• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Inmates are being given a powerful psychedelic in an effort to expand their conscious

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
800065-737c9166-d679-11e4-9d75-f3c954eb789d.jpg

HARDENED inmates in a Brazilian prison who have been convicted of murder and rape are being given powerful psychedelic drugs in an effort to spiritually rehabilitate them.

The program is intended to reduce recidivism by expanding the moral consciousness of the inmates, and offers a truly novel approach to the correctional component of incarceration.

The prisoners take part in ceremonies conducted in the Amazon jungle, along with non-inmates. It may sound ill-advised to give a group of convicted criminals mind-altering psychedelics while in the world’s biggest jungle in the dead of night, but
the idea comes as a much needed alternative to the traditional processes of incarceration.

Brazil’s prison system is overflowing with inmates and is producing jails notorious for human rights violations and extreme violence. Authorities are hoping this spiritual practice could help inmates repent and atone for their heinous crimes.

799836-27e6eb76-d65a-11e4-9d75-f3c954eb789d.jpg

According to The New York Times, a prisoner’s rights group called Acuda has been offering therapeutic sessions to inmates involving yoga and meditation. After witnessing the success of these programs, they had a new idea: Why not give the inmates Ayahuasca as well?

The mixture, commonly referred to as a medicine or a tea, has powerful psychoactive properties, most notably dimethyltryptamine or DMT and many users report having intense, introspective experiences.

The substance is made by brewing two plants together and while it has been used in the Amazon for hundreds of years, the popularity of the mixture has been increasing steadily in western countries such as the United States and Australia.

The ceremony around the drinking of the tea is very ritualistic. The inmates gather in a temple, all dressed in white, as a shaman who leads the ceremony begins passing out cups of the powerful brew.

The mixture can prove incapacitating and causes many to vomit. After ingesting the Ayahuasca the inmates say they embark on an intense journey of the self, all the while accompanied by the singing of hymns. As they return to their normal state, the prisoners and other participants gather and dance together in the temple. Despite the radical nature of the approach, it is having the desired effect for many of the inmates.

“I’m finally realising I was on the wrong path in this life,” said Celmiro de Almeida, 36, who is serving a sentence for homicide. “Each experience helps me communicate with my victim to beg for forgiveness,” he told The New York Times.

Darci Altair Santos da Silva, a 43-year-old construction worker serving a 13 year sentence for the sexual abuse of a 14-year-old, said the Ayahuasca brew has helped him to reconcile his past actions.

“I know what I did was very cruel. The tea helped me reflect on this fact, on the possibility that one day I can find redemption,” he said.

CBL9mjAUYAE8eFu.jpg:large

Unsurprisingly, the radical idea has its opponents with some questioning the rehabilitative effectiveness of the program and others believing it is simply unjust.

The father of an 18-year-old girl who was raped and murdered in the area called the rehabilitation method, “utterly revolting.”

After hearing one of the men responsible for his daughter’s attack was to be taken into Acuda’s program, he was dismayed.

“My daughter’s dreams were extinguished by that man, but he will be allowed to go into the jungle and drink his tea,” he told The Times.

In addition to the ethical difficulties involved with the alternative therapy, there are of course, health risks. The drug should not be consumed by people who have recently taken narcotics such as methamphetamine or cocaine, or those using antidepressants — doing so could result in serious mental injury. Nor should it be taken by people who are susceptible to mental health issues such as schizophrenia.

However, under controlled circumstances the brew can provide something akin to a psychological cleanse for some users.

According to Dr. Charles S. Grob, a professor of psychiatry at the U.C.L.A. School of Medicine who has conducted extensive studies on Ayahuasca, the plant mixture “has great potential because under optimal conditions, it can produce a transformative experience in a person.”

799914-2fd0b510-d65a-11e4-9d75-f3c954eb789d.jpg

The program in Brazil arose out of a need to reform a prison system that was proving unsustainable and, at times, counter-productive.

This is a sentiment that has been expressed with greater frequency in the US and was highlighted by the recent interview of The Wire creator, David Simon with President Obama about the state of the US prison system and the war on drugs.

In Australia, there has been a growing debate about the effectiveness of the rehabilitive experience produced in our prisons as many facilities around the country are becoming overcrowded. This was highlighted when a group of South Australian
inmates wrote a letter to a parliamentary committee, saying many abused the system and planned to return to a life of crime upon release.

Policy makers will undoubtedly look to address these problems with more conventional methods than those adopted by the Brazilian program. But meanwhile, the popularity of Ayahuasca has exploded in Australia as many Aussies travel to

South America to try the plant. Esoteric ceremonies have begun to pop up across the country as advocates conduct their own drinking rituals.

