Incriminated myself online

H

help

I have posted loads of incriminating stuff on the net, without using a proxy thingy to hide my isp. I pissed of someone who runs a muscle forum and he is reporting me to the police (we had an argument and I posted loads of disturbing stuff on his board). There is so much illegal stuff I have talked about. Am i fucked?

If you have posted information online that poses a legal threat, then delete it. Depending on what sort of information has been posted, prosecutors typically need more than a rant on a drug board. Though there are certainly anecdotal instances, even on this board, of posts and picture being used as evidence in a criminal investigation.

unless theres a pot field in your backyard or a kilo of coke under your bed i wouldent worry to much about it

...and try not to piss off people who run muscle boards, because they usually have quite a temper to begin with... duh.

themessiah said:
what type of stuff did you post?
you could always do that thing to get a new ip
ipconfig /renew put that in run an you should get a new ip
Also prove it was you who was on the computer unless your the only person who lives in the house

not all the time...a fair amount of ISP's these days assign static IP's to its users (the ip is assigned and is permantant). your method will only work if you have a dynamic IP which changes. and that wont do anything anyway even if u change the IP if someone really wanted 2 get you, the logs at the ISP will show that YOUR computer was using that IP at a certain time very easily

jerkoff27 said:
not all the time...a fair amount of ISP's these days assign static IP's to its users (the ip is assigned and is permantant). your method will only work if you have a dynamic IP which changes. and that wont do anything anyway even if u change the IP if someone really wanted 2 get you, the logs at the ISP will show that YOUR computer was using that IP at a certain time very easily
ISP's are not that quick to disclose that information. It is actually quite difficult to get them to give out any private info. However, going to the ISP isn't actually needed as long as the MAC address was logged. This is a physical address burned into to each individual NIC. There are simple and obvious ways to get around MAC address though.

MAC addresses are part of the Ethernet layer of your network. They don't get transmitted with TCP/IP packets across the internet. It's also not 'burned' into a NIC, it's in recorded in solid state memory along with the NIC's internal software. Burned would imply some kind of laser etching or soldering or other use of heat to physically modify the circuit board.

ISPs hand out logs of customer data with no questions asked when they are subpoenaed, or when the DEA/FBI asks them nicely. They'll have your name, address, phone number, history of every IP address you've used with time and date attached, credit card number, etc.

[no name calling, please. bq]

Last edited by a moderator:
Church said:
...and try not to piss off people who run muscle boards, because they usually have quite a temper to begin with... duh.

Haha, yeah... and muscles too.

Cerp said:
ISP's are not that quick to disclose that information. It is actually quite difficult to get them to give out any private info. However, going to the ISP isn't actually needed as long as the MAC address was logged. This is a physical address burned into to each individual NIC. There are simple and obvious ways to get around MAC address though.

You cant trace a MAC address to an individual's computer, as there is no record of what computer has what MAC address. Also my friend once recieved a letter from his ISP warning him that the RIAA had requested they turn over his information. They just told him to stop doing it and that their privacy policy wont allow them to disclose such information until orderd to do so by a court. And to get a court to order that takes alot of legal work.

That's the RIAA - they're an industry association, not the government. Some ISPs are into freedom and privacy, but a whole lot of them will bend over backwards to placate the FBI.

i cant imagine that there is anyway that such flimsy evidence (if you even want to call it evidence) could ever hold up in court...
there are a zillion creative explanations you could come up with to put it in the "NOT beyond a reasonable doubt" category

themessiah said:
what type of stuff did you post?
Quoted for relevance.

I presume you posted drug-related stuff, yes? Well, as someone else said, unless you've got a stack of drugs at home, you've nothing to really worry about.

I'd imagine if the "disturbing stuff" you posted extended to you making death threats, you'd be more at risk of being charged for harrassment than you ever will be for drug possession.

Just my .02.