• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Injection Complications FAQ and Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A habit, bad one at it.

It's like from old junkie days, avoiding to waste any product. You pull back to "rinse" the barrel and push it in again. It became like a (very stupid) ritual.

Area is now about half inch in diameter, slightly red. No pain, but somewhat tender. If i hold it under hot water for 10-15 min then I can notice that site itself is whitish in color. Note, there's no lump or anything. Just tender, a bit red area around the iv site.

I slipped out of vein when I was doing last "rinse" so I am sure I only missed with blood. However the site is a bit warmer then the rest of my arm. I took an antibiotic just in case.

No pus forming on anything and it doesn't really hurt.

I am such a retard for sticking to old pointless "rituals" there's no excuse for retardness of what I did, but any input is appreciated.

If it doesn't get better by tomorrow afternoon I am prolly gonna drive to nearby town and go to ER, can't do it in my own town.

I know I did something retarded, appreciate the advices.

I do that.

I use seperate needle/barrel - and you need to flushback and 'rinse' the needle to get the bit of gear thats left in the base of the needle after the initial push.

I loaded up a shot of dope and went to register, and then slipped out of the vein, now my shot is completely blood red looking in the syringe and I can't re-register and tell if I'm in the vein now. Should I just throw this syringe out and waste the product or can I still safely shoot this blood/dope mix, and if yes, how so?

-dp

I loaded up a shot of dope and went to register, and then slipped out of the vein, now my shot is completely blood red looking in the syringe and I can't re-register and tell if I'm in the vein now. Should I just throw this syringe out and waste the product or can I still safely shoot this blood/dope mix, and if yes, how so?

-dp

I sure as hell wouldn't chuck it out.

I would squirt it back out into a clean filter, add a little water and refilter it through a fresh cotton.

You don't really need to be able to see the blood - if you pull back, and the syringe doesn't fill up you KNOW you haven't hit the vein. If the syringe fills up when you pull back - you know you have.

Update: my arm is fine, redness and white area in center are gone, can't even find the iv mark.

What i did was:

DISCLAIMER: It's always best to seek medical help for iv complications, I don't recommend threating it yourself. However it is complicated for me (I have to go to the ER in other town) so I would go only if I see that it's getting worse. I am no doctor and I don't even know if anything of following helped, but here's what I did:

Lots of pressurized hot water pouring on the iv site. Did that about 15 times during the day, each time 2-3 minutes.

Applied some antibacterial creme twice during the day

Disinfected the site every couple of hours.

Hope this helps out someone but remember

IF IT STARTS GETTING WORSE THE DAY FOLLOWING YOUR IV GO TO THE ER!

Do not fuck with it, I've treated abscesses on my own in the past but I don't recommend it to anyone. GO TO THE ER.

-dp
Dilute more, if you have volume left in the syringe, and refilter(as already mentioned). Do it as soon as possible as the blood will start clotting.

You could also snort it. Kinda nasty, but it's better than wasting product. :\

I sure as hell wouldn't chuck it out.

I would squirt it back out into a clean filter, add a little water and refilter it through a fresh cotton.

You don't really need to be able to see the blood - if you pull back, and the syringe doesn't fill up you KNOW you haven't hit the vein. If the syringe fills up when you pull back - you know you have.

Aye good advise, but you'd want to work pretty quickly though. Once you have a significant amount of blood in the shot it'll start thickening/clotting right?

Okay I need some technique help. I have teeny tiny veins and have fucked a few through missed shots, being shakey when injecting, pushing the needle through the vein, and just generally being crap at iv'ing. How on earth do you use a tourniquet? I can't seem to tie off, insert needle, register, and then loosen the tourniquet without knocking the needle. Do you use your teeth to loosen the tourni?

Also, would you expect a missed hit to still be a bit tender a week later? I ran it under hot water at the time, the swelling went down, and it looks fine now but still hurts a little when touched.