Giving hallucinogens to prisoners to expand their moral consciousness is politically and intellectually untenable in many countries, but even those who vehemently oppose the idea will be keeping a close eye on the outcome.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...al-consciousness/story-fnpjxnqt-1227284800293

This is better than what currently happens to people in most North American and European prisons. In some cases there are more effective options than focusing on punishment.

Last edited:
This is so cool that I almost want to cry.
Those are just the people who need the amazing healing power of ayahuasca most.
To me, this represents hope for society.

Agreed. As much as what they've done is horrific, if giving them guided psychedelic experiences helps them realize that fact and becomes the catalyst for a moral and psychological change, then I'm all for it. You can't bring back their victims, but you can do as much as possible to prevent them from creating new ones.

My thoughts exactly. Society actually caring about the root causes of illness, thats a new one for me

Nice this is good news.

Prison does not seem to do the greatest job of preventing crime. In many ways it does the opposite.

I wonder how the religious extremists would react to a nice long voyage into the self. I bet it might be hard if not impossible to retain the insane morals and values of say IS.

This world is gravely ill. I hope some true leaders will emerge, because I would not follow many of the current "leaders" out of a burning building.

I hope we can heal from our collective madness and the mainstream use of psychedelics holds more than a little promis.

Anybody have a big boat.. we can head off and start pulling plastic and abandoned fishing nets from the ocean while we wait for this antiquated world awaken and catch up. Drop me a line.. it would be a great way to spend some time.

this has been done before and its stupid

http://knowledgenuts.com/2013/11/19/the-nude-lsd-therapy-that-made-psychopaths-worse/

psychedelics are not always about healing, sometimes they are about personal development which if your a psychopath means perfecting your skills. this doesn't mean being less violent

The article was humorous, mostly that last bit at the end. I have a relative who is a sociopath. Albeit a slightly bit different than a psychopath...he has mentioned that he does indeed try to hone his skills of manipulation.

psychedelics are not always about healing, sometimes they are about personal development which if your a psychopath means perfecting your skills. this doesn't mean being less violent

Maybe, for some.
But if others can heal, I am all for it.
After all, do you have another way of healing a solid percentage of hardened violent criminals?
Instead of looking at the cases that don't work, let's think about how many do work, and if there would be any other way to heal them.

How many violent criminals in Brazil are actually psychopaths?

I imagine that growing up in a impoverished favela could perhaps push some into committing violent acts, but isn't that different from psychopathy as it's defined clinically?

environments can change you into a fully fledged sociopath where you wouldn't have been as likely elsewhere. eg parental neglect

they shape you but a large amount of violent criminals display sociopathic tendencies and they wont see these traits as bad and in need of changing

environments can change you into a fully fledged sociopath where you wouldn't have been as likely elsewhere. eg parental neglect

they shape you but a large amount of violent criminals display sociopathic tendencies and they wont see these traits as bad and in need of changing

I believe so as they are not sociopath IMO, just too poor.

How many violent criminals in Brazil are actually psychopaths?

exactly.

and locking them in a room, naked, with only a straw in the wall to suck food from isn't the most conductive "therapy session" either. they've tried lots of fucked up things back then with psychedelics. many scientists tried to replicate promising results from other studies, but they didn't realize that the substance isn't the cure, it's just the tool that makes a therapeutic experience possible. doubling the dose and restraining the patient on a bed does not give the same results as doing a guided therapy session, quite the opposite.

I think all violent people should try aya, even emotoinally violent ones, the world would be a much nicer place.

I wouldn't want a rotten exploitative tail eating vampirelistic bactieria, a mosquito, experiencing nirvana in exchange for not killing! FUCK THEM and everything that makes them continue to propagate and keep them whole! May they rot and become infinite nothing, fucking indifferential zeroes in nothing but patterns of beauty! Killers= next generation's problem FUCKEM! If killers had a say in today I would pray for a comet or meteor to take everything including you away!

Last edited:
this has been done before and its stupid

http://knowledgenuts.com/2013/11/19/the-nude-lsd-therapy-that-made-psychopaths-worse/

Agreed.

Plus in Brasil Ayahuasca is legal and if someone who is not a psychopath/sociopath who is not in prison or jail, wants to take it as part of a religious ceremony they easily can.

I wouldn't want a rotten exploitative tail eating vampirelistic bactieria, a mosquito, experiencing nirvana in exchange for not killing! FUCK THEM and everything that makes them continue to propagate and keep them whole! May they rotten and become infinite nothing, fucking indifferential zeroes in nothing but patterns of beauty!

Agreed.