• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Increased OD risk when breaking through Naltrexone Blockade. Why?

Draco889

Greenlighter
So, I've been on the Vivitrol shot for a few months now. I've never tried to break through the blockade for numerous reasons, one of which is the supposedly greater OD risk associated with that type of activity. A cursory google search will show most accounts of users attempting to break through are associated in one way or another with overdose. What I can't seem to find, for whatever reason, is a clear explanation as to why that is the case. It seems to be assumed that people who try to break through simply aren't familiar with their internal playing field, so to speak, and end up taking more than is necessary. However, considering how forcefully warnings are given against overcoming a naltrexone blockade and the fact that anyone taking naltrexone would be aware that they no longer know where their tolerance is at, I find it extremely unlikely that some degree of titration wasn't involved in any of these cases.
Now, one interesting thing I read regarding the dangers of the whole loperamide/pgp inhibitor combo was that even if lopermaide has a hard time getting though the BBB and acting centrally, that has no bearing on its ability to act peripherally. As a result, it ends up having wonky effects on your heart which can end up causing serious damage. I read another thread here on BL about a person trying to overcome a vivitrol shot directly after it was administered who took enough fent that they surely would have ODd if not for the naltrexone. They reported that the opioids did not get them high at all. However, they felt a distinct shortness of breath and later reported feeling sick. This struck me as quite strange. Even under heavy opioid-induced respiratory depression I never noticed feeling "short of breath". They chalked up the sick feeling to precipitated w/d, which also doesn't make much sense because the fent clearly never hit their receptors enough to get them high in the first place.
All of this makes me suspect that shooting past a vivitrol shot is dangerous in part due to the peripheral effects of whatever opioid is being taken. Thoughts?

EDIT:
Looking over my post I realized I didn't explain the whole loperamide thing particularly well. Because such a massive dose of an otherwise powerful opioid is needed to break through the BBB and cause CNS effects, recreational doses of lopermide can cause strange PNS effects not otherwise seen in rec doses of more traditional opiates. I think a strong analogy can be drawn between the aforementioned situation and an attempt to use massive doses of dope in the presence of a naltrexone blockade.

Last edited:
The idea of "breaking through" the naltrexone is not quite accurate. The naltrexone blockade has a half life of about 5-10 hours, on average. The average opiate has a similar half life, but longer duration. So the conflict is actually with half-lives that don't overlap. If someone takes more opiate than needed due to the naltrexone blockade, the person will theoretically be OK until the naltrexone blockade gets weaker. Then the full opiate dose will become apparent.

My unscientific view from taking naltrexone and opiates is that opiates act on more than the physiology that naltrexone blockade.

This is my guess. People use high doses to overcome the "blockade effect". After not being on opiates for a while, your tolerance goes down and once you use a high enough dose, to try to get through it, they overdose because of it. I could be completely wrong.

The idea of "breaking through" the naltrexone is not quite accurate. The naltrexone blockade has a half life of about 5-10 hours, on average. The average opiate has a similar half life, but longer duration. So the conflict is actually with half-lives that don't overlap. If someone takes more opiate than needed due to the naltrexone blockade, the person will theoretically be OK until the naltrexone blockade gets weaker. Then the full opiate dose will become apparent.

My unscientific view from taking naltrexone and opiates is that opiates act on more than the physiology that naltrexone blockade.
Legit question brotha, I thought the Vivitrol shot lasted 28 days? How does the naltrexone blockade have a half-life of only 5-10 hours, if it lasts 28 days?

Apologies, I just realized we're talking about different things. Ignore my post.

As far as I remember naltraxone is great at blocking the pleasure but not so great at blocking the depressant effects of opiates. Since the user doesn't get any pleasure, he/ she keeps on dosing which at the end depresses the respiration and circulation. This is how I remember it. Sorry, too lazy to find the article. Good luck.