• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Inflammatory biomarkers??

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Long since the hypothesis as to proinflammatory cytokine overactivation relative to depressive aetiology.

Recently - my joints are clicking like crazy (relative to 'itis - inflammation), and I have blood in my stool (possible colon inflammation).

And of course long standing severe depression - or depressive symptoms - despite being a happy-go-lucky, spritely individual.

Are there like, inflammatory biomarkers that can show up in blood tests?

And if inflammation is an issue - how is it treated?

I know there've been trials on NSAID's - minocycline - downregulation of proinflammatory proteins - and diet modifications to increase anti-oxidants etc.

But the only thing that's been effective for me is high dose combination monoamine based enhancers.

Apparently they can also downegulate proinflammatory proteins - according to more recent data.

Any insights here??

Are there like, inflammatory biomarkers that can show up in blood tests?

I mean, yeah, there are, but blood assays are relatively non-organ-specific as the blood kind of circulates everywhere... so AFAIK inflammation is usually diagnosed by physical examination, e.g. CT scan, colonoscopy, palpitation, observation of swelling/discoloration etc...

high dose combination monoamine based enhancers.

Cocaine? MDA?

There are certainly biomarkers of the kind you are thinking of. TNF-a, quite a few of the interleukins etc.

Generally immunological testing, aside from the more common patch-test/skin prick tests where multiple common allergens are used to diagnose the source of an allergy, a specific condition or group of suspects are needed, to direct the type of testing done. Bloodwork would be the first port of call IMO, it depends, sekio, whether the inflammation is a gross pathology, E.g bodyparts swelling up, or if its more subtle, such as vasculitides, autoantibodies targeted against specific targets (not that I'm suggesting the OP has this, he doesn't, but a good example of that would be anti-NMDAr encephalitis, which is pretty much what it sounds like, autoantibodies reactive against NMDA receptors, vastly more common in females, due usually to the presence of an ovarian teratoma hosting multiple cell types, antibodies reactive against the tumour crossreact with NMDA receptors in the places they are meant to be. Causing things like dissociation, psychosis, automatism type stereotypy, seizures, coma)

I heard of that NMDA encephalitis - some psychiatrist on twitter was posting about anti-biotic based treatment for it.

I've seen a gastro and endocrinologist - who've done - what they've told me, are the most comprehensive battery of physical examinations available - all hormone level, lots of bloodwork; not sure what the bloodwork entailed but - as to an autoimmune or inflammatory condition, what blood tests would be done?
No issue with my bowel either - had an endoscopy done.

Can they actually test for TNF-a and interleukins?

But yeah - as to social media, lots of research based psychiatrists constantly updating as to autoimmune disorders seemingly being a highly probably cause of depressive and/or psychotic disorders.

Just with other symptoms consistent with inflammation that I mentioned - it makes me wonder.

I mean, yeah, there are, but blood assays are relatively non-organ-specific as the blood kind of circulates everywhere... so AFAIK inflammation is usually diagnosed by physical examination, e.g. CT scan, colonoscopy, palpitation, observation of swelling/discoloration etc...

Cocaine? MDA?

Mianserin + Atomoxetine + Sertraline - all full doses.

That is - as best I can tell - the most potent possible monoamine enhancement combination known to pharmacology.

I've seen a gastro and endocrinologist - who've done - what they've told me, are the most comprehensive battery of physical examinations available - all hormone level, lots of bloodwork; not sure what the bloodwork entailed but - as to an autoimmune or inflammatory condition, what blood tests would be done?
No issue with my bowel either - had an endoscopy done.

Can they actually test for TNF-a and interleukins?

there's plenty of markers of autoimmune diseases (e.g. wbc count) and also lots of inflammatory markers that can be present and detected. (antibodies etc)

yes, they can test for effectively any protien, by using things like gel electrophoresis or size-exclusion chromatography to test for the specific m.w. range of the protien.

monoamine enhancement combination known to pharmacology.
Yeah, uh, no. Look into methamphetamine's pharmacology.

Most of the activity of those drugs is as (comparatively mild) reuptake inhibition. Mianserin goes a step farther and has antiserotonergic / yohimbine-like anti-a2 receptor action as well, making it probably the strongest of
the 3 as a stimulant, but still wholly incomparable to drugs that outright dump monoamines into the synapse or strong triple-reuptake inhibitors.

Long since the hypothesis as to proinflammatory cytokine overactivation relative to depressive aetiology. Recently - my joints are clicking like crazy (relative to 'itis - inflammation), and I have blood in my stool (possible colon inflammation).

I've been using prednisone to control my inflammation for 20 years and believe me, prednisone is hands down the best anti-inflammatory drug there is. Just go easy. 10mg per day ought to be enough to sort out whatever inflammation you have. Once much improved, try dropping the dose to 5mg. The rule of thumb is, only take it when you really need it. I'd avoid NSAIDs, ibuprofen etc, which can cause increased bleeding, and further bowel disruption.

You may need to play with dose a bit and see how you're getting on, but try hard not to take over 20mg of prednisone a day. And if you're not a lot better soon, see a doctor!

As for depression, maybe have a look here:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/823370-Treating-depression-with-psychedelics

peace

Last edited: