• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Infection?? Please help

1800-GOT-JUNK

Greenlighter
I have a spot on my leg caused from missing a cotton shot. Looks like a large nasty bruise but is intensely painful area near the center is slightly swollen and darker people than the rest feels like a hard lump. A little warm but not as warm as a typical abscess. I've had infections before and this doesn't look like others I've had buy the pain has me concerned. I'll work on getting a photo uploaded but in the meantime... Anyone seen/experienced anything like this. Do I need medical attention?

Go to a hospital, and seek medical attention immediately. Be honest about how you injected drugs. Stay safe.

Sounds like an abscess to me. Best to head to a doctor before it gets worse. You can probably get by with seeing a walk in the box doctor right now if you have insurance. If not head for the ER.

Id be cautious about this, this could turn out to be a clot if you not careful. At the very least see you doc!

Problem is I have no health insurance and the bill from emergency room could be thousands. I've had abscesses before and this doesn't look like anything I've ever seen.

Update: it's now developing black spots but the pain has gone down significantly. Managed to get ahold of STRONG antibiotics and applying hot compresses. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had anything like this happen. I was attempting to hit a small surface vein in my lower outside thigh.

dude, just go to the ER, fuck the billing. I was homeless for like, 1 1/2 years before I got health insurance and I went to the ER probably 20 times for asthma/sepsis/abscess etc. They always treated me, and even gave me free medication. Perhaps this was because I was homeless, and Alta Bates in Oakland, as well as Highland have a real good reputation with how they deal with addicts, but whatever. I'm sure they'll treat you, and they could probably help you get onto medicaid 'cause it sounds like you need it.

And yeah, I've seen a thousand things that look like what you are describing, on me and on other people. It could be an abscess, you could have MRSA, or it could just go away. No one here can tell you you're diagnosis, so go to the ER! Believe me, you don't want to get some bullshit like endocarditis.

dude, just go to the ER, fuck the billing. I was homeless for like, 1 1/2 years before I got health insurance and I went to the ER probably 20 times for asthma/sepsis/abscess etc. They always treated me, and even gave me free medication. Perhaps this was because I was homeless, and Alta Bates in Oakland, as well as Highland have a real good reputation with how they deal with addicts, but whatever. I'm sure they'll treat you, and they could probably help you get onto medicaid 'cause it sounds like you need it.

And yeah, I've seen a thousand things that look like what you are describing, on me and on other people. It could be an abscess, you could have MRSA, or it could just go away. No one here can tell you you're diagnosis, so go to the ER! Believe me, you don't want to get some bullshit like endocarditis.

Thanks I'll go after work today I think it'll prob go away but not risking it. My credit is so fucked anyway what's another 3k?

Ask about Charity Care. Nearly all hospitals offer this to uninsured patients with low income and little money. You bill will be paid through this via charitable donations used to exactly for cases like yours.

In the United States they have to treat you no matter insurance or not. I have thousands in ER visit bills before I got Medicaid. Fuck it. Like you said if your credit is bad what's a bit more into collections?? Your life and literal limb is way more important. It could be nothing, but it is ALWAYS better safe than sorry.

I went to the emergency room. I caused a surface vein to explode and blood pooled up Under the skin and and got infected. They cleared it up and dug out a hole the size of fist in my lower thigh of infection which is more packed with gauze. It felt great and was lots of Fun! Lesson learned is go to a doctor if it hurts.

Though it was not fun, at least you didn't wait until it was so bad you'd have been coming home minus the leg.

It's always a good idea to go to the doctor's. Just the peace of mind is worth it.

Glad everything worked out for you