^belarki, are you able to have someone else there with you to tie you off and let it go? or simple get them to use their hands for it?

there are proper tourniquets which you should be able to acquire from a needle exchange. i see you're in brisbane but not which part, but i'm pretty sure the exchange around roma st, near the police station has them along with all the other stuff you need. the only thing you pay for is wheel/micron filters.

alternatively you can use something like a belt or piece of string with a knot tied around one end which you slip through.

you want to have the tourniquet around 6 inches above from where you're shooting and ideally be using something like your leg (if you're sitting down) to hold down the pressure on it until you've registered and ready to release it. you can use your teeth/mouth as well.

i'll find a guide to using a tourniquet shortly and edit it into the original post.

Dilute more, if you have volume left in the syringe, and refilter(as already mentioned). Do it as soon as possible as the blood will start clotting.

You could also snort it. Kinda nasty, but it's better than wasting product. :\

you could always plug it as well

^belarki, are you able to have someone else there with you to tie you off and let it go? or simple get them to use their hands for it?

there are proper tourniquets which you should be able to acquire from a needle exchange. i see you're in brisbane but not which part, but i'm pretty sure the exchange around roma st, near the police station has them along with all the other stuff you need. the only thing you pay for is wheel/micron filters.

I am mostly alone when injecting.... yeh yeh I know I know.... no need to lecture me on that. I know the health clinic you're taking about, I get my fits from there anyway so I'll ask for a tourni next time I pop by :)

wow thanks for that picture of the used needles.. really informative and graphic

imagine what happens when you drop it on the ground

Cleaning/Healing/Covering Track Marks Up

So I've developed some nasty track marks on my arms recently. I've always scarred easily so even when I'm clean and thorough and change rigs every time depending if I am having trouble hitting veins or just constant injecting track marks are a part of it. Now I stopped for a while, but still bear scars on my arms on my inside elbows, they are a few months old so I try and leave them alone. I work near them and have developed some nasty ones recently. I went on a binge and I had some trouble the last 2 days so my arms are like pin cushions. I know the wounds will heal, but I want someone who is knowledgeable in this. I want them to heal as cleanly as possibly, least amount of scarring. And I also want to take care of the additional scarring on my arms as a result of past shooting up. I have stopped for now and don't intend to shoot in my arms anymore.

I am, in fact, taking a break. Shooting once in a while is always fine, never leaves scars or marks, but it's when I have a habit the track marks appear and the wounds and scars are left. Now I am starting to go tanning because I am pale and the color might help the scaring and healing process, but does anyone know any good remedies or products to help get rid of the scarring existing already? I am tired of walking around in June with long sleeve shirts. It was ok in the winter, but now it's getting out of control. The bruising and wounds will heal in a few days, but I need the best possible way to heal these suckers and get normal arms again. They are definitely noticeable by the average person. I need to get them to as close as normal skin as possible. Make up is not an option. I need to them to heal and then I need to treat the scar tissue. Time isn't an issue. Well, it is.. but I just want to be normal in a few weeks so I can walk around no worries without getting questions or looks. Anyone have experience with track marks and treating them? And the scars left behind?

I put vitamin e on it every night. I use aloe and if I am in the sun I use mediderm - zinc oxide, aloe and spf. I sometimes use lavendar essential oil.

i use cover up if it is bad. usually people do not notice ... really. i was really preoccupied with my marks. it is stranger to wear long sleeves on a hot day and sweat profusely -- that is sketchier

I put vitamin e on it every night. I use aloe and if I am in the sun I use mediderm - zinc oxide, aloe and spf. I sometimes use lavendar essential oil.

i use cover up if it is bad. usually people do not notice ... really. i was really preoccupied with my marks. it is stranger to wear long sleeves on a hot day and sweat profusely -- that is sketchier

So Vitamin E and Aloe? Good with healing and scarring?

Yes i have used some vitamine E thing and it heals the marks really good!
And if you're pale getting some sunshine and getting some color does both you and you're needle tracks wonders!

Yes i have used some vitamine E thing and it heals the marks really good!
And if you're pale getting some sunshine and getting some color does both you and you're needle tracks wonders!

Been going tanning the last 2 days at the tanning salon 8) and I can already see a difference. I got some Vitamin E gel caps and Mederma and starting to use that. The bruising and wounds are healing real fast. Redness is going down. So I'll basically just have to deal with the scars which I am treating. I hope once I get more tan it really covers it up almost 90%.

Status
Not open for further replies.