seen it turn people's lives around (cancer patient not being able to eat) but anxiety is not one of them, in the long term it makes anxiety worse. It has been linked to creating panic disorders, DR/DP, in otherwise (not pre-disposed) healthy people.

MDMA to float back in to the body.

Too bad easy remedies are cheap hence illegal.

Worst idea ever. Have been to many Depersonalization forums and Cannabis, MDMA, DXM and LSD/Shrooms seem to be the main culprit drugs for triggering these disorders. Alcohol and opiates cause other problems but not many people link them to DP/DR. Hallucinogenic drugs are most often linked to DP/DR although even though MDMA is not necessarily a hallucinogen it is known to cause it.

I got DP/DR from MDMA, but weed used to give me terrible anxiety and paranoia.

YOU WILL BE OK!!!

DP/DR is your brain tied in a knot from anxiety after a "stressful situation". For the first few days I was convinced I had major neurological damage after a reckless weekend. I didn't, my mind was just very upset with my poor choices.

Live healthy and stay positive and you will come out of it.

I am in month 3 of recovery and I am completely functional and about 85% back to "normal". If it weren't for my terrible caffeine withdrawls, I would probably be 100% normal now. I have been trying to ween coffee back into my life but it sets the DP/DR off like crazy.

Tips for feeling better:
Abstain from all stimulants (including caffeine which sent me back to zero multiple times),
DO NOT SMOKE ANY MORE WEED,
work out,
keep yourself busy,
stop reading about it on the internet (seriously, I made myself worse at first by reading these anonymous horror stories on BL and other sites)
It is absolutely the worst feeling ever but if you give yourself some time for your brain to set itself straight I promise that you will feel better.

For me, getting DP and suffering through it signaled that my drug days were over. The writing was on the wall. DP/DR is too shitty of a feeling to roll the dice anymore.

My good friend ate 2 pans of brownies (really ....unwise I know).

He has battled depersonilization for a few months now.

He stopped all substance use until it subsides. He describes it as extrememly disturbing, and almost everything is difficult to enjoy.

Not fun.

I just take shit one day at a time..... lol and all the drugs at once. Basically what I am trying to say is if you only think about the moment it kind of makes it better and go away. From what I read on google it seems to happen when you sit around and think about the past and various experiences and possibilities in life like an Elders Scroll or some from that video game that shit will make you go mad it says lol. Anyways from my personal experience I would have to agree and drugs may not help but I doubt it makes it worse unless you call working out your problems more quickly and effectively like worse as in it could be far more agonizingly painful?

We all can agree it is a very normal and common thing to happen for what ever reason we do not know but that would make a huge difference if we did.

Last edited:
If weed caused the DP I would definitely never smoke again. It's not worth it.

I actually just got out of a 1 1/2 hour depersonalization experience. I am under a lot of stress at the moment, and sometimes my indigestion will make it hard for me to breath (don't ask me why) which can trigger anxiety while really stoned. Thing is, I've only had these experiences when I'm under a shit ton of stress sometimes it seems random until I trace back to what was going on in my life at the moment. Another thing is if you smoke a bunch way to quickly (like I did this evening) it can trigger a very fast reaction of slipping into the stratosphere before you're fully ready. For me, normaly I like the journey of getting stoned. Not a fan of doing it all at once, but this evening I suppose I thought I was a badass. Another time this has happened to me is about 6 years ago when pep spice (legal weed substitute often sold in head shops and gas stations) was popular. And the first strains were great. But as the FDA would make them illegal, the companies would change the formula just slightly, making it deadly and unpleasant. However. Just like a real panic attack, when you do get stuck with it, its important to have coping skills, a safey safe (a place you feel completely comfortable, like your couch) and to take slow, deep breaths. Personally, if I'm at home, I'll splash some water on my face from the sink. If that doesn't work, I hop in the shower, centers me back to earth every time. Eating also helps, not letting your heart rate go up, and iv e heard dairy products are useful as well (once again no idea why). It sucks, but I'm not going to quit. Sometimes it just happens. And yes, it is real, even if it hasn't happen to you in particular. Peace out everybody. Hope this was a helpful addition.