• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Inspirational Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything by Paulo Coelho...my favorites are "The Alchemist" and "Veronika Decides to Die"...
Agree with Setarcos and HTG..."Siddhartha" is fantastic...
Anything by Harold Kushner...his best, IMO, is "When All You've Really Ever Wanted Isn't Enough"...
If you're in the mood for well-written Southern fiction, check out any of Pat Conroy's works...he really likes to explore themes of duty, honor and coming to grips with one's dysfunctions...

On The Road Jack Kerouac
The Alchemist Paulo Coelho sp?
Anthem Ayn Rand

Originally posted by shannabanana:
another fiction suggestion is "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. It's an easy read, buy it helped change my outlook on how "bad" my life really wasn't.
I love that book!! I really didn't expect very much from it when I started reading. It was one my Mom picked out and we have very different tastes in literature. I think it was one of Oprah's Book Club books (Mom loves Oprah). But I really enjoyed it and would defenately recommend it.

Definitely check out The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery :)
And if you've never read Shel Silverstein's poetry, you really should :)

props on Chuck Palahniuk and Ishmael...
Chuck's books show me a way of viewing how ugly our world is, and how some ppl forcibly wear rose-coloured glasses, even when they're aware of their own ignorance.
And Ishmael, my God, that book is mindblowing.
[ 16 July 2002: Message edited by: Furnace ]

Of Mice and Men
Tom Sawyer
Where the Red Fern Grows
Why are these books inspiring to me? Firstly, I was required to read these books in school... but I quickly began to enjoy the stories... yes, I actually enjoyed school work. Unfounded! Second, they are examples of children and adults living the way they want to, free... struggling at times, but free. They are about dreams, the dreams of man. Whether the dreams come true or not isn't the point, it's that the dreams were real to them, if just for a short time.
Dream your dreams, and try to attain them. If you never make it where you thought you'd end up, then at least appreciate the trip.

Im in tha middle of reading The Little Prince. Up 2 chapter 8 so far hehehe. Cute story.
Thanx 4 tha link!!! :)

props to gmni13 for mentioning the perks of being a wallflower by stephen chbosky. i've read this book 3 times so far, and it makes me cry everytime... not because the story is sad, but because the book and characters are so touching and beautiful. this book touches on many difficult situations, and even though the characters are fictional, it's nice to know someone can relate to you.
also, life after god by douglas coupland
catcher in the rye by j d salinger... i just finished reading it, and it was great. somehow i missed it in jr. high when everyone else had to read it. i'm glad i read it now when i appreciated it and read it because i wanted to, not because i had to.

TaskAdiKtion: Ive already read 'Go ask Alice' & tha author iz said 2 b anonymous. For any1 else itz a great read based on tha actual diary of a fifteen year old drug user.
:) smile :)

Glowbug...i agree with you about Paulo Coelho...all of his books are brilliant!! Those two are some of my fav's too, 'I sat by the river Piedra and cried' is amazing as well...
About the Celestine Prophesy...amazing book!!! There is also The Tenth Insight...the follow on from that...it's brilliant too!
enjoy!

The Alchemist is an awesome little book. :D
Veronika Decides To Die, by the same author Paulo Coelho is an excellent and inspirational read too.
It's all about the madness within all of us, and the cure for Vitriol.

"the power of positive thinking"
"notes from a friend", written by anthony robbins
"don't weat the small stuff"
"The freedom of choice"
e-mail me if you want a couple more but those are great.

I know it's been mentioned, but Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It's the only book to really change the way i've thought and it's completely impossible to describe. Totallly amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.