• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Indonesian court upholds death penalty for drug offenses

Crazeee said:
No question their laws are fucked up, but how typical of westerners to go in and try to change a CONSTITUTION of that country because they do not like their sentences.

^^^i totally agree with that. it's pretty fucked up.
but at the same time if there was capital punishment for drug offenses in the US, that'd be alot of dead people. what is it, like 1 out of 100 are incarcerated for mostly non-violent drug offenses? That'd be alot of dead people. :\

The Constitutional Court ruled 6 to 3 that a 2000 constitutional amendment upholding the right to life did not apply to capital punishment. The court added that the right to life had to be balanced against the rights of victims of drug trafficking.

victims of drug trafficking? who are these victims? The final consumers, who willingly choose to use the drugs? Or all the people paid off to see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil?

I'm confused who they think the "victims" are...

I believe far more than 1 in 100 are incarcerated for non-violent drug offenses if by 1 in 100 you are talking about existing prison population.

They think of the victims as those that are negatively affected by addicts and traffickers. The addicts being just as guilty as the traffickers.

acormon said:
The Constitutional Court ruled 6 to 3 that a 2000 constitutional amendment upholding the right to life did not apply to capital punishment. The court added that the right to life had to be balanced against the rights of victims of drug trafficking.

victims of drug trafficking? who are these victims? The final consumers, who willingly choose to use the drugs? Or all the people paid off to see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil?

I'm confused who they think the "victims" are...

In their logic , "Victims" are the drug addicts who got addicted by the "ruthless drug peddlers" against their will :p

Why isn't the Australian government ready to invade Indonesia? I would gladly publicly torture and kill anyone who thinks this is okay. And I honestly mean that. I would cut out your organs one by one and feed them to you, you sick motherfuckers. DEATH TO INDONESIA. DEATH TO ALL EVIL MEN!

P.S. I don't mean to say that all Indonesians are evil, but the 6 who think it's okay to murder honest merchants deserve to die horrible excruciating deaths.

I don't at all suport such a draconian drug policy, but the "Bali 9" knew exactly what they were getting themselves into when they chose to smuggle heroin into Indonesia. Out of pity, I hope they get clemency, but when you enter another country, you play by their rules. As a soveriegn state, Indonesia isn't obliged to change their approach to criminal justice simply because the convicted are foreign nationals.

n4k33n said:
rachamim, Thank you for the insight into the Philippines. I am amazed that you manage to abuse opiates under those conditions. It must be pretty frightening sometimes. I can't even imagine. Your story is actually very interesting to many on the board. If you ever have time, you should write a longer piece on what its like to have an opiate addiction in the Philippines. I know I'm not the only one who would love to read more.

Check out his journal.

his? damn that's the 2nd time this week I found a long time member was a diff gender than I'd been assuming lol

This is just INSANE!
I had no idea that laws were this strict in some countries. With laws like this and people still trying to deal drugs in those areas, how has the U.S.A not figured out that their war on drugs is just NOT going to work EVER?
Canada is gonna fall down that stupid ass path too.
How do the people in power get there? We need some of the more intelligent bluelighters running our countries! Just imagine how great this world would be. If only.....

BL4: "Why are the Bali 9 still alive on death row if drug crimes are automatuc death penalty cases?": One thing has nothing to do with the other. One aspect, death row, relates to their sentence after having been found guilty, The other apsect is the sentence applied ONCE FOUND GUILTY. So...One needs to go to trial in order to bw found guilty.

I will add that one may be detained both here and there in Indonesia for many years before even going to trial.. No "Speedy Trial" in the part of the wolrd, as you have in N. America.

Danker: "It is wrong for foreigners to try and change a country's basic system/rule of law just because THEY made a mistake and got caught.": OK, but here is the things. Not one of these nations has had basic citizens offer input into the formation of that underlying system.

These nations are incredibly corrupt even up to the point of police dealing the drugs , murdering inncoent people, and performing extortion. If one is truly guilts, I would offer from a moralistic point of view that they should accept the consequnces of their actions...although this is certainly more easier said than done. If anyone was on any deathrow I would imagine that the ony thought floating through their minds would be on how to avoid their premature deaths.

IamJack: "Indonesia being a sovereign state is under no obligation whatsoever to modify its approach to jurisprudence just because some foreigners got nabbed in a voluntary act.": I would agree but then one needs to truly consiuder that ALOT of people in this part of the world are truly framed.

Offering one of many cases: A lady's husband was travelling on his job as an itinerant house painter here in the Philippines, when she went to a neighbourhood pump to gather water for her morning grooming needs when a well known friend of her husband approached saying hi.''

He asked if he might use use her "CR" (local affectation meaning Comfort Room and standing for bathroom). She obliged the man. As they approached her Nipa pronounced "neepah" bamboo shack with thatched grass roof, the dwelling perhaps 90% live in here) she saw 3 men moving about in the shack;s only room.

They came out and told her that she was under arrest. When she had calmed down she asked why and the police pulled from their pocket a medium sized vial of honeyoil (cannabis resin). Since it weighed 11 grams, and 10 is the minimum, she was sentenced to death upon the finding of guilt.

As a person who obviously pays alot of attention to the dynamic, I have yet to oberse 2 people in the this entire nation of more than 7000 island , receiving a verdict of innconet, or having the charges dropped.

Was she guilty? Cannot say but I will tell you that in a nation where police sell the most drugs, where they do not need video or any other kind of corroborating evidence in order to charge a person with a drug crime....Or a nation where police do motorcycle drive bys on drugdealers who refuse to pay police off...I would offer that a whole lot of folks are sitting terrified in prison for crimes they have not done.

Alternatively, under the laws here, if anyone came to visit my home, and I had a 200 poppy seed bagels, that visitor would be getting no less than 12 years and up to 20 whether or not they knew of my possesion becaue of the way the laes are structured.

"Smuggling heroin into Indonesia." But theyer not doing that. They were trying to smuggle it out. To import it is VERY easy. Just like the Philippines Indonesia a series of small to medium islands. All one need do is ship it via sea down the Asian coast from Cambodia, Nam, or even Thailand.

Another possibility is to just take a ferry from Malaysia or the Philippines because most ferry routes here have no Immigration control.

Bingalpaws: Why would you picture me as female? If it is the woman in my avatar, she is my wife and that is her youngest brother. I have 15 or 16 pictures up in Gallery.

The real problem I see, is how they can give the death penalty and various other long sentences to drug peddlers, and yet men like Abu Bakar Bashir who was convicted of conspiring in the 2002 Bali Bombings, that killed 202 can get a sentence of 2 and a half years in prison.

Yeas but remember that Indoensai si literally the most populous Islamic nation in the world. Its values are tied to Islam and in any poor Islamic nation extremism is far from unpopular. Foreginers on drugs though is a much diffeent situation.

rachamim said:
3: I am all for the Death Penalty, just not as America practices it and just not for issues revolving around ilicit substances.

To others: Thanks for the kind words.

So the death penalty is ok for people who make different mistakes to you?

Use murder for an example:

So it's ok for the gov't to kill someone because that person killed someone else...? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Governement has proven to be the most efficient and cold blooded murderer/crime mechanism throughout history....

Not to mention the amount of times that the judicial system gets it wrong, either through police fitups or otherwise....

For Perth people, think Mallard... He would have fried years ago for nothing....

"Death penalty ok for making mistakes." No, for committing grievous crimes involving victims. Bit of a difference there.

"It is ok for the govt. to execute people who murder and that makes no sense." Um, it makes perfect sense. America is a joke. Sentencing a person to death and then allowing appeals to wind their way through the sytem for sometimes decades is defeating the purpose. Allow a set number of appeals for checks and balances but expedite them. Once appeals are exhausted, see ya later.

Look, if you are not retarded, are mature, and not mentally ill you must take responsibility for your actions. I do not take death lightly, having killed I can say it with certainty. However, I also am able to recognise the need for a set of parameters to protect people who are not able to defend themselves, or those who just get vitcimised in an act of random ugliness.

The American system does NOT deter. However, can you say the same of the Saudi system? When people know that they WILL pay a steep price, and sooner rather than later, they tend to act with a bit more forethought.

"Amount of time Govt. gets it wrong." Indeed but then that is the American System, not that of other nations. In my culture, one needs a set number of independant witnesses, and corroborating evidence. Mistakes were rare, and the Saudi today can also claim the same (although I hate that nation and its govt. for other reasons).

Red2Green said:
Even the most evil people who commit the most horrendous murderous acts are not to be judged by man, but by God.
haha good post til that man.

Agree with everything there, just swap the judged by god with killing is wrong, end story.

Living in Australia, it's very tempting to wish someone would just turn Indonesia into an ashtray, but we have to be careful not to spark a regional arms race.

But I wonder how many ICBMs we could have bought with the $1 000 000 000AUD we gave the bastards